All over for G164 CKV... didn't make the moon after all.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Re: All over for G164 CKV... didn't make the moon after all.

Post by Tiamat »

I would also add, due to comments about traders and mods being too close to each other.

I have met Luke a few times, but have never had him work on my would not have him work on my car.

Nothing personal, he is just too far away to make it cost effective for me.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Tiamat wrote:
HighwayStar wrote:What I can say is that the engine Luke told me was dead is now running fine having been removed and worked on by another garage.

I have stayed out of this as it all got confusing and wanted to stay impartial. But....

They removed the engine, diagnosed the started motor and fitted a started motor and refitted it to the car in one hour?

You said you would pay them for one hours work, thats an awful lot to complete in one hour.

I believe Rob means removed the car from Lukes not removed the engine :)
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I've said it before and I'll say it again... if you're going to post stop making xxxx up.

Cvega666... yes the garage who fixed it told me what was wrong with it. It needed a new starter motor. That was it, that's all they did and I've made that perfectly clear several times. Do you not understand english?

Paul Woods... I don't think a starter motor had any bearing on anything.. other than to be eventually burnt out by another electrical issue and no the garage that fixed it didn't add any new earths themselves.
Luke added them (indeed he told me he had in the phonecall I received midway through this thread but as far as l can surmise this would be after the supposed engine seizure) and indeed since it appears this has cured the charging issue I think it rather proves there was an issue there. Since the charging issue started immediately after the fitting of a new alternator logic dictates this work triggered it... unless you have another theory you're so far keeping to yourself?

Tiamat.. I've no idea what you're talking about. They haven't removed the engine they have just replaced the starter... why would they remove the engine?

You see the issue don't you... nobody has any another explanation for why the batteries wouldn't hold charge after a new alternator has been fitted other than it being a wiring fault. If you do have another explanation please speak now. Then tell me why Luke the expert didn't consider it and why I ended up having to recover my car to another garage to get it easily fixed... instead of having to replace the complete engine as Luke would have had me do.
Last edited by HighwayStar on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

I dont think Luke killed your engine as youve stated, but as it was diagnosed as a seized engine/ being condemned to engine heaven and since then its only had a starter replacement, thats quite a wild misdiagnosis

but that much has gone on in this thread, no one will ever know.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Paul Woods... no this garage didn't add any new earths themselves which must mean that Luke did (and after the supposed engine seizure) and indeed since it appears this has cured the charging issue I think it rather proves there was an issue there. Since it started immediately after the fitting of a new alternator logic dictates this work triggered it... unless you have another theory you're so far keeping to yourself

Sorry that's nonsense mate, no amount of adding earths (regardless of who did it) is going to fix a charging issue, there would only be a charging issue if there was zero earth present between the engine and chassis at all, clearly that is not the case.

It would appear you are clutching at straws in a vain attempt to frame Luke for your troubles, but anyone with an ounce of mechanical knowledge can see you're wrong, what you are saying is mechanically/electrically impossible.

Sorry but as it stands, based on the mechanical evidence, Luke was never responsible for your problem, the garage fitted a starter motor, there is no link to the alternator at all.

I find it quite disturbing that you're continuing to try and blame him given that i'm telling you the two mechanical facts cannot be linked and i have no vested interest with Luke.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

the OP still surely not of been told the engine was seized if in fact it was just a starter.

this thread should most likely be locked though, nothing good is ever going to come of it, the OP isnt going to admit he shouldnt of blamed the trader, the trader will not be drawn back into it, and the OP has pretty much distanced himself from the forum with the exception of this bleeding thread
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

+1 on the above /\

I stand by the point that this thread should be locked, I can't see how any good can be gained from this thread staying open

What's happened has happened.
Keeping this thread open can only cause an atmosphere between certain users

Regardless of what has happened I am just pleased that another MR2 is still on the road :thumleft:

Best of luck to all involved :D
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

How do you know there wasn't zero earthing Paul?

Is a lack of earthing the same as a short?

Have you seen what new wiring has been added and where?

If there wasn't a problem with the wiring why have amendments been necessary at all?

Tell you what let's make it simpler.... just tell me how come the engine condemned as scrap by Luke is now running nicely again with just a new starter and some new wiring?

Finally what's your explanation for batteries not being charged after a new alternator was fitted? You keep saying there is no link between the alternator change and the starter motor so explain to me why after the alternator was changed the batteries didn't charge and the starter then burnt out? Saying there is no connection is just nonsense.

Keep on talking rubbish and I'll keep on asking for your logic behind it. In the meantime I'll keep on driving round in the car that Luke said wouldn't run again and laughing.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

not sure if im the only one that finds your last post a little bit on the agressive side towards paul woods, this remember is the same paul woods that offered to supply and fit an engine for you FOC, maybe you should think about that, i dont doubt you are miffed about your situation but maybe think before posting if at all
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

jasongtr wrote:not sure if im the only one that finds your last post a little bit on the agressive side towards paul woods, this remember is the same paul woods that offered to supply and fit an engine for you FOC, maybe you should think about that, i dont doubt you are miffed about your situation but maybe think before posting if at all

+1. :clap:

Paul and I discussed HS's problem at length seeing if there was any way we could help. Paul's motives are purely in pursuit of the answer - nothing else.

Furthermore, once again, we are without the whole truth. I find it difficult to believe 1) the engine was up and running within 1 hour and 2) that a local garage just happened to have a MR2 starter on the shelf. That was real lucky.

As siad before, too much info missing. Again. :roll:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

yes sorry Peter, should of said Paul and Peter
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

HighwayStar wrote:Tiamat.. I've no idea what you're talking about. They haven't removed the engine they have just replaced the starter... why would they remove the engine?

Reference to the post below, thats why I asked. Might have been a mistype, but had to ask the question.

HighwayStar wrote:What I can say is that the engine Luke told me was dead is now running fine having been removed and worked on by another garage.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

So does this mean that G164 CKV might make the moon after all?
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

The starter has a pretty big posative lead going to it that is permanent live. If this had been earthing slightly through the solednoid or casing then this could cause a permenent drain on the battery when the car was not running.

Whenever there is a charging fault the first thing to do is check the current being drawn from the battery with all things off, it should be under a tenth of an amp. This will let you know if there is any sort of chort usng up power which will drain the battery when the car is off and make it charge slower when the car is on.

I dont beleive the starter and the electrical fault cannot be related, of course they can. The mis diagnosis of the seized engine is pretty harrowing.
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

my step brothers avensis (3sfe engine aswell co-incidentley) done a similar thing a few years back. his battery was flat the morming after he had driven it home with no issue .i put another battery on and when connecting the battery leads to the battery there was a massive short circuit .his starter was siezed ,not siezing the engine but had a dead short. i put on my spare mr2 turbo starter at the time and all was good ,we put the original battery on aswell and it charged ok .

I see it as simple. The starter was goosed . page one gives the evidence

quote highway star
The last time it was tried it sounded like a stuck solenoid that kept on clicking 30 secs or so even after the keys were taken out the ignition till there was smoke from the engine bay ... looked like the starter motor burnt out?

the starter being held live whilst driving the car probably drained the battery. possibly burnt out an earth wire. i had the starter do the same on my rev1 turbo when i had failed to put one of the earths back on the engine .

i would guess the first time the starter jammed it overloaded the alternator,blew some diodes or something causing the original battery drain issues and the warning lights
Luke fixed these issues ,and the car was on its way ,but after sustained driving the battery drain overcame the output of the now repaired charging system and caused the flat battery again.

now it may be that when luke repaired the charging the intermittant starter fault was not occuring .

I have to say though im sure the engine was only siezed due to the starter ,and cannot see how no4 with fuel in overnight would seize the engine if the car was running when stopped . that bit sounds like codswallop [/i]

i see it that luke cannot be held responsible for the starter fault ,even though he had repaired the consequencial damage to the alternator ,but do think the diagnosis of the siezed engine was a bit lame .
ashley

Post by ashley »

Excellent post 3SGTE :thumleft:
cosmos

Starter

Post by cosmos »

Seized starter motor,what about a well used segmented armature...could some worn brush/brushes cause a dead short from brush housing?? sloppy shaft?? something bridged the armature segments am i barking up the wrong tree here.
30 odd years ago had a similar issue on a Lotus Elan + 2s the starter fell to bits put it down to excessive use. The car in question possibly the original starter on this high mileage vehicle.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Rob, 3sgtes reply is a possible credible answer to the questions you asked me, although nobody will ever know for sure that is just one possible reason that would explain what went wrong, but you're mssing the point....

It still wasn't Lukes fault your starter motor went t1ts up!

Did Luke misdiagnose a hard to turn engine? Yes i think it's fair to say that, but making him responsible for everything else is not.
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

yup, I think I have a clear picture now
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
oldskoolhrdcore

Post by oldskoolhrdcore »

HighwayStar wrote:Just popping back for a final update to this thread for those who are still interested and to correct those who cannot sort the facts from fiction or are just choosing to ignore the actual facts... Oldskoolhardcore and Marf this means you.
This did NOT start with Luke changing a starter motor. I don't mind an opinion but you are just posting inaccuracies rather than making any attempt at addressing the actual facts as I have had to. Again I have to point out that whilst you are keen to pour contempt on the conclusions I have reached you've put forward none of your own. You've furnished no explanation for the sequence of events as far as I can ascertain. Nor for Lukes silence on the matter to me who was his paying customer, indeed you praise his silence. I trust when it's your turn you will be just as temperate.

erm I never said it started with the starter motor, I said the first thing he did to try to resolve your issue was change it. my facts are straight.

Sorry for my language those who have complained they can't understand it... it's English and I've actually said and implied just want I intended to.

I have no trouble understanding the english language my friend, its just your use of 'english' is you trying to convince people you know what your on about with fanciful sentences and words, when infact when interpreted into how most of us ACTUALLY speak, you havent got a scooby doo why your car was F**ked

Car has now completed another 300 miles or so and gone through multiple daily start ups and is driving and charging just fine. Finally my thanks once again to Pan Autos for sorting everything for me.

R.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”