mounting gauges in the centre console

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Moo

Re: mounting gauges in the centre console

Post by Moo »

Shmed or gtech, where did you get the metal sensors from?
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

All the 'PC' bits are from WaterCooling UK - here's a link to the sensor.

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/14Inc ... e_295.html

I'm hoping I can just chop the sensor off the temp gauge and use the metal one instead.

Getting the right hose bits was a bit harder, but easy once I found MegaFlex. I've not got the sensors yet, so can't guarantee that the sensors will screw in properly, but I'm fairly sure 1/4" is fairly standard :D
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I'm planning to tap into the chargecooler coolant pipes underneath the handbrake and just run the wires through the bottom (I think I read the sensor needs to be within 50cm of the gauge, but that could just be a limitation of the included sensor cable).
January 2014

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

it's in reverse ...silly :lol:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

:? :-s
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
Gayle

Post by Gayle »

No the gear knob wasnt on the right way round at the time :roll: I had just put it on and had a blonde moment.
The 2 switches are for the heated seats.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Still looks nice though. I like the leather & red stitching.
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
gtech

Post by gtech »

Shmed wrote:I'm planning to tap into the chargecooler coolant pipes underneath the handbrake and just run the wires through the bottom (I think I read the sensor needs to be within 50cm of the gauge, but that could just be a limitation of the included sensor cable).

If you cut the little sensor off the existing cable, then extend, solder and heat shrink the joint, you wont get any issues then. I used some special wire we have at work which is for heat sensors, to extend into the engine bay, but others have used speaker cable with no problems at all. The gauge updates so quickly that the added distance make no odds.

When I am measuring the temps, the pre IC temp is always within .5 of what the PowerFC is reading.

Maybe I will put these kits together and sell them off, think I have 6 or 7 kits left.
Berk Tech IC, Berk Tech Downpipe, Berk Tech Exhaust, ARC Induction System, DevilsOwn Water/Meth Injection (Pre & Post turbo). TRD Cold Pipe, EMS Powered Digital Boost Gauge, TRD Strut Braces, Innovate O2, Blitz SBC i-color EBC - "ARCH ROLLER FOR HIRE"
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I didn't even consider using these to monitor actual charge temp #-o Looks like I might be rethinking the plan, or just buying more.....
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

gtech wrote:
When I am measuring the temps, the pre IC temp is always within .5 of what the PowerFC is reading.

Is that normal? Doesn't the PFC take it's reading from the IAT sensor in the inlet manifold?

That suggests your IC isn't doing much.....
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
gtech

Post by gtech »

Shmed wrote:
gtech wrote:

Is that normal? Doesn't the PFC take it's reading from the IAT sensor in the inlet manifold?

That suggests your IC isn't doing much.....

My fault for misleading you :-) I pickup one of the sensors in the same area as AIT sensor :-)
Berk Tech IC, Berk Tech Downpipe, Berk Tech Exhaust, ARC Induction System, DevilsOwn Water/Meth Injection (Pre & Post turbo). TRD Cold Pipe, EMS Powered Digital Boost Gauge, TRD Strut Braces, Innovate O2, Blitz SBC i-color EBC - "ARCH ROLLER FOR HIRE"
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Ok, I think I'm confusing my terminology, when I said IAT I meant the MAT sensor, IAT/AIT is the one in the air filter area right?

So does the PFC take it's temp reading from the AIT/IAT or the MAT sensor?
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
ForMySin

Post by ForMySin »

gtech wrote:

Maybe I will put these kits together and sell them off, think I have 6 or 7 kits left.

how much? ;)
If you are in full control you aren't driving fast enough- Stirling Moss
gtech

Post by gtech »

Shmed wrote:Ok, I think I'm confusing my terminology, when I said IAT I meant the MAT sensor, IAT/AIT is the one in the air filter area right?

So does the PFC take it's temp reading from the AIT/IAT or the MAT sensor?

I dont really know where it takes it from, can only assume its the AIT, always very near the readout on my home built gauges.

The other one is just before my injector for the meth, and its surprising the temp it knocks it down to when it kick in......Just love the early morning feeling, even after a 2hr drive on a hot summer day.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

a little update on the custom centre console

all filled (may need some slight rework) but this is it so far, the current colour is filler primer so fear not its not staying like that, i was thinking of painting it gloss black.

ImageImage

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”