Cracked gearbox?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

laam999

Cracked gearbox?

Post by laam999 »

Hi guys I have been chaining my clutch the last few days, and today when I have been cleaning my gearbox before I put it back on I noticed what looked like a "chip" or "crack" in the base of the gearbox. I think this isn't supposed to be there and I'm going to be gutted if this means I need to buy a new gear box, here are two photos of what I mean and where it is. Please let me know if this is supposed to be there and if not if I'm going to have to but a new gearbox.

Liam

Fourveesix

Re: Cracked gearbox?

Post by Fourveesix »

Hard to say as those pics arent too clear but it looks like water drain to me perhaps?
MartG

Post by MartG »

just had a look at my spare 'box, and it has the same feature
ufer

Rust in the gearbox

Post by ufer »

I see three possibilities:
1. The gasket between the motor and the gearbox was not good enough (if generally exists such gasket - for example by Ford that is a metal gasket against dust and some drops of water make no problems at all) and in the same time there was a leakage on top of the gearbox from the cooling system. And it has dropped very, very long time...
2. We don't have to forget that the condensation also exists and specially in the winter, before the gearbox became worm, the drops are going down, isn't it?
3. There is also a hole maybe without gasket. I don't think that you have a problem! For me it's almost normal! It will be worse if the cluch is wet!
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

without wanting to be over technical here its a drain hole :whistle:
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Yes that is an oil drain. It's purpose is to avoid any leakage from the front of the gearbox or back of the engine from being spun onto the clutch

Something that exists on almost all bell housings, any make & model

Peter

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”