[Mk2] [Generic] Strange suspension noise

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Phill P

[Mk2] [Generic] Strange suspension noise

Post by Phill P »

Got another suspension noise (other could be upper steering shaft)

Anyways,I've got rebuildable struts with Apex -30mm springs,the other day went over a small crest in the road and then maybe a slight pot hiole and all of a sudden heard a loudish nsf suspension noise,on checking the car found that I had play in the topmount due to the nut not being tight enough,which was odd as it had been fine before the bump with no noise at all.
Tightend it up probably a couple of full turns and this did stop the noise,however I'm left with a different almost crunching noise over some bumps and dips, have checked bushes and all is good.

Topmounts are new as are ball joints and arb bushes and droplinks, my thoughts are two things, knackerd damper and thats why all of a sudden i'm able to tighten the topmount nut by a couple of turns,or I've broken spring although they only have about 800 miles on them and seem fine apart from the noise.

Any thoughts,never had a car that had such fussy suspension/steering.

cheeers Paul :thumleft:
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
djpkins

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Strange suspension noise

Post by djpkins »

Only way to check is to have it off mate...if the spring is snapped, it will be obvious...also if the damper has blown, you will see oil or at least a greasy shaft. Whilst it's in the air look at all the bars/joints that relate to the hub....if the strut was loose, you may just have picked up some road debris and it's under the spring/seat....read Toxo's thread on here.
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Sounds like the top cup wasnt seated properly and has shifted when you hit the bump.

Part no. 48044 in the picture below, they have a hole in them with flats on either side if they are not seated properly when the top nut is tightened rotate and they make lots of different wierd noises.

http://www.ayrpark.plus.com/epc1/toyota ... _1993.html

Either way it would require stripping to check.

Lewis.
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

I asked lewis about this noise on my car.

It turned out it was the damper rod end not seating in the top cup properly.

Once you've stripped it off and removed the spring it will be obvious as to whats causing the noise.

I bought a new 48044 form Toyota and good as new.

Return to “Mechanical”