Ferrari replicas? WHY?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

uglee

Re: Ferrari replicas? WHY?

Post by uglee »

Maybe you can apply the same train of thought to replica bodyparts for MR2s?
No-one seems to mind people creating a Border Racing, Toms, or TRD widebody MR2. Yet these people are copying something they can either not afford/get hold of. Are these people just as daft as the Ferrari replica owners?

It's a free and interesting world and MR2 ferrari replicas are just the tip of a huge replica industry that has been going on for years. The owners know the cars are fake but love the look and image and want to have something that is more affordable/reliable. It's totally their choice.
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Post by Bobby (aka Shaggar) »

Uglee, you make a very good pojnt. There are indeed a lot of shades of grey between the black and the white of this topic. There are some cars which dont exist anymore and some might argue that its a homage to build a toal replica of a Toms 020, or some might say that the 35 examples of the genuine TRD 2000GT are so rare that again, it a homage to build a replica. You might also consider that to build a car from many mixed of parts is not ripping off the Border Racing car or Phoenix Power Aero Package or the Kei Office package etc etc. I can see some healthy debate in amongst all of that.

One thing that is certainly balck and white though is building a replica of a car which is common enough, readily available adn for which there is no reason to copy it other than a lack of funds for the genuine article. If TRDs were common and cost 30k up right now and people were copying them, trust me, I'd be saying the same to them. Were talking about people who will happliy badge the cars up, copy the interior (as much as they can) and even as weve seen badge engines and even cover the actual engine with a plastic imitation engine!!!!!

:shock:

They are not paying homage nor building them for people to savour the memory of a classic at a show. They simply cannot afford something they like the look of so rip it off. When you buy a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston MArtin etc, you are not simply paying for a collection of high performance parts. You are paying for the styling, the image, the brand, the heritage, the brand association with past and present sport. The companies have earned the rigth to charge that much for a car over the long period of time. They build their brands up to the point they can open shops purely selling merchandise based on their brands.

We haev no right to blatantly bite a chunk out of all that whatsoever.

Amen
lemonyfresh

Post by lemonyfresh »

wow a lot of replies! :shock:

yeah, i think that one might have been a 406 - i also saw a white MR2/ferrari rip off on autotrader not long ago for upwards of 10k!
IMO each to their own, but this is taking that a bit too far :-s
imagine what would happen at the lights if a real 355 pulled up next to you in one :pale:
methinks there might be some shrivelling of a certain body part.
blacker than the blackest black, TIMES INFINITY!
Hunders

Post by Hunders »

gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

^^^ It does sound good though, apart from the rattling fake engine cover :clap:
JimmyTheKosh

Post by JimmyTheKosh »

Oh boo hoo, i dont like replicas so im just gonna moan and whine about them [-X

Im not defending anybody who owns one of these cars, even though i do own one myself. And im definately not getting into any debate either, ive got better things to do.
I cant believe how hypocritical some people are, how many of you "haters" have genuine border bumpers, or genuine bomex skirts etc, i know some of you do but theres a lot that are replicas, so whats the difference?
I personaly dont consider my car to be a "Ferrari replica" as its a very long way away from the real thing, but i like it

Anyway heres a reminder of mine just to wind up the "haters" a little bit more :clap:

Bobby (aka Shaggar)

JimmyTheKosh wrote:Oh boo hoo, i dont like replicas so im just gonna moan and whine about them [-X

Im not defending anybody who owns one of these cars, even though i do own one myself. And im definately not getting into any debate either, ive got better things to do.
I cant believe how hypocritical some people are, how many of you "haters" have genuine border bumpers, or genuine bomex skirts etc, i know some of you do but theres a lot that are replicas, so whats the difference?
I personaly dont consider my car to be a "Ferrari replica" as its a very long way away from the real thing, but i like it

Anyway heres a reminder of mine just to wind up the "haters" a little bit more :clap:

That picture didnt wind me up mate, it made me fall off my chair laughing!!!! Droop snoop Ferrari!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for the youtube clip? I fell off it again when I heard the errrr, 'tailored' sound effects on revving up. Hysterical! Absolute comedy gold!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ahhhh man, I gotta stop laughing so hard, think I'm gonna mess myself!!!!!! Wahhhhhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Bobby (aka Shaggar) on Tue May 18, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

ps. not being hypocritical either, I have NOTHING replica or copy on my car.

x
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Oh bu88er, just look ed at that pic again, there go the pants!!!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

WWWWWAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAH!
VGB

Post by VGB »

)immy, just so you know, we're not all haters. I think your car looks good. I don't see what the big issue is. IF you like it and want to do it to your car why shouldn't you. There is an argument that as the MR2 was designed and created by Toyota that we shouldn't change any part on it unless it is by Toyota. They spent lots of time and money designing it so it should be as they made it and not moddified. Not my opinion but another line of thought!
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Theres a world of difference between using border bumpers etc and ferrari kits. Noone with any border/bomex/veilside kit slaps a ferrari badge on the mr2, it`s still an mr2 just an enhancement to the looks. A ferrari kit is simply trying to pose as something it isnt. It`s ricdiculous. If I did have a Ferrari kitted 2 I wouldnt put the badges on it.
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

Bobby (aka Shaggar) wrote:Oh bu88er, just look ed at that pic again, there go the pants!!!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

WWWWWAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAH!

bobby at first i thort you were going way over board with you multiple comments regarding this subject but your last comments had me and the misses in a pure fit of laughter, youv made my day :thumleft::lol:
stock isnt that soup or something.....?

tic tac 500bhp build thread
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 57#1182357
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

Bobby (aka Shaggar) wrote:Yeah, apologies, you must be right. I must be pathetic because I respect other people's material and interlectual property. I'm sure the design houses, watch makers, music companies, movie studios etc ect are all very taken aback by all the 'flattery' at the moment. You want to show flattery? BUY THE ITEMS THEY MAKE!

Its a joke.

The biggest joke is that you're getting all frothy-mouthed about this while, at the same time, most people acknowledge that the only reason the Mk2 MR2 looks the way it does is cos Toyota ripped-off a lot of the design of the Ferrari Dino 246.
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Si_Crewe wrote:
Bobby (aka Shaggar) wrote:Yeah, apologies, you must be right. I must be pathetic because I respect other people's material and interlectual property. I'm sure the design houses, watch makers, music companies, movie studios etc ect are all very taken aback by all the 'flattery' at the moment. You want to show flattery? BUY THE ITEMS THEY MAKE!

Its a joke.

The biggest joke is that you're getting all frothy-mouthed about this while, at the same time, most people acknowledge that the only reason the Mk2 MR2 looks the way it does is cos Toyota ripped-off a lot of the design of the Ferrari Dino 246.

Really? Thats what you call a joke? The biggest joke? Dont give up the day job matey! I've seen funnier one liners from a chinese cracker! That droopy nosed Ferrari wannabe above is way funnier!

MUST.........RE......SIST...............LOOKING..........A.....GAIN............. FRESH...........PANTS ON........ 8-[
ChrisT

Post by ChrisT »

I think it's putting the Ferarri badge on that gets to a lot of people. I mean if you want a bodykit that makes your car look more like a Ferarri then fair enough, but badging it up as something it isn't seems a bit silly.
Amelio

Post by Amelio »

:shock: :lol: Someone has really hit a nerve ey Bobby?

Why don't you just buy one and learn to love it...bit like a internet bride.

I actually quite like the style of Jimmy's car but agree with ChrisT when he says, "badging it up as something it isn't seems a bit silly."

I personally wouldn't pay to have mine look like it, but then again I wouldn't waste thousands on original Jap body parts either. Pointless when copies do the job just as well. :thumleft:

Bobby, admit it, secretly you're just green with envy... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Amelio wrote::shock: :lol: Someone has really hit a nerve ey Bobby?

Why don't you just buy one and learn to love it...bit like a internet bride.

I actually quite like the style of Jimmy's car but agree with ChrisT when he says, "badging it up as something it isn't seems a bit silly."

I personally wouldn't pay to have mine look like it, but then again I wouldn't waste thousands on original Jap body parts either. Pointless when copies do the job just as well. :thumleft:

Bobby, admit it, secretly you're just green with envy... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No matey, you misread. I'm green from lack of air what with laughing so hard at those who 'think' they have a Ferrari because of some plastic and badges. Fricken hysterical!!!!!! Waaaaaaaaahahahahhahaahahhaahah.

Only nerve thats hit is the one which prompts controllable laughter. Put it this way, ever seen those stainmakers who have gone round telling everyone they have a real Rolex then you get a little closer and its obvious its a cheap Thailand special? Know what a stain they appear to be from making out they have some expensive and exclusive when all they did was pay a tenner at a market stall? Thats the same kind of stain these guys are!!!!! Oh, man, everytime someone tries to justify them, the funnier it gets.

Honestly, At least the carpark chav who tries with bolt on crap, neon lights and stickers is TRYING to create something original. Its still a crap Corsa. But at least it not a crap Corsa now trying to look like a Ferrari.

WWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: #-o #-o #-o #-o :lol: :lol:
JimmyTheKosh

Post by JimmyTheKosh »

Oh you are soooooooooooo green with envy Bobby boy, why else would you spend so much time slating something that has no importance to you.

Heres a pic of my rear end for you mate, press your lips against the screen and give it a little kiss, go on, you know you want to.

DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

The Ferrari moonroof :lol: To be fair, that looks well put together and pretty smart! It`s just the badges that kill it for me.. I think if it was badgeless people would look and go `ooo whats that??`, as it is they go `ooo ferra... Ah no its an mr2 look at the back window`
C50

Post by C50 »

if it costs that much.. i'd rather spent it on a TRD or Abflug kit

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”