hi all, very new to all this and my first post! need a little help!?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

hjs

hi all, very new to all this and my first post! need a little help!?

Post by hjs »

ok its a sunday, and iv just bought a nice mr2 mk2. one of the headlights has been smashed and the bulb seems to be in tact, just not working. i dont have a clue about car maintenance, especially on these. has anyone ever changed one of these themselves and was it a big job to replace the glass? expensive? if anyone could shed a little light on this for me it would be great!

mattgt

Re: hi all, very new to all this and my first post! need a little help!?

Post by mattgt »

Welcome!

Just buy a replacement headlight they are cheap enough -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-CO ... 27bdf0ddad

Four screws to get the black cowling off and then your at the light.
1994 Astral Black Rev3 Turbo

HKS Induction > HKS SSQV > Greddy intercooler > Berk Downpipe > Blitz Nur-Spec> 2x Magic tree
hjs

Post by hjs »

ahh thanks, as easy as that. can i still get these sort of headlights through garages? as i dont have an ebay account. as these are old cars i would have thought it would cost a lot to order in as it wouldnt be something a garage would stock? :S
mattgt

Post by mattgt »

You would pay more at a garage, head over to the "Wanted" section on here and put in a post for some headlights, OR have a look in the "MR2's being broken" section ( in the for sale section)
1994 Astral Black Rev3 Turbo

HKS Induction > HKS SSQV > Greddy intercooler > Berk Downpipe > Blitz Nur-Spec> 2x Magic tree
hjs

Post by hjs »

I live near leeds. Iv just found a video on how to change the bulb on youtube and looks easy, but is it just as simple as swapping the glass at the same time? Can't really tell on the video :(
Dan23

Post by Dan23 »

make a eBay account then, not hard. all you need a email address, pretty simple. you'll also need to make a paypal account for sending money via eBay or even on most forum sites like this one) for bits unless you are local.

going to a garage to order the glass will probably cost as much as you paid for the car itself lol
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

Hi hjs

Welcome to IMOC, yes easy peasy changing the bulb and the glass (even I can do it and I hate anything like that).

Put headlights in up / off position (remove fuse if you are worried)

Unscrew 4 philips screws 2 top and 2 bottom
Remove chrome surround
Unscrew 3 screws on each side of the light (black casing) these if your lucky will be held in the right place by a small black rubber band
The casing (black) can then be jiggled off, will get the hang of it after the first one.
Headlight can then be removed and the bulb replaced but removing the rubber gromit (make sure you put the gromit and new bulb back on the right way)
If you are replacing the headlight as far as I know it’s the whole unit, just replace old for new and re fix (I would say less than 10mins each side easy)

My tip while you are there with the lights out it is also easy-ish to get to the sidelight bulbs, you need small hands but with the headlight out put your hand down the front of the now empty headlight and you can change the sidelights. Thin plastic gloves help. The manual says remove the sidelights from the outside with a flat headed screwdriver to change the bulbs, but this very often results in cracked sidelights.

Good luck with it

Rob
hjs

Post by hjs »

not posted in AGES, just thought id get back to you all after my head light fiasco! anyway thats done and dusted. managed to get one free from a rep on the mr2oc site who happened to live very close by! anyway. as i said im from a little place called boroughbridge not far from leeds and york. this is my 2!

that last one is what she used to look like when she was in mr2only mag, but unfortunately the private plate, and wheels were not sold on =[ and the nice greddy splitter snapped when it had a fight with a rabbit one day lol
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Stock wheels look good with the red lip, glad you got it all sorted...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
hjs

Post by hjs »

cheers bud. got a few other little touches of red i have been thinking about. not 100% just yet. will have to see!
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Never stops the tinkering does it? haha, I changed all my internal lights to red LED's instead of the 22 year old faded green...

riot68.com
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Come over to me and i'll give you a headlight for nowt.
hjs

Post by hjs »

cheers for the offer peter but iv sorted the head light now.

riot, those red dials look great! iv not taken off the center heating controls before. what sort of bulbs do i need to change the colour of my dials and the heating controls?
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Dash clocks are easy to do, just get some decent replacement LED bulbs in whatever colour you want, few screws and swap them over.

Heater is a different story, requires taking apart and the old LED's de-soldering and removing and new LED's soldering back in, if you're ok with soldering and can handle fiddly stuff it's just taking your time. Let me know if you need any help if you decide to go with it...

riot68.com
hjs

Post by hjs »

arent the led bulbs all different codes though? i was in halfords just now looking at them actually. loads of different shapes and sizes! :S
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Yeah, best bet is eBay, can't remember what size they are for the dash, quick search will tell you, just need 4 of them and then get the highest number of SMD bulbs on each one and it'll look great...

riot68.com

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”