Is it me or MR2s going UP in price?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Racer7

Is it me or MR2s going UP in price?

Post by Racer7 »

I haven't really been following the prices of MR2s (turbos) for a while and came across these the other day:

http://www.neweraimports.com/carDetails.jsp?carId=436

http://www.neweraimports.com/carDetails.jsp?carId=433

Now I know this is Newera hence higher end pricing AND I recognise that t-bar and turbo is not a frequent combo but £9.5k says to me that prices are going up!

A year ago I was looking at 98 GT turbos (granted, tintop) but I'm sure they were circa £7-8k.

Am I just being clouded with nostalgia for a good deal or are the import prices actually going up? (irrespective of currency issues etc)

I love the MR2 but £9.5k...??? wishing I'd gone with the Fairlady Z I saw during the summer!
nitric4k

Re: Is it me or MR2s going UP in price?

Post by nitric4k »

used car market is not moving much, it seems like people are trying hold off till after xmas but alot of people are also asking 3k+ for a rev2, its not the prices have gone up, its just there getting advertised high but not selling,

ive hunted high and low for a rev2 or rev3 tubby, think i have found one just need get to belfast now :thumleft:
Marf

Post by Marf »

2 years ago the Yen was 240odd to the pound, now its hovering between 120-130, so the cost to us to buy an MR2, or any japanese import for that matter has doubled.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Maybe not true for two's, but the general price of second hand cars has definately gone up in the last 6 months. Been searching for a reliable, every day car that I can also use to tow a track car and I'm struggling to find anything decent for the cash I budgeted! I wish I'd bought something 6 - 12 months ago instead :(
bill

Post by bill »

i paid good money for my 1994 rev 3 turbo, but it was exactly what i wanted and mint, so i'm very happy with it, but almost 10k for one???? regardless of what revision it is!

you'd be crazy to spend that on one, considering what you could get for that money, especially when you see nice rev 3's going for 3-4k
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Marf wrote:2 years ago the Yen was 240odd to the pound, now its hovering between 120-130, so the cost to us to buy an MR2, or any japanese import for that matter has doubled.

I know the rate used to be super good for us. But I'm talking even in the past 6-10months when it was probably around 160-180yen to the £

My other example of a 350z is more UK specific - during the summer I found a fair few very nice, very low mileage examples for around £9k now it's a struggle to find the same year and spec for less then £11.5k.

But I digress - I want an MR2 import...

As for £10k on an MR2 - I don't think I could ever be that enthusiastic on a standard motor. But I was expecting to pick up a mint import Rev 5 '99 plate for £7-8k by now.

I understand there are less and there is more demand etc but as much as a 'with heart' purchase that the 2 is I think theres a cut off point where 'with head' has to kick in.
3S Service Centre

Post by 3S Service Centre »

Yep Imports have slowed due to yen, the scrapage scheme has sent alot of or good cars off the road.
Means our cars are worth more, been waiting to see the turnaround and so pleased its happening, lets hope it continues.
call James on 01256 883386 or 07786073755
3S Service Centre

Post by 3S Service Centre »

more worryingly when I was checking out the auctions during my Japan trip I was most dissapointed with the quality of vehicles available.
call James on 01256 883386 or 07786073755
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

best news all year, although i bought my car over 18months ago and im seeing cars with a similar age, mileage and condition now for more money :thumleft:
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

ye a few things will cause this.

1) scrappage scheme has meant a lot of very nice and usable cars have been scrapped, increasing the price of similar cars which havent

2) recession has struck and many people will be breaking their cars. less of 1 kind of car means the remaining ones are worth more

3) because there are less cars being sold, people see this fact and think they can get a higher price, even if theres no demand at that price

i just bought a 93 rev 2 turbo, must have looked at 30 or so adverts and gone to see 7 of them. for a 90-94 MR2 with between 60k and 90k miles, standard, i priced the cars at 950 for a NA and 1700 for a turbo, or at least that was my maximum for each kind.

im not sure how a 98 model completely standard and with the same milage would be worth £7000 more.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Seems I bought my jdm rev5 gt turbo hardtop at the right time!!
:-)
and that's had 10-15k thrown at it as well by the previous jap owner! And a few k by me as well.

Tho would be nice if it was working at the mo, lol.

If stock ones are 'trying to be sold' for 9k +, imagine what newer would have mine up for, lol.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

jimGTS wrote:Seems I bought my jdm rev5 gt turbo hardtop at the right time!!
and that's had 10-15k thrown at it as well by the previous jap owner! And a few k by me as well.

If stock ones are 'trying to be sold' for 9k +, imagine what newer would have mine up for, lol.

Do they actually sell any cars at those micky take prices though?! I wouldn't get too excited Jim!
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Ollie@SkyInsurance wrote:

Do they actually sell any cars at those micky take prices though?! I wouldn't get too excited Jim!

hense my 'trying to be sold' in quote marks dude, lol

tho to be fair, who else is actually importing in rev5s now?
that WRC place had 1 for 7+k from what i remember 4-6months ago with minimal mods.. ramotors was selling a couple half a year or so ago, not seen many since.
Last edited by jimGTS on Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rev 3 Kris

Post by Rev 3 Kris »

honestly i dont think prices have changed people are just trying to get the most for there cars but the way things are all you have to do is haggle and people sharp drop on the price
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Yes, JimGTS - so you keep reminding me!!! [-X Lol 8)

I remember seeing the posts when you just got yours and being surprised at what you got.

I do think some of the £7.5k cars have sold. Newera had a few more prior to the £8-9.5k ones.

I never would have thought I'd see car [MR2] prices increase. I would have thought the scrappage scheme would mean less uptake of used cars as you could get a new car more easily.

I'm a bit surprised at the apparent lack of good quality Rev5s coming over (going on a previous post on this thread).

Funnily enough didn't we all expect an influx of Rev5s coming into the UK now that we're inside the 10year rule?

Seems to me that there still really isn't that many Rev5 turbos here.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Racer7 wrote:

I was under the impression that as it was the last revision of the mk2, that most of them were being kept by their Japanese owners instead of being sold and exported...certainly the ones in good condition anyway.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

ashman wrote:
Racer7 wrote:

I was under the impression that as it was the last revision of the mk2, that most of them were being kept by their Japanese owners instead of being sold and exported...certainly the ones in good condition anyway.

Also the fact that the rev5s were made in such small quantity compared to the rev3/4 cars probably doesnt help.
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Race Idiot wrote:
ashman wrote:
Racer7 wrote:

Also the fact that the rev5s were made in such small quantity compared to the rev3/4 cars probably doesnt help.

But £9k?! I'm sure there's a reluctance for them to leave the country but that's not to say that they're not being sold. As I'm guessing that they're being sold at auction I can only imagine that there are too few cars coming to market and too many companies like Newera that are fighting over them thus pushing the price up.

Anyone in the trade know what they tend to start at at auction? (wide question I know) I'm all for paying a company to do the sourcing, exporting and paperwork etc. But I wonder if the profit margins are going up to offset fewer sales or if they genuinely come to auction at an already very high price.

I just don't want to spend money on a car that's too overpriced. What I need now is some major financial catastrophe in Japan to send the yen plummeting to 300Y to the £!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

last time i looked at the online JAP autions, theres were still rev5s going for £8-10k IN japan!
let aone the costs to get those ones over here.

someone posted a link not so long ago with like about 20-30 rev5s for sale in japan, some were 6-7k, some 10k! and thats jap prices!
Marf

Post by Marf »

Guilty.

http://www.goo-net.com/cgi-bin/goojp/us ... er_cd=1010

Like I said above the sale price in £ has risen so much due to the poor exchange rate.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”