Driving the mr2 with new fuel h/ware but on an old ECU map..need to get it to RR

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RyanRs

Driving the mr2 with new fuel h/ware but on an old ECU map..need to get it to RR

Post by RyanRs »

Ok, i have just upgraded my entire fuelling system. The EMS(linkplus G3) is currently set up for the old system upto 17psi (387bhp)

The old setup is a bone stock 540cc oem everything.
The new setup is :-

Bosch 044 external pump
AN-08 fines
Aeromotive FPR
ATS TFFR
and 1200cc injectors.

I have reduced the Master injector pulse width from 10ms down to 8ms and the fires up and runs fairly well. its a little bit sloppy on the idle but it works and revs fine. Any lower than 8ms and it idles like a complete pig and stalls.

What i need to do is drive the car to SRR, 85 miles away, for a re-map. I intend to disconnect a boost pipe so i can never go into boost and i'll granny along at 55 mph all the way there.

Can anybody see any problem with doing this? Could i do damage to the engine in any way? is there anything else i could adjust in the EMS to reduce the risk of damage?

Also, being as i do not have a wideband, i dont know my AFR's so as am trying to stay away from going lean, there is also the possibility of going Rich! Would it be a good idea to take some fresh oil and filter with me to SRR encase i end up with fuel contaminated oil??

Thanks for the help.
Darth

Re: Driving the mr2 with new fuel h/ware but on an old ECU map..need to get it to RR

Post by Darth »

Dont know but i wouldnt chance it if it was me. If it was me then i would drive a couple of miles from my house, call the AA to say it was running like a bag of spanners so i wanted to be towed to my final destination :^o
RobCrezz

Re: Driving the mr2 with new fuel h/ware but on an old ECU map..need to get it to RR

Post by RobCrezz »

Can you not put the 540s back in for the drive there and then change them once you are there?
Marf

Post by Marf »

RobCrezz wrote:Can you not put the 540s back in for the drive there and then change them once you are there?

That would be my choice. :thumleft:

Doesnt take too long to swap over some squirters, better than giving your cylinders a washing!
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Well i cannot do that really as all my lines are AN-08 / AN-06 and im running a TFFR.

All the stock lines are gone. to use the 540's and stock rail again i would have to solder the old injector clips back on and purchase an adapter to convert AN-08 female to rev3 rail fitting.

Is there anybody on here running similar , on a G3 ecu? i wonder if using a copy of someone's map just to get me there would be an idea?
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

What about getting Ryan to come to you? :oldtongue:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Or get it towed to SRR.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Well im trying to avoid both of them tbh, for a few reasons. 1. I want to save him the 230 mile round trip just for the sake of a tweek!! 2. I want a dyno printout as i am very interested in what power my current turbo can deliver -for self knowledge and as a selling point when i get my gt35r, so if ryan came to me i would have to pay for his diesel and then my petrol to get SRR for a printout and back -thats £100 alone!

Towing the car gives me 2 issues... Im an artic lorry driver, yet im to scared to tow my car on a trailer let alone someone else!! (look at what happened to nathans!) and secondly it costs a fortune to get it taken up.

Im on a bit of a budget as i only work 3 nights and college for 2 days so my pay is not all that great at mo.

Kind of a catch 22!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

this what commander for the power fc are useful for :eye: :eye:

seriously good luck dude..
dont think i can really suggest anything other than no boost, very little load on the car....
Marf

Post by Marf »

jimGTS wrote:this what commander for the power fc are useful for :eye: :eye:

Eh? He can hook up to the G3 ECU using his laptop and already has done :eye:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

my bad :eye:
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Lol cheers for the good luck jim!! driving at 55 mph in the mr2 is going to be so hard. I would throw it in the trailer of an artic if i could find a way to get it on and off the lorry! No! I am not using a forklift!! lol

But like marf said, the PFC commander may be cool but the Link has a 2.0 USB and full windows 32/64-bit programming/logging UI 8)
Jim Galbally

Post by Jim Galbally »

email the guy your fuel map plus the specs for the old and new injectors and they will be able to to at least email you back a map that should start and run for a motorway cruise
Chris

Post by Chris »

As above really, he should be able to tell you what ms setting would be best. In all fairness aslong as you run no boost you can't hurt it. I drove mine allover on a universal Dave Rowe map to run it it. Over 600 miles and it's still fine now.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”