PSN to start charging in 2010 ?

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

H3RB

Re: PSN to start charging in 2010 ?

Post by H3RB »

sony said they will be upgrading thier servers at the same time.
mr2daz

Post by mr2daz »

Simple answer for me is not to pay. The games are expensive enough, I'm not paying to play them as well and on top of my broadband and phone line. That is just utter madness IMO.
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

H3RB wrote:sony said they will be upgrading thier servers at the same time.

Yea you already said.

Not really a reason to start charging tho.
Rev 3 GTS
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

matt_mr2t wrote:Put it this way, people have figured out ways of making a 360 controller work on the PS3.
Has any one bothered to make a PS3 controller work on a 360?
No, because it would be a backwards step :thumleft:

No because if you plug (dated technology) a PS3 pad into a 360, The 360 could not cope and would simply melt into a puddle like the T-1000 in Terminator 2.

PS3 pads work on PC's but only via charge cable, Don't think anyones managed to get it working wireless 100% yet.
Engine rebuilt by: Steve Horrocks & Andy Jones
Engine mapped by: Ryan@2bartuning (330 bhp & 325 lbft @ 1.4 bar)
Current Status: F****D :(
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Things that are wrong with the PS3 pads:

The back "triggers" are not triggers at all so your fingers slip off constantly. Crap for brake & accelerate as well as aim and shoot scenarios.
The top shoulder buttons are too small and, if you dont have your fingers on them at all times can be fiddly to find.
The action buttons on the right are too squared off, after a long gaming session they leave your right thumb tip sore.
The directional buttons are not ideally placed and too light meaning you overshoot movements waaaay too much.
The "handles" are far too small and short meaning to hold them you wrap your little and next fingers round them too much. After a long session I feel like an onset of RSI is not far away.
There are too many square edges, too many angles, they're too small, the orignal ones didnt vibrate.

On a plus side - lithium batteries and bluetooth connection. Now that, right there is progress. Shame they didnt apply it full board and do the whole thing.

Michael, I love my PS3 media remote. As it's Bluetooth I can stick some music on, either stuff I've saved or via VidZone and change the tracks from anywhere in the house :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Andy Jones wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:Put it this way, people have figured out ways of making a 360 controller work on the PS3.

No because if you plug (dated technology) a PS3 pad into a 360, The 360 could not cope and would simply melt into a puddle like the T-1000 in Terminator 2.

PS3 pads work on PC's but only via charge cable, Don't think anyones managed to get it working wireless 100% yet.

They basically jus gutted a 360 controller of it's internals, replaced with the PS3 stuff, put it back together and hey presto, a controller that looks and feels like a 360 controller, but works with a PS3.
No reason why you couldnt do the same thing the other way around other than it would be a giant leap backwards I spose.
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Its safe to assume they always intended to charge, but in order to compete against the more established online gaming network of the Xbox and to try and differentiate their product against its direct competition they made the service free.

Good and bad move and bad move by Sony. Good as it was enough to swing people towards the PS3, bad as in those people will have got used to free online gaming and now object to having to pay.

I don’t know if the PSN has improved much since launch, would any PS3 users consider it worth around £35 a year as it’s going to come in at a similar cost to XBL? My understanding was that the service was pretty lame (for gaming at least?)

The intention to charge for the online service could also be a way for Sony to potentially claw back so lost revenue from initially poor product sales.

No 360 fan boy comments here, but MS are the only company who have actually managed to properly exploit their online service. Sky, Zune, LastFM, downloadable games, demo’s, extra content & online play to name a few on a service that does work well.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Funny thing to me is, I have both consoles and have barely ever played either online.

COD4 back "in the day" and a quick game of Fight Night 4 and thats it.
I've been paying for the 360 service and hardly ever used it.

I havent even played MW2 online yet. I will but I'm in the middle of another game at the moment.
fizz

Post by fizz »

Bender Unit wrote:
No 360 fan boy comments here, but MS are the only company who have actually managed to properly exploit their online service. Sky, Zune, LastFM, downloadable games, demo’s, extra content & online play to name a few on a service that does work well.

Well i tried to use my PS2 online and it was a pile o'shyte.

Then got a PS3 about a year ago and tried the online with a couple of games and it seemed alright to be honest. GRID worked a charm when connecting to others etc. COD 4 was good as well and now although there are still some glitches with COD 6 match making (as expected with bedding in period) it does just fine.

The other services are spot on as well, additional content, purchasing and downloading games (GT5 prologue) was also a breeze. Downloading demos is simple and quick as well.

If they do start to charge then yeah i will pay it obviously as i wont have any choice as i aint getting a Xbox thats for sure.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

fizz wrote:
Bender Unit wrote:

Well i tried to use my PS2 online and it was a pile o'shyte.

Then got a PS3 about a year ago and tried the online with a couple of games and it seemed alright to be honest. GRID worked a charm when connecting to others etc. COD 4 was good as well and now although there are still some glitches with COD 6 match making (as expected with bedding in period) it does just fine.

The other services are spot on as well, additional content, purchasing and downloading games (GT5 prologue) was also a breeze. Downloading demos is simple and quick as well.

If they do start to charge then yeah i will pay it obviously as i wont have any choice as i aint getting a Xbox thats for sure.

I'm not surprised, was there even internet in the year 0 when the PS2 came out :lol:
fizz

Post by fizz »

hahaha... :mrgreen:

From what i recall i was on a 512 cable line back in 2003 when i tried it. :whistle:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I dont think I really knew what internet was when I bought my PS2 :lol: :oops:
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Bender Unit wrote:Good and bad move and bad move by Sony. Good as it was enough to swing people towards the PS3, bad as in those people will have got used to free online gaming and now object to having to pay.

Bad move, I may be wrong but i'm sure all the advertising gubbins that surrounded the PS3 before launch strongly centred on "free online gaming" I don't remember seeing any small print stating "until futher notice" but i've always said it won't be free forever as MS are raking in millions per year through subscriptions and they've probably been wondering how to introduce something similar for a while now, We'll just have to wait and see if the gaming side of it does stay free.
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

Andy Jones wrote:
Bender Unit wrote:Good and bad move and bad move by Sony. Good as it was enough to swing people towards the PS3, bad as in those people will have got used to free online gaming and now object to having to pay.

Bad move, I may be wrong but i'm sure all the advertising gubbins that surrounded the PS3 before launch strongly centred on "free online gaming" I don't remember seeing any small print stating "until futher notice" but i've always said it won't be free forever as MS are raking in millions per year through subscriptions and they've probably been wondering how to introduce something similar for a while now, We'll just have to wait and see if the gaming side of it does stay free.

they have said they are going to start charging for the psn, they didnt say they are going to start charging to play online, they also said that paying customers will get exclusive access to special content etc for paying. so it may not even be that you have to play to game :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

MS might make millions on XBL subscriptions, but Sony will be making a lot of money on advertising?
Swings and round abouts really. Much like BBC Vs ITV and how their income is raised.
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

H3RB wrote:
Andy Jones wrote:

they have said they are going to start charging for the psn, they didnt say they are going to start charging to play online, they also said that paying customers will get exclusive access to special content etc for paying. so it may not even be that you have to play to game :thumleft:

then what else would they charge for? #-o

they already have premium content like the 360. The only other thing is gaming.
Rev 3 GTS
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

we dont know untill it happens...
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Stupid Avatars ... If you go to change it, There's a "premium" option that has nothing available yet.

Game Demo's ? ... I would hope not, A few demo's of stuff i've not heard of or uncertain about have let to a purchase.
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

But that would be premium content not a subscription based thing.

i think this

"Right now that's our model. In time anything can change but right now we're happy with it."

said by Eric Lempel, director of PlayStation Network operations

started the rumour so it could mean anything and i mite not mean anything for a while. Guess well have to see.
Rev 3 GTS
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

matt_mr2t wrote:
Andy Jones wrote:

They basically jus gutted a 360 controller of it's internals, replaced with the PS3 stuff, put it back together and hey presto, a controller that looks and feels like a 360 controller, but works with a PS3.
No reason why you couldnt do the same thing the other way around other than it would be a giant leap backwards I spose.

I gutted my ps3 controller and retro fitted it into the atari 5200 controller as the atari 5200 hand set is a lot more ergonamic and comfortable :thumleft:

Return to “Games Consoles”