To buy or not to buy?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tsia

Re: To buy or not to buy?

Post by Tsia »

Ridge Racer wrote:

Car looks like its had a respray. I'd check it out under the boot carpet and frunk under the spare wheel for crash damage, and also to see what colour it was originally. Also check v5 and do a hpi check

Hawk eye :clap: :lol: How could you tell that? It's defiantly had work done to the front wing because the paint work isn't as good there as the rest of the car. Do you see any signs of it being more than that?!.

Because it's red not pink ;)

Oh and Rev 1s just like to pirouette a little, don't they? I've never driven one so I couldn't say.
craig

Post by craig »

No real problem with the handling, just a bit more skittish than later revs etc.

Reason I thought its had a respray was due to the fact it's a 20+ year old car and the red paintwork looks redder than red. My rev3 I'm breaking is red and looks pink/white and that's a 93! :lol:
Ridge Racer

Post by Ridge Racer »

Because it's red not pink

I did notice the paint work seemed abit... tooooo good to be true? :lol:

Reason I thought its had a respray was due to the fact it's a 20+ year old car and the red paintwork looks redder than red. My rev3 I'm breaking is red and looks pink/white and that's a 93!

Very true! It might also explain why the back trim is coming away from the car in curtain places... hmmm... interesting... thanks for the heads up there!

Oh and Rev 1s just like to pirouette a little, don't they? I've never driven one so I couldn't say.

:lol: Oh dear...! Think it may be wise for me to get a rev 2+ then... I could always retro fit the parts but there are better examples out there for the same sort of money which are already rev 2+_ spec.

Decisions, decisions...
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

My missus had a rev1 in her 20's, it was her 2nd car after an insurance fiendly Fiesta for her first few years. It liked to swap ends in the wet but she was young. I found it ok whenever I drove it but it did lack power.

I would hold out for a better one myself, dont buy froma dealer and try to find a tin top.
Ridge Racer

Post by Ridge Racer »

I would hold out for a better one myself, dont buy froma dealer and try to find a tin top.

I think your right but its tempting me... Something about this car cries out to me n I'd love to put it back to a nice stock Mark 2...

Any idea what this is?

Looks bent?!

What parts do you need to change to sort out the handling on a Rev 1? Is it costly? Much involved?

dont buy froma dealer

Really? I thought buying from a dealer was a good thing (more come back etc..?)
timlowthian

Post by timlowthian »

Personally i think it looks like a good car for the money, a little bit of love and will be completely transformed.

In regards to the Rev 1 handling i would not let this put you off at all. I had a 1.2 Punto while saving for my first MR2 which is a Rev 1. I bought it as a 21st birthday present to myself and it was also my first rear wheel drive car. I never had any problems with the handling just drive it sensibly and carefully and they really are a fun car. I now have a Rev 3 N/A as well as the Rev 1 N/A as the rev 1 is getting a turbo engine and i still don't want to change the suspension setup. Don't get me wrong the Rev 3 defiantly feels more planted but i wouldn't make a point personally to get one with revised suspension.
Rev 1 NA to Turbo conversion!
MR2O12

Post by MR2O12 »

for new driver undeersteer is much more easy to deal with you just lift off the throttle. oversteer needs steering imput aswel

Id go for a rev3+ can get decent one for around the 800 pounds mark and then in the back of your head you know youve got most of the improvments toyota made
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

IMHO, anyone driving sensibly on the public roads will rarely, if ever, reach the limit where the Revision of suspension is going to determine the outcome of a sticky moment.

Looks a good car for the money.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:IMHO, anyone driving sensibly on the public roads will rarely, if ever, reach the limit where the Revision of suspension is going to determine the outcome of a sticky moment.

+1

I wanted to buy a rev1 due to it's handling - its more man and car than the later revisions (ie less mechanically aided) and relies on driver skill.

I do push my rev 1 and I've never had a problem with it. Mine sticks to the road brilliantly. I find it quite responsive and handles well. Its all about the driver rather than the car, if you don't have adequate training to drive a car at speed then you have problems with any car when it's pushed :thumleft:

You would have to be driving like an idiot and in the wet to find yourself in issues I think...

I also think its one of those things which has been exaggerated with time, so that people think their cars are rarer or better than other models.
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Ridge Racer

Post by Ridge Racer »

I do push my rev 1 and I've never had a problem with it. Mine sticks to the road brilliantly. I find it quite responsive and handles well. Its all about the driver rather than the car, if you don't have adequate training to drive a car at speed then you have problems with any car when it's pushed

I'm on motorbikes at the moment and to be honest... speed doesn't interest me at all I just love mid engined sports cars. I might be ok... I don't have a heavy foot at all...

I guess as long as you don't drive like a tit and buy fairly good tyres you wont really find yourself in any trouble?

Must be ok if you say so, I bet you've seen ALOT of 2's :mrgreen:
craig

Post by craig »

Yeah, sensible, normal driving won't make it do random 360 spins every 5 minutes :lol: :lol:
Ridge Racer

Post by Ridge Racer »

RedMR² wrote:Yeah, sensible, normal driving won't make it do random 360 spins every 5 minutes :lol: :lol:

And hard driving will :(
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Ridge Racer wrote:
RedMR² wrote:Yeah, sensible, normal driving won't make it do random 360 spins every 5 minutes :lol: :lol:

And hard driving will :(

If driving conditions are not taken into account, most probably, yes.

I'm amazed at home many accidents are "the car's fault", and never the driver... :roll:
Ridge Racer

Post by Ridge Racer »

If driving conditions are not taken into account, most probably, yes.

True, I have read many stories on here about people in the wet... :| #-o
Ridge Racer

Post by Ridge Racer »

Ok bit more info...

I can get it for £700

It has masses of receipts and service history
It has had a respray
HPI check is clear
12 month MOT / No TAX
It's done 200,000 KM (120,000? miles)

Sound like a good one?