Rust and The SW20

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mike

Rust and The SW20

Post by Mike »

The Rev2 yet again passed its MoT at the weekend, very pleased. However, the sills are getting pretty bad towards the rear now. They were highlighted as an advisory and the tester told me that they will almost certainly fail next year.

So, having heard snippets of rust horror stories over the years, what is the reality of rusty sills on the SW20?

Would welcome any sound words of advice and first hand experiences anyone would like to share.

Thanks
ryan

Re: Rust and The SW20

Post by ryan »

alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

i did my mates this year. They didnt look bad till i cut them off and then found all the inner strenghening needed doing as well.

3 days of welding and making up plates :(
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Pretty bad like all cars this age subjected to salted roads, this was a blister the size of a 20 pence about 3 months after it passed an MoT

All the inner panels at this point were rotten through so the blister on the outside was the last thing to rot but the least important.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

arghhhhhh that brings back memories, yours are almost as bad as my mates :lol:
ryan

Post by ryan »

I wonder if theres a pattern to this tin tops Tbar, drainage points, different sill structure perhaps with Tbar chassis strengthening?
One of my MR2s went like this and it was a Tbar. I find it hard to believe that the sponge sinking within the seatbelt panel could cause such extensive rust to the inner sill. How the hell can the sponge get that wet?
Mike

Post by Mike »

So what are we talking price wise, in a worst case type scenario?

Would hate to lose my car to rust, the rest of the bodywork is in great condition for a car of its age, and the engine is still strong despite having covered nearly 130k.

No idea what I would replace it with.
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Mine is a tin top. The sponge was soaking wet and the water comes in around the wheel arch on mine at least as the panels in that area are not sealed.
ryan

Post by ryan »

Super_red wrote:Mine is a tin top. The sponge was soaking wet and the water comes in around the wheel arch on mine at least as the panels in that area are not sealed.

Where in the wheel arch, can you take a photo, the flexi sealant stuff failed?
ryan

Post by ryan »

Mike wrote:So what are we talking price wise, in a worst case type scenario?

Would hate to lose my car to rust, the rest of the bodywork is in great condition for a car of its age, and the engine is still strong despite having covered nearly 130k.

im sure it cost Rob (see secondary link in the link I posted ; sends you to mr2oc) £800 and the company did a great job!
Mike

Post by Mike »

ryan wrote:
Mike wrote:So what are we talking price wise, in a worst case type scenario?

im sure it cost Rob (see secondary link in the link I posted ; sends you to mr2oc) £800 and the company did a great job!

Ouch, the ECU and mapping will have to wait then!
craig

Post by craig »

Had my trims off and had a look :shock:

Driver side:

Passenger side

:cry:

Sills are all good though, so will get that lot treated with POR :thumleft:

Doesn't look nice though [-(
Rob

Post by Rob »

Cost me £600, not £800 and yes they did an awesome job. Mine is a moonroof model, so it affects all types.
craig

Post by craig »

Rob wrote:Cost me £600, not £800 and yes they did an awesome job. Mine is a moonroof model, so it affects all types.

Yep, mine in the pics above is a tin top.
ryan

Post by ryan »

Rob wrote:Cost me £600, not £800 and yes they did an awesome job. Mine is a moonroof model, so it affects all types.

Thanks for your input Rob :thumleft:
Rob

Post by Rob »

No worries.

I think the problem is partly the foam, but mostly the wheel arch metal going a bit porous over the years. That is where mine first went through on the screwdriver test...
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

mine is a rev 5 moon roof and i had soaking wet sponges and a lot of rust had it cut out and plated resprayed stone chip coated then my skirts fitted all in cost £400 but the guy was a mate and it all started as a few little blisters :S
John145

Post by John145 »

The rear end of my 2 is fairly well rotten, doubt it'll be on the road by the next MOT :(
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

My rev2's pretty good in this aspect, but I'd like to keep it that way. I plan to keep it off the road in Winter for the reason Super_Red stated.

Is there any way of removing the foam to pre-empt?

Also, a side note, but If it's any consolation modern cars have the same problems - my 06 plate GTI had the common VAG fault of foam in the front arch trapping water and causing rust which lead to a warranty claim for a whole new wing (after a lot of arguing with VW UK who didn't want to honour their own warranties...). It was common across the range and I think they replaced the foam with sealant as a result - but only on 10 onward cars. :(
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)
Loque

Post by Loque »

Good God this is scary reading.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”