The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

scotty1982

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by scotty1982 »

I think anyone who's will recognise the aptitude. Especially as you spend half your time polishing the car and the other half thinking about it :wink:

Haha that is soo true!
Nails

Post by Nails »

love this car, and defo love the aero cover on it, how do they fit? cant seem to see any hinges, can you just pop the lid from inside the car and lift it up like the original lid?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Nails wrote:love this car, and defo love the aero cover on it, how do they fit? cant seem to see any hinges, can you just pop the lid from inside the car and lift it up like the original lid?

There's no hinges, there's a lip around the top which slots in first, allowing the base to sit above the standard lid release. Once in place it just needs pushing into the lock, like closing the standard lid if you don't just drop it from a height (like most people do :lol: ) The release to open it works in exactly the same way as a standard lid, pretty much. :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Took the day off yesterday to do a few bits in general. Peter was also kind enough to allow me to use has yard and tools to start on the braked, thanks Peter :thumleft:

Everything packed up in the car and off I went. I thought a movie film might be good on the way up, although generally I don't use the ICE in cars. This seemed appropriate :lol:

Up with the bum end, ready for the Carbotechs and hoses. Unfortunately I've not got the EBC drilled and grooved discs for the back yet, so I'll have to fit them another day

That's a big old wheel!

As soon as the wheel was off it became apparent that something was amiss, as the wheel wouldn't turn at all! Upon inspection it was identified that the caliper was complete seized #-o

Luckily I knew where there was a spare. Hello old friend :(

Off with the seized one

On with the new one. It'll need painting red, to match the other now.

Carbotechs and Goodridge hoses fitted

On to the other side and guess what... also seized solid. In fact the rubber was destroyed! Well, I know the drill by now. So out with the bad in with the good. Done!

Job done and back on the ground. Ran out of time, so the fronts will have to wait.

I left Peter to carry on grafting and headed home. Unfortunately a random stone impact, which initially just sounded like a chip, turned into this :(

Another job for the list then. #-o

Big thanks to Peter for his time and resources. The brakes are massively improved and the fronts haven't been touched yet! :thumleft:
scotty1982

Post by scotty1982 »

Repost with out me doing anything!

Shame about the crack in the window. U just don't need it.
Last edited by scotty1982 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
riot68

Post by riot68 »

you got a plan for the wheel nut issue then? all looking very smart...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

riot68 wrote:you got a plan for the wheel nut issue then? all looking very smart...

Going to drill the stud out. Well, I'll going to take off around 10mm first, to see if the extra purchase of the nut helps. If not the whole thing's being drilled out.

It's a pain regarding the glass, however it's better that than the paint :pale:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Now a lot of the little jobs are done and with the transplant date getting early closer, it's time to set about converting this pretty lady into something more feral :twisted:

First up, I took delivery of a bunch of bits from what's left of Rob B's former beast. We've got poly bushed engine mounts, Mallory fuel pressure regulator and braided lines, Toms under body brace and a pair of Cusco pillow balls. All in an effort to make this car fully sorted, both in terms of the engine and the chassis

The Toms brace was a little tatty so it had a sand down ready for paint

Off to the "Paint booth" :lol:

I toyed with the idea of doing some of the chassis bits in blue, to match the engine. However it seemed a bit OTT so opted for good old black Hammerite, for a tougher finish.

Same for the Cuscos

Those bits done it's time to fit the chargecooler rad

Lights removed, which massively helps things

The arches had to come off

Dirt! :shock: One for you Martin, as it shows the arches have been cut to allow the larger wheels in :thumleft:

Bumper off. The fact these bolts haven't been in place for 18 years made the job sooo much easier :thumleft:

Dried and ready for installation

Well, it's a good jobs this was always destined for the bin anyway. Luckily the main radiator is in really good shape

Time for a wash

CC rad ready to go in. With a touch of enamel paint on the frame, to keep things clean, tidy and protected

Mounted

Mule parts go on, rain comes down :-k

Time to try out the ramps I was gifted by the father in law. They've spent a fair amount of time at their farm, sitting out in the rain. Will they hold up :-k

Apparently they will :thumleft: Time to take my brave pills and head off underneath then :? Off with the ramps and out with the jack, as the brace was first up

It took a fair amount of effort to get this bloody bolt out!

One side in it raised the question of how the hell am I going to get the arm back in place?! The jack was being used, so time to improvise. Luckily I have a nice supply of spare timber from "Project Decking"

Sawn to the right angle it was used in conjunction with a few blocks, as a crude means of levering it up.

Done :thumleft: Would I recommend this as a job to do yourself: No, never [-X :wink:

Another lovely job done, running the water hoses for the CC rad. I'll spare you the horror photos of what's it's like to be squeezed under the car :shock: The amount of times I had to shuffle from the front to the back of the underside of the car. My back's cut to ribbons and a little sore :eye:

Shortly after I broke the bulb in the work light, which I took as a sign to eat, sit, relax, then upload photos :lol:
Last edited by Magic Beans on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
craig

Post by craig »

Nice work mate! :clap: :thumleft:
stephano

Post by stephano »

good stuff! :mrgreen:
riot68

Post by riot68 »

spot on chap, wish my sub install had gone so well...

riot68.com
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

riot68 wrote:spot on chap, wish my sub install had gone so well...

Sounds ominous. What happened?
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Magic Beans wrote:
riot68 wrote:spot on chap, wish my sub install had gone so well...

Sounds ominous. What happened?

Install went well, just sounds poo...

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=163948

riot68.com
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Sounds like the pre outs are pretty low. So the volume level has to be so high it causes distortion, little like if you have two devices connected together which both have volume controls and the source is turned up to the max.

I've got that Alpine head unit I mentioned in the past. You're more than welcome to have that buddy :thumleft:
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Good work Phil, and thanks for the arch piccy. Very useful - now if only I could get my car to run properly I might be tempted to start on the body work again. :-k
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

slipping clutch wrote:Good work Phil, and thanks for the arch piccy. Very useful - now if only I could get my car to run properly I might be tempted to start on the body work again. :-k

Uh oh. Share? :pale:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Looking sweet Phil- excellent progress being made :thumleft:

How heavy is that under body brace? Is it stainless or ali?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

ashman wrote:Looking sweet Phil- excellent progress being made :thumleft:

How heavy is that under body brace? Is it stainless or ali?

Thanks Ashley :thumleft:

It probably weighs around 2kg. Not sure if it's steel or not though. I'll pop out with a magnet tomorrow, after a damn good sleep

I'm pleased to report that after a long but productive night it's finished and back together :D Having newer bolts etc makes it all so much easier. Plus the fact I've done it all a few times recently too :lol:

Photos (as you'd expect by now) tomorrow

Night all.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Right then, as promised here's a few photos :mrgreen:

The first job was to finish pulling in the water hoses

The hose for the core clipped in, ready to be connected when the engine's swapped.

Taped up to prevent dirt etc getting in. I've done this with all the ends, just in case

Panels going back in place

Done! I really won't miss sliding from one end of the car over and over again :neutral:

Out she goes so the garage can have a good sweep out

Bumper and arches back on

A nice photo of the rear end light mods :D

Front lights and sidelights back on

Slam panel on. Along with those annoying expanding screw clips, which are a pain to get out #-o

Done

There she is, tucked out ready for action I hope the hose don't leak this time :pray: Although I put a dab of sealant on the connections when they went on.

What to do with that license plate now :-k

Swirl pot and engine mount prepping next :eye:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

A few more jobs ticked off the list, two of which are cleaning and painting the engine mounts, the other was mounting the swirl pot.

Poly engine mounts as they were

Now. Cleaned and protected

Swirl pot time. This time it's not rushed and done at a time when my brain's glycogen was all gone :lol: Carpet out, holes in

Matching holes in the carpet

Bracket in

Done

Another little side project I'm working on. But what could it be... :whistle:

Return to “Member Profiles”