[Mk2] [Turbo] some progress pics, GT3071R MR2

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kingsley

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] some progress pics, GT3071R MR2

Post by kingsley »

BTW, those of you who have WI as well as an intercooler/chargecooler, and inject at some point before the intercooler/chargecooler (whether that be pre or post compressor) ... do you have any issues with water condensing out in the core?

Not that I've ever read about that being a problem but I wondered if it would happen.

Cheers,
Kingsley.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

I didnt write that, that was Ashmans quote.

You mean Rob or RDS with the WI sensor pre throttle?

John injects before the intercooler (pre compressor) and has had no ill effects, might be best to ask him.
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
kingsley

Post by kingsley »

T.F.S. wrote:I didnt write that, that was Ashmans quote.

Hmm yes you're right, not sure how I got that mixed up.

T.F.S. wrote:You mean Rob or RDS with the WI sensor pre throttle?

No idea.

T.F.S. wrote:John injects before the intercooler (pre compressor) and has had no ill effects, might be best to ask him.

I'll see what he says if I get him on the topic.

After I wrote that, I saw that WI page that was linked on here and they said don't inject pre-intercooler as well, but they didn't say why. I'm guessing they could be either worried about condensation collecting in the intercooler, or possibly the WI bringing the charge temp down to ambient already in which case the intercooler offers no benefit in that example. I would have thought that there ought not be a problem injecting pre-compressor as long as you were careful not to overdo the flow from that injector.

Cheers,
Kingsley.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Progress has been slow recently due to the failed Devils own controller, I have been waiting for a new coolingmist replacement.

The only other change that has been made to the car is to the IAT sensor position, it has been moved into the stock location.

Ambient temp for this midnight run was 20c, it looks like the lines filled on first application of WOT before temps became stable at circa 50c.

The new controller allows me to start injection at 1psi rather than 2psi, on small throttle openings with around 3psi of boost temps drop into freezing!, the logs did not show this before so maybe these recorded inlet temps are due to the repositioning of the IAT sensor..maybe the meth is pooling at this point

In short the inlet temps at WOT were higher than I expected and temps at low throttle openings were way lower than previously recorded.

I plan to move the IAT sensor back to it's previous position and replace one of the 5GPH nozzles for a 10GPH or maybe I could add another pump into the system to boost pressure to the nozzles
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

IAT sensor was moved back to the previous boost pipe position and another log recorded, the ambient temp was around 26c+ tonight...very hot

Temps remained in the high 40c range which is to be expected given ambient conditions.

I think I may swap out one of the 5gph nozzles for a 12gph nozzle when the car gets mapped.

And that ends the testing for this year, with the temps in the 40c region with hot ambient temps there is not much that needs attention before the car is mapped at the beginning of the next season, as mentioned we will increase the injected amount to take the extra boost that will be used into account.

I am sure that anyone that has read this far will want to see a dyno graph of the finished article and hopefully the wait will not be too long.
kingsley

Post by kingsley »

How are you getting hot ambient temps during night time at this time of year in England? Or by "ambient" are you referring to your engine bay?

Cheers,
Kingsley.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

The post/test was constructed in Summer...ambient temps on that night was 26c, the ambient temp can be viewed on pretty much all of the graphs at the beginning of the graph under IAT.

If it had of been last night with circa 5c temps the average on boost inlet temps would have been a lot closer to 25c.

Having inlet temps dip into the freezing (0c) range when on small amounts of boost on a 20c ambient with no intercooling was an eye opener eh? :shock:
kingsley

Post by kingsley »

Yes quite an eye opener indeed!

I presume you didn't have that post sitting in your editor for 5 months! It was when you said "tonight" that made me think it was recent.

Cheers,
Kingsley.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Lol yea I can understand why it looks funny, I normally update one of the threads I have on this car and then copy them across to all threads but this one was missed out on the last post a few months back.

August 18th going by the original post just to keep the timescale correct on this thread.
http://www.mr2oc.com/showpost.php?p=503 ... tcount=123
Turbonoz

Post by Turbonoz »

Are you interested in entering Ten of the Best this year? With a 3071R, it would be rude not to...

If so, please post in this thread so I have an idea of numbers: www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=167982
92 MR2 Turbo Rev2 stock engine, Link G3 TURBONOZ mapped, T78: 487bhp & 364lbft; 11.78@120. NOW BREAKING: www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1542658
94 GTiR: 12.08@115 TOTB Sold :(
92 300ZX: 12.6@113 (415bhp) 570bhp, 500lbft
00 Clio 172
05 WRX PPP
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Would love to but on a stock clutch it wouldn't be competitive,just can't get a decent launch without frying it!

2015 I may be interested!
Turbonoz

Post by Turbonoz »

T.F.S. wrote:Would love to but on a stock clutch it wouldn't be competitive,just can't get a decent launch without frying it!

2015 I may be interested!

That's a shame mate, been wanting to have a nosey around your car for some time after reading your build thread. It's not just the 1/4 mile though, there's the handling course & top speed runs as well....

What better place to promote all your WI systems too :whistle:
92 MR2 Turbo Rev2 stock engine, Link G3 TURBONOZ mapped, T78: 487bhp & 364lbft; 11.78@120. NOW BREAKING: www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1542658
94 GTiR: 12.08@115 TOTB Sold :(
92 300ZX: 12.6@113 (415bhp) 570bhp, 500lbft
00 Clio 172
05 WRX PPP
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Well after 10-12 years of ownership and 4 years after this thread started I am afraid to say the car has been parted out and sold in bits.

It's been an interesting 4 years updating this thread, people thought I was either stupid, ignorant or both when I suggested fitting a GT3071 to the stock rev2 engine and running over 1 bar, people thought I was stark raving bollocking mad when I also suggested running at 22psi with no intercooler and 95 octane fuel.

I have since sold the engine and gearbox to a user on here who intends to use it on trackdays, he did mention that he will be changing the head gasket for a metal version and changing the cam belt etc, it was sad to see one of the most reliable and hardy engines I have ever had being driven off but it least it is being put to good use! 8)

So anyway, yea, I'm done here, no more data is coming from this car.

Bankai.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

all the best Brian
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

Such a shame. Always enjoyed reading your updates.

Take care.
Phil
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

So what are your plans Brian? Another MR2 on the cards?
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Doubt it, been there and done that.

I bought the girlfriend a new shape Audi TT quattro and I will most likely buy a SL600/55 for my turbo fix.
craig

Post by craig »

Sad times! :(

Not many people can say they have an MR2 on its side in their garage though! Image
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Lol, yea, I dropped the engine onto the floor but couldn't get the car up high enough to drag the engine under and out past teh front of the car to the garage door so I asked three friends to come around and help flip it onto its side, makes removal of the tank/etc a hell of a lot easier too!

Ill put it into three or four pieces and pile it up at the side of the house for the scrapman to pick up, yea neighbors must think I'm a madman..
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

T.F.S. wrote:Ill put it into three or four pieces and pile it up at the side of the house for the scrapman to pick up, yea neighbors must think I'm a madman..

It should be gone then by 5am lol :lol:

Return to “Modifications”