PSN to start charging in 2010 ?

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Andy Jones

PSN to start charging in 2010 ?

Post by Andy Jones »

Lot's of rumors at the mo cropping up that Sony's "free online service" which was a very big fish on a hook for me and why I didn't give in to all my mates saying "get a 360" 2 years ago may now be taketh away next year :evil:

Some reports say gaming will stay free and the charges will be for "other" services but some form of subsription fee will be introduced.

Let the discussion and bashing from 360 owners commence ...
Engine rebuilt by: Steve Horrocks & Andy Jones
Engine mapped by: Ryan@2bartuning (330 bhp & 325 lbft @ 1.4 bar)
Current Status: F****D :(
fizz

Re: PSN to start charging in 2010 ?

Post by fizz »

Im sure this has been discussed many times over on the tinter web but to summarise what i saw for the most part is that Sony wont do this.

Reasons; advertisements which is where they get their extra revenue from and if they did start to charge, people would just move over to the Xbox.

Considering it aint selling as well as the xbox, it would be very unwise for Sony to do this.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

:lol: :lol:
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

yeah they said they will be doing this in the new year and they will be upgrading the servers which is good. they said they will be having 2 types kinda like the 360 but they didnt say if you were able to play online on the free one, but they said the payed version will have premium content.
michael

Post by michael »

They will probably keep things as they are on a free basis and then offer a second tier service for paid members where it actually works... they will probably steal all the ideas from the XBox setup that PS3 people would like and then pretend they have done the world a favour.

It's been 6 months since I played a game on my PS3, it's just a media centre as far as I'm concerned.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

michael wrote:They will probably keep things as they are on a free basis and then offer a second tier service for paid members where it actually works... they will probably steal all the ideas from the XBox setup that PS3 people would like and then pretend they have done the world a favour.

It's been 6 months since I played a game on my PS3, it's just a media centre as far as I'm concerned.

Not quite as long, but I would totally agree with you.

While free online gaming is a good thing, this is not and never will be good.

They can boast about all manour of chips, graphics etc etc etc. The fact is the thing you play it with is 15 years old and dated.
fizz

Post by fizz »

Granted it needs bringing up to date but at the same time... if it aint broke... I mean i still prefer it to the xbox controllers.
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

fizz wrote:Im sure this has been discussed many times over on the tinter web but to summarise what i saw for the most part is that Sony wont do this.

Sony can and will, They don't give a crap about the end user. Give us £128 for a 3 month fix on your duff machine or buy a new one ... Nice!!!

A few years back my Viao laptop developed a hardware fault and I rang the customer service number off the box and I was told to have my credit card number ready as I would be charged per question as my 1 year warranty had expired, I told them very politely to "go away" and put the phone down.

I'd only swap to the 360 if XBLA was free which will be never :mrgreen:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

fizz wrote:Granted it needs bringing up to date but at the same time... if it aint broke... I mean i still prefer it to the xbox controllers.

If you applied the logic of "it aint broke" we'd be driving around in model T fords and listening to the radio.

Times move on and everything can be improved.

IMO (and quite a few others) the 360 controller is massively better than the PS one.

Put it this way, people have figured out ways of making a 360 controller work on the PS3.
Has any one bothered to make a PS3 controller work on a 360?
No, because it would be a backwards step :thumleft:
fizz

Post by fizz »

The trigger buttons make my index fingers sore after some sessions of racing games.. never have that issue on the PS pad.

As i said it could do with a fresh look but the ergonomics are good for me.
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

the 360 pads have always gave me bad fingers and hands, the ps2/ps3 has always been nice and fitting. 360 sticks are 2 stiff also
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

matt_mr2t wrote:
They can boast about all manour of chips, graphics etc etc etc. The fact is the thing you play it with is 15 years old and dated.

That twirly thing you control your car with is a tad older and still seems to work ;)

I prefer 360 controllers for driving, and PS3 controllers for FPS.
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

fizz wrote:The trigger buttons make my index fingers sore after some sessions of racing games.. never have that issue on the PS pad.

I'm the other way round, 360 triggers perfect for long driving sessions, PS3's are horrid.

Recently borrowed Ferrari Challenge off a mate and there didn't seem to be an option for races with less laps and 15+ minute races on those triggers are impossible (probably more an age thing, The PS pad has been crippling me for many years now) Shame because it was a cracking game.
michael

Post by michael »

matt_mr2t wrote:
michael wrote:They will probably keep things as they are on a free basis and then offer a second tier service for paid members where it actually works... they will probably steal all the ideas from the XBox setup that PS3 people would like and then pretend they have done the world a favour.

Not quite as long, but I would totally agree with you.

While free online gaming is a good thing, this is not and never will be good.
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://files.playstatic.com/playstation ... ller-2.jpg

Mine are collecting dust behind the TV somewhere, I moved on...

Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

RichardK wrote:That twirly thing you control your car with is a tad older and still seems to work ;)

:lol:

If the "Playstation Generation" had their way in car design input i'm sure we'd see an alternative.

PS3 pad for FPS for sure, My mates lad batters me on the 360's MW2 and I blame the pad everytime :D
fizz

Post by fizz »

Andy Jones wrote:
RichardK wrote:That twirly thing you control your car with is a tad older and still seems to work ;)

:lol:

If the "Playstation Generation" had their way in car design input i'm sure we'd see an alternative.

PS3 pad for FPS for sure, My mates lad batters me on the 360's MW2 and I blame the pad everytime :D

workman and tools comes to mind lad.. :whistle:
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Cheeky :lol:

The top buttons are the wrong way round on the 360 version, L1 & R1 are the back triggers and kids are quite predictable i've found and he's a camping sniper git which I hate as I just tend to run about like a headless chicken and get gunned down an awful lot. But against him I'll patiently sneak around to find the bu88er to sniper him at point blank range (we play LAN in different rooms so he can't see where I am) but it usually ends up with me finding him, Having enough time to take a picture on my mobile to send then i usually hit the wrong button and throw something past his head, You hear him laugh in the other room then he turns round and stabs me with unexplainable lighning quick reactions, I swear, Throw the 360 pad and refuse to play anymore because the button layout is competely wrong.
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

Much prefer the PS3 pad and so do lots of my mates.
Be interesting to see what Sony do with the online. It needs improving but if they charge it needs to be a hell of a lot better.
Marf

Post by Marf »

The PS3 pad is much better than the Xbox pad IMO. As said above, if it aint broke...
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

If sony do this they will be shooting themselves in the foot.

Like they do basically everytime they have a press release.

Meaning they probably wil do it.
Rev 3 GTS

Return to “Games Consoles”