Ferrari replicas? WHY?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

lemonyfresh

Ferrari replicas? WHY?

Post by lemonyfresh »

hey people, this one might cause a bit of a storm? possibly? but im almost sick to death of seeing 355/430 replicas and the like up for sale on various websites :-s

Mabye its just me that thinks its a total waste of a good MR2 to chop them up and stick a load of ill-fitting body panels that make the car SORT OF look like a ferrari if you squint (and turn the other way), plus wouldnt you feel a bit stupid driving about in a lie? Thats after spending big money on the kit as well! Imagine where that ten grand could be spend on making a beast of a tubby :thumleft:

-takes a deep breath-

mmm convincing....
nice plastic engine in your 430 there...

Are they really worth the asking prices as well? 20,000 plus? really? REALLY????? ](*,)

ANYWAY - rant over, please feel free to shoot me down in flames on this subject as id love to understand the logic behind it! :-#
blacker than the blackest black, TIMES INFINITY!
Quigonjay

Re: Ferrari replicas? WHY?

Post by Quigonjay »

lemonyfresh wrote:Are they really worth the asking prices as well? 20,000 plus? really? REALLY????? ](*,)

to most sane people, no, to some body who is desperate for people to think they are driving a ferrari but cant afford a real one, yes
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

first thing every one said to me when i bought mine was dont you dare fit a ferrari kit to it.

i just dont understand it either
VGB

Post by VGB »

Ah but if we all liked the same thing wouldn't it be dull! And no i don't have a ferrari mr2 :D
Hunders

Post by Hunders »

I agree. It's a bit of a poncy thing to do tbh... I'd feel like a right ninny driving around in one.

I once heard someone who owned a 355 replica MR2 say that because the body is made of fibreglass it weighs a lot less so it really shifts... But it costs upwards of £15k to do, just imagine what can be done to the engine to make it as fast, if not faster?
John145

Post by John145 »

Atleast British crazy people who build 1 off copy cars do a better job than multimillion dollar chinese car manufacturers:
http://gemssty.com/2006/10/29/top-10-copycat-cars/
TubbyTwo

Post by TubbyTwo »

because some there are 3 groups of people.

Those that love MR2s

Those that think its the best car ever, better and quicker than everyone else

and those that like to think its a baby Ferrari and take it too far.... :lol:
2003 Leon Cupra R, stage 2 Jabbasport remap to 280bhp

MR2 now sold :(
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Post by Bobby (aka Shaggar) »

BECASUE THEY ARE SAD CHAVVY CHAV SCUM WHO LIKE FAKE GEAR AND DRIVE ALONG IN THEIR FAKE CAR WITH FAKE WATCHES ADN FAKE CLOTHES PROBABLY WITH A FAKE TAN. FAKE FAKE FAKE!!!!!

ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC!!!!!!!! THEY ARE AMONGST THE BIGGEST SADDOS IN THE WORLD. FULL STOP.
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

Big waste of time and money....

I would feel like a nob driving one..give me a 1.2 fiesta anyday
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

Bobby (aka Shaggar) wrote:BECASUE THEY ARE SAD CHAVVY CHAV SCUM WHO LIKE FAKE GEAR AND DRIVE ALONG IN THEIR FAKE CAR WITH FAKE WATCHES ADN FAKE CLOTHES PROBABLY WITH A FAKE TAN. FAKE FAKE FAKE!!!!!

ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC!!!!!!!! THEY ARE AMONGST THE BIGGEST SADDOS IN THE WORLD. FULL STOP.

Blimey! Calm down. =;

I can kinda see the point of it.

Some people like the look of a Ferrari or Lambo but lack the cash to buy and maintain one.
If it makes them happy then good luck to them IMO.

Even if they're not just a poseur who wants a 355 replica so they can impress the hot chicks in Aldi's car park it's easy to see why some people might like the idea of a Ferrari bodykit for their MR2 rather than some of the utterly hideous *coughveilsidecough* original designs available for the MR2.

As I always say when this subject comes up, personally I'd only ever consider fitting any bodykit to a car if it had some practical benefit and/or was lighter than the OEM part.

I like to think I'm secure enough not to need a car that sticks out like a sore thumb to prove I'm an individual.

I must say, though, I've been tempted to buy a kitcar of summat like an RS200 or Stratos.
It's not that I'd want to try and fool anybody with it. It's just that I think they were stunning cars and a replica would be a good way to get the fun of driving one.

I can't really see how the same would apply to a kitted MR2 though.
It might look like a Ferrari on the outside but it's still gonna feel like an MR2 to drive (except probably a little more wallowy due to the extra weight) and even if you tune the nuts off it there's always the thought that it'd be even better if you took all that fibreglass junk off it again.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Hunders wrote:I once heard someone who owned a 355 replica MR2 say that because the body is made of fibreglass it weighs a lot less so it really shifts...

lol, He does relise that the standrd MR2 body is actually still under all that fibre glass doesnt he???

Only things that come off is the front wings and the bonnet oh and the bumpers the rest is still mr2 underneith.
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD PEOPLE!

EVEN WORSE IS WHEN THEY STICK A FERRARI BADGE ON A 3SGTE ENGINE!!!! ARGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! IF THERE WAS EVER A REASON FOR THE RETURN OF CAPITAL PUNISHMENT!!!???.......................
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

We live in a democracy - people can do what they want really IMO. It's their money, their car, their choice.

It's not my cuppa tea, but each to their own :)
3.4ltr V6 Turbo. Built by Woodsport. Controlled by Syvecs, mapped by Ryan. 420bhp @ 0.7bar from 2400rpm
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

That's just it. Its NOT their own! They are ripping off someone elses creativity and imagination which is legally copyright and just because the law may not have kept up it doesn't make it any more ok. Why is it not ok to rip off other trades but ok to rip off a motor company.

At least others buy a combination of kit parts and create they're own look from independent tuning houses. Ferrari wannabes are just cheapskates who can't face the fact they can't owna supercar so they rip it off instead. Work harder, save harder and one day you might buy the real thing.

So so so sad.

Ps. Democracy yes, law and moral free no.
Andy_Foz

Post by Andy_Foz »

Going out on a limb here, but isnt the car at the top of this thread a Peugeot 406 and not a MR2? Look at the dash and the glass lines/shapes...

Again, they arent really for me, but I can appreciate a good replica when I see one (ive seen a few in the flesh and only seen ONE good one so far... it had a pretty much identical body, a lovely ride height and a huge brembo brake conversion that gave it a sense of performance in terms of looks, for sure!) and I can appreciate why someone would want one.

A F355 (still my dream car, even to this day) has massive servicing and running costs. A clutch and fitting would set you back thousands of pounds, along with all the other associated running costs of a true supercar compared to a jap sports car.

Some people have to use their cars daily... I know what car I would rather receive the servicing charges for! And I guess if its their dream car and they cant afford the running costs of a F355/whatever other supercar you want to make your £2k MR2 look like, then thats their choice. I do however cringe when I see a badly converted replica. They look truly awful, especially the fake brake disks and calipers sandwiched between the wheels and the hub. [-X

Andy
DTMr2

Post by DTMr2 »

I think you can buy a Ferrari for £20-30k #-o

When I first saw that ad on pistonheads,it did make me laugh.
The interior looks quite nice,though :thumleft:
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Andy_Foz wrote:Going out on a limb here, but isnt the car at the top of this thread a Peugeot 406 and not a MR2? Look at the dash and the glass lines/shapes...

Again, they arent really for me, but I can appreciate a good replica when I see one (ive seen a few in the flesh and only seen ONE good one so far... it had a pretty much identical body, a lovely ride height and a huge brembo brake conversion that gave it a sense of performance in terms of looks, for sure!) and I can appreciate why someone would want one.

A F355 (still my dream car, even to this day) has massive servicing and running costs. A clutch and fitting would set you back thousands of pounds, along with all the other associated running costs of a true supercar compared to a jap sports car.

Some people have to use their cars daily... I know what car I would rather receive the servicing charges for! And I guess if its their dream car and they cant afford the running costs of a F355/whatever other supercar you want to make your £2k MR2 look like, then thats their choice. I do however cringe when I see a badly converted replica. They look truly awful, especially the fake brake disks and calipers sandwiched between the wheels and the hub. [-X

Andy

That's the whole damn poimt! ITS A SUPERCAR!!! You're not supposed to be able to afford it if £3k services are beyond your budget. Your argument is pathetic. So you justify ripping anything off because you can't afford the original?

Shocking.
Andy_Foz

Post by Andy_Foz »

Whats the saying? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? Or something to that effect.

Dont get your knickers in a twist, bobby! lol! Its only someone else's car, mate! You need to chill out a bit i think. Maybe your snobbish views are "pathetic".

Andy
Worthers

Post by Worthers »

Saw a 355 Rep at Japfest, god it looked terrible & VERY VERY dated unlike the MK2 MR2 REV 3> that still looks fresh 15 years on with the correct 'subtle' mods.
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Andy_Foz wrote:Whats the saying? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? Or something to that effect.

Dont get your knickers in a twist, bobby! lol! Its only someone else's car, mate! You need to chill out a bit i think. Maybe your snobbish views are "pathetic".

Andy

Yeah, apologies, you must be right. I must be pathetic because I respect other people's material and interlectual property. I'm sure the design houses, watch makers, music companies, movie studios etc ect are all very taken aback by all the 'flattery' at the moment. You want to show flattery? BUY THE ITEMS THEY MAKE!

Its a joke.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”