All over for G164 CKV... didn't make the moon after all.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HighwayStar

All over for G164 CKV... didn't make the moon after all.

Post by HighwayStar »

Just over 224,000 miles but that's it apparently. Perfect to dead and read the last rites in zero miles. Completely out of the blue. Quite a sad day for me.
Hope the rest of you guys and gals have even better luck and enjoy even longer and better motoring with your 2s than I have over the last 13 years with mine... funny 13 years and one day exactly now I think of it.
God speed one and all.

R.
StevieL

Re: All over for G164 CKV... didn't make the moon after all.

Post by StevieL »

Whats happened dude?
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Ah Rob I'm sorry to hear that, sounds terminal :(
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

She'll live on I'm sure. Just a heart transplant needed.

Nice turbo sat here :D
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Really sorry to hear that bud - certainly not what I expected to read!!

Drop a new lump in there :-k
We can't let another mr2 die!!
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

It won't be having any sort of transplant, it's over for me.
I'll start considering a different daily driver next week some time when I can stand to think about it but it won't be another 2.
I don't know what happened... went for a drive which was so good I posted about it, parked it up on the drive at the end of it and it hasn't started since. Since a new alternator 2/3 weeks ago it wouldn't hold charge even after a brand new battery at the start of it's last journey (though no dash warning lights)... thought it was a short somewhere draining the power. The last time it was tried it sounded like a stuck solenoid that kept on clicking 30 secs or so even after the keys were taken out the ignition till there was smoke from the engine bay ... looked like the starter motor burnt out?
However, I'm told the crank is now seized and that's that though how that's transpired I don't know. Perfection to death overnight.
I've had enough.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Forgive me, but none of those symptoms make any sense, it's impossible for a crank to just seize on your driveway, i bet it's something simple.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Failure to hold charge, battery discharging quickly and clicking when you turn the key .... :-k

Id be thinking poor earthing personally, although it would definately be worth investigating :D

Anyways ... if your looking to hang up your keys I guess now is as good a time as any :thumleft:

All the best in your hunt for a new car and keep us updated with what you buy :D

KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

KarlBristol wrote:Failure to hold charge, battery discharging quickly and clicking when you turn the key .... :-k

Id be thinking poor earthing personally, maybe combined with a sticky solenoid, although it would definately be worth investigating as I doubt it would be expensive :D

Anyways ... if your looking to hang up your keys I guess now is as good a time as any :thumleft:

All the best in your hunt for a new car and keep us updated with what you buy :D

DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

The trouble is, you have one easy fix sorted, then another little thing happens.. Then your car wont start.. Then something else goes wrong.. It all builds up and you get to a point that you feel so disheartened and fed up with it.

Before this happened, was the car still feeling solid? Brakes good? Suspension and handling all still feeling tight?

If it did, and you still enjoyed driving it, why not go for dropping a new engine in? It is a tough decision and I guess you are to a point that you just want a reliable car that you know you can hop into and it wont let you down.

I have an annoying battery draining problem at the moment and I know exactly what is causing it (headunit), just have not had time to sort it so I have been having to disconnect the battery on a Sunday night every week as I work away and it would be flat on the Saturday when I come to drive it.

Little stuff like that becomes a total PITA. Even worse when you do not know exactly what the problem is and need work doing to investigate and fix, and cost builds up.

Depends how much you love it I suppose, whether you bring it back or let it go.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

lol, Gone out to mine this afternoon and it struggled to start (I believe a problem with the new aftermarket ECU as before this it cracked up perfectly everytime), has a water leak coming in through the passenger side rear qtr window, so I have a wet seatbelt, and to top that my front offside tyre looked a little flat.. Got the gauge on it and it had 9PSI. Fantastic, so now I`m just nail hunting for the culprit and see if it is repairable as the tread is still good.

Oh and yesterday I had to sort the engine lid release cable as that jammed and I couldnt click the lid shut.

Is there ever going to be a time that these cars are spot on again?? Keep thinking `once thats fixed it will be ok...`.... Then another niggle! I know a flat is just bad luck on any car but it`s everything else that happens along with it.

Personally I`m not ready to throw in the towel with my old rev1 (been close though many times), but I can understand if you decide it is time to knock the MR2`ing on the head.

But it would be cool if you got it going again....
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

If the car drove fine last time it was out, and has only developed a problem on the driveway, i find it impossible to believe that it isn't something very easy to sort.

Imagine this, someone who knows Mr2s very well like myself, buys it for peanuts and spends 15 minutes fixing it, how would you feel then? That is the bigger question you need to ask yourself. We all get browned off with car issues from time to time, but i wouldn't let something like this put you off your pride and joy for life.

PS. if it is for sale i'm interested :D , on the flip side if you were near me i'd also look at it and possibly fix it for free too.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I'm with you Paul in that I find it very hard to match symptoms with the end result. Before turning off the ignition for the last time it behaved and sounded immaculately. I've not had it explained to me yet nor seen the car.... Only came back from a weeks hols on Thursday. I was expecting a new starter motor and the finding of an electrical issue... poss a short from the new alternator or the like?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Where was the smoke coming from? Starter area or alternator? It's hard to diagnose via the internet but i'll give it a shot rather than you give up on the car, it really sounds too simple a fault, certainly not a seized engine that's just silly.

Did the garage condemn the engine as seized? What is the car doing now?
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Car is still there. Diagnosed as a seized crank. Hard to say re the smoke as I was in the car... alternator poss. Only previous symptom was seeming inability to maintain a charge in any battery so it ran fine but then wouldn't start by the following day. All started with battery and brake warning lights on dash followed by a new alternator about 3 weeks ago. Never kept charge after that.
ashley

Post by ashley »

It's worth checking the integrity of the main charging cable to the altenator, I had this happen on my NA a while back- with smoke from it arcing. It could be that it was finally broken when the altenator was changed :-k

PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

HighwayStar wrote:Car is still there. Diagnosed as a seized crank. Hard to say re the smoke as I was in the car... alternator poss. Only previous symptom was seeming inability to maintain a charge in any battery so it ran fine but then wouldn't start by the following day. All started with battery and brake warning lights on dash followed by a new alternator about 3 weeks ago. Never kept charge after that.

I'd ask them to remove the starter motor and take the alternator belt off and see if the crank is still seized, i think that's bullsh1t mate.
Herts66

Post by Herts66 »

Maybe also try rocking the car in gear - if it moves the engine isnt seized and is turning over - if it moves OK then maybe try a bump start.

Do any of the dash lights etc come on when you put the key in?
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Steady on Paul it's me who's got it! :lol:

When I recieved it, the engine was locked because no.4 was full of fuel.

On removing the belt, and turning the crank, it's not good. Very stiff and awful noises.

We haven't got our heads together yet to decide whether to spend more money diagnosing.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

It was delivered to the garage by AA flatbed since it was on the drive when it last couldn't be started. We rolled it round by hand then it was winched on but nothing in gear of course. No lights at all on the dash... but no warning lights on prior to stopping the engine after the previous run.
After the original battery wouldn't keep charged after the alternator switch I was advised the failing alternator drain had killed it hence getting a replacement. The garage I got it from reported back though that there was no problem with it after they checked it (I was asking for the replacement under guarantee). The new battery wouldn't start it when I went to pick it up (investigating a t-bar leak at the same time) even though I was told it had been disconnected and it had to be started by a starter pack.
The new battery only managed to start it the once, for one run. Next day nothing..... well there may have been faint dash lights for a second, maybe.
Ideas welcomed....
Last edited by HighwayStar on Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”