Is it me or MR2s going UP in price?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

TubbyTwo

Re: Is it me or MR2s going UP in price?

Post by TubbyTwo »

wish it was true, been struggling to sell mine for £1900 :(
2003 Leon Cupra R, stage 2 Jabbasport remap to 280bhp

MR2 now sold :(
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Marf wrote:Guilty.

http://www.goo-net.com/cgi-bin/goojp/us ... er_cd=1010

Like I said above the sale price in £ has risen so much due to the poor exchange rate.

So apparently no one is selling a rev5 GT tintop!
Marf

Post by Marf »

Some of them are miscategorised.

http://www.goo-net.com/cgi-bin/goojp/us ... ker_search

Rev5 GT Tintop 84,000km 1999 - 1,099,000 Yen/£7,623

http://www.goo-net.com/cgi-bin/goojp/us ... ker_search

Rev5 GT Tintop 63,000km 1998 - 1,290,000 Yen/£8,948
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Marf wrote:Some of them are miscategorised.

Rev5 GT Tintop 84,000km 1999 - 1,099,000 Yen/£7,623

Rev5 GT Tintop 63,000km 1998 - 1,290,000 Yen/£8,948

Cool thanks for that.

It seems it might be a better option to give up the import dream and find a rev5 in the UK. seems to be hard tho if there aren't many over here!

Must...cap...car...budget...at...£7.5k!
Last edited by Racer7 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rev5GT

Post by Rev5GT »

Yes you will less avilable due to high prices.. I sold 2 early this year at £6k and £6.5k. Not been able to buy one in Japan for that kind of money never mind selling on here...!
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Rash wrote:Yes you will less avilable due to high prices.. I sold 2 early this year at £6k and £6.5k. Not been able to buy one in Japan for that kind of money never mind selling on here...!

Yeah. I know you've had more than a few really, really nice examples. I didn't know at the time that these types of cars need to be pounced on. I always figured 'doesn't matter, the prices will come down as they get older anyway' how wrong I was!!

So from a trader point of view is there more reluctance to bring new stock (rev5s say) in to the UK?

I think I might axe my import dream and look local - trouble is no one is selling Rev5 turbos!! (or maybe cos it's Xmas....)
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

could always buy a mint rev4/5 uk car and get a turbo conversion?? :-k might be cheaper! :thumleft:
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

mattymr2 wrote:could always buy a mint rev4/5 uk car and get a turbo conversion?? :-k might be cheaper! :thumleft:

Less toys though - folding mirrors, climate control etc etc.

There is this one:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1365805.htm

I know it's a IMOCers car but the cost a proper (remove engine/panels etc) would probs put the cos back up into the £7.5k zone. Also - and absolutely no disrespect intend to the seller - I don't get why it's been advertised for sooo long and no takers......

Looks like a post Christmas search is on the cards - hopefully it'll pick up then.
Rev5GT

Post by Rev5GT »

Hi mate,
i think there is a reluctance to buy rev5's from dealers here due to the high prices. To me £9k+ is a LOT of money for a stock rev5 tbar turbo. Thats the kind of price you would have to sell for to try and make a profit.

When you think rev5 tubbys at £7k take a while to sell as not everyone pays the premium for them (a lot settle for rev3's and 4's) then to try and sell an even dearer one is going to take some time. Hence you'd rather invest your money in other cars that may sell quicker/easier.

The red rev5 you have pointed out is an absolute BARGAIN and if it was here in England i'd have probably snapped it up. Just the time/distance involved purchasing from NI is the only reason i think that car is still up for sale.

Cheers
starmist

Post by starmist »

I got bit of a bargin with my rev5 turbo Rash, it's just the same as the Newera car but mines a GT as well!
Rev5GT

Post by Rev5GT »

You sure did, and still to date one of the best example's of a stock Rev5 Tubby i have seen...! That car of yours to buy in Japan in this current market would be around £7.5-£8k.

Rash
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

starmist wrote:I got bit of a bargin with my rev5 turbo Rash, it's just the same as the Newera car but mines a GT as well!
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z45/ ... 9X0983.jpg

Where, when and how much did you get this for?

So, it's starting to seem that importing (as a buyer/1st UK owner) is overated?? Is it?
JUIC'IN

Post by JUIC'IN »

I tested the waters in selling my rev5 turbo a couple of months ago.

One owner in japan and me as first uk owner, completely standard and absolutely gorgeous in cosmos blue. Had a few mikey mouse offers, but looking at how hard decent ones are to find and how immaculate this is then im seriously thinking of keeping it.

I bought mine just at we hit recession. When I bought it in Japan the yen was 202/£ when the money actually got transferred only 4 days later I actually got 184/£. Added a couple hundred quid on. :(

Mine cost roughly £8.5K to get on the road. But I went over the top with the servicing and detailing etc. lol.

They are awesome cars.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

starmist wrote:I got bit of a bargin with my rev5 turbo Rash, it's just the same as the Newera car but mines a GT as well!
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z45/ ... 9X0983.jpg

mine was also an import from Rash, 98' GT hardtop...
:mrgreen:
i got it for a bargain price with TONS of mods on there. infact mods spent on this thing by previous jap owner easily cover 1 if not 2/3 times what i payed for the car.
\:D/ \:D/

loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

i only boughtt mine cos it was cheap for what it was paid £900 for rev 1 with few extra's.

but when i decided i was unsure about it i gauged interest for around £1600 as id done a bit of work put 6 months tax and years ticket on it, yet not much interest really
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Post by Bobby (aka Shaggar) »

Interesting thread.

In a twisted kind of way, it's kind of nice to see prices going up, for whatever reason. It was bound to happen eventually guys. I'm only surprised the imports didnt dry up sooner, as I heard from a friend who was living in Tokyo that the Japs were already trying to hold onto their best examples years ago. Apparently they had concerns that their market was being sucked dry by the export trade. They also dont want their prices driven up by lack of stock. Apparentl quite a bit of campaigning was done amongst the owners clubs...or so I'm told.

My mate has just moved to Beijing, apparenlt not much of an MR2 tuning scene out there! :mrgreen:

That 'Goonet' site makes very interesting reading. Seems Newera's car is priced near enough on the ball with shipping costs, tax nad all the rest added on, as well as some profit.

Not to make you all depressed guys, but our economy is in the dung for a long time to come and they reckon by 2012 were going to be pushed out of the top ten richest nations by BRAZIL! By comparison, Japan's economy is already growing again ata steady adn healthy rate, so unless feeling really flush and value your luxuries, I would wave goodbye to the days of cheap imports for agood while.

Looks like my other thread about breaking so many cars ('Future of MR2s') might be more relelvant than you think.

regards,

Bobby

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”