Would Toyota make another MR2 turbo if there was enough interest?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rev3gtturbo

Would Toyota make another MR2 turbo if there was enough interest?

Post by rev3gtturbo »

A while back I was thinking about what I might eventually replace my mk2 rev3 tubby with. (I dont really want to as I like the shape and performance so much, but they are getting old and wont last forever).

There is not a lot out there to compete with it on the road in terms of looks and performance that doesnt cost mega bucks (and I dont like the look of scoobys and evos). The mr2 seems to be very underated by drivers of most other cars until they come up against a healthy mr2 turbo.
All the more reason to keep our tubbys going.

So I was thinking, if the various MR2 owners clubs got together and told Toyota there is a market for a performance car like the MR2 turbo (with mk2 rev3 onwards good looks and aerodynamic styling) rather than all this nanny state slow and flat fronted encap safety stuff, would they put it something like a modernised mk2 tubby back into production?

It might also help keep parts in good supply for our old cars.

I know Toyota are looking into doing something with Subaru, but it doesnt look as pretty as an mr2 mk2 (rev3 onwards) and doesnt have as much power as a tubby :wink:

Do you think they would listen if there was some way we could tell Toyota Japan? I could not find a "suggestions" or "contact us" link on their website.

Got to be worth a try!
Chris

Re: Would Toyota make another MR2 turbo if there was enough interest?

Post by Chris »

In a word...NO! Unless it runs on air, electric or some other non polluting substance #-o :lol:
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

lol... but they must see there is a gap in the market for a fun car rather than a boring nanny state drive at 20mph everywhere sort of car or they wouldnt be trying to develop something fun with Subaru....

I was just wondering if we could sway the styling and power more towards the mr2 turbo which I think looks prettier than the concept car.

If we dont ask we dont get!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

they are away to make the mk4, dunno if they'll do a tubby version, there was a post about it on here recently :thumleft:
redmr89

Post by redmr89 »

i woild deffo like an mr2 witha subaru engine in... my only reason is... its the best sounding 4 cilinder ever in my opinion. it the only reason id buy a subaru... (altho i would never cos there divern by charvas.)

ive just edited this as im sorry for spellin mistakakes as ive just come in form my staff xmas party...
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Of course the real question you should be asking is "If Toyota ever made a new MR2 turbo, would I be able to afford it?", and I'd be pretty sure that the answer to that is no! ;)

Tubbys are "cheap" now, but I seem to recall someone working out that when they were new the equivalent GBP price was circa £19k.
Dundee

Post by Dundee »

I think theres room in the market for a tesla esque hybrid two seater runabout that would echo the mk1. I'm sure its not a case of theres not a market for a sports car that would compete with the 370z but such a car would not fit into Toyota's company profile.
Also if we all went to Toyota and asked them to build one, what percentage of the combined owners clubs could afford to buy a brand new 30 grand car? I know I cant!!

Its a nice idea though :D
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

Slarty wrote:Of course the real question you should be asking is "If Toyota ever made a new MR2 turbo, would I be able to afford it?", and I'd be pretty sure that the answer to that is no! ;)

Tubbys are "cheap" now, but I seem to recall someone working out that when they were new the equivalent GBP price was circa £19k.

I thought the MR2 Turbo cost about 28k new
fizz

Post by fizz »

jdbecks wrote:
Slarty wrote:Of course the real question you should be asking is "If Toyota ever made a new MR2 turbo, would I be able to afford it?", and I'd be pretty sure that the answer to that is no! ;)

Likewise and no.. they wont bring any form of a new 3SGTE engine again due to the way in which cars are now being developed.

Sports cars are getting lighter to go faster as opposed to more bhp (sports cars as opposed to super cars).
Marf

Post by Marf »

As above, any spiritual successor to the Tubby is likely to be a lightweight sports car, probably developed around Toyotas 2GR V6.

Wouldnt be a bad thing IMO.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

jdbecks wrote:

I looked into buying one new from Japan in 1999, I was quoted £23K landed (but with agents fees in). So c.£20K is about right.
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

closest thing these days to mr2 would be the exige,

surely the engine in that could be placed in a fresh looking mr2?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”