FINALLY - 720 BHP / 565 LB-FT

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: FINALLY - 720 BHP / 565 LB-FT

Post by Ryan S »

How does it compare to the Gallardo when you have it set to 400bhp???
steve b

Post by steve b »

V8Killer wrote:Sorry - ain't been here as much as i'd like to over the last few days!

To get to this level its cost me in the region of 30k+ (no re-mortgages yet though). But thats just the start! At this power level, things break quite easily (touchwood nothing has broken yet), but you have to be prepared for it!

The nice thing is the power can be adjusted from between 400BHP and 700BHP so day to day am just using it as 400BHP car.

700BHP is pretty much useless in a MR2 on the road. On track its pretty useless too! On a straight road / drag strip it'll probably come into its own, in-fact its an effin animal (30-130 against my friend's Gallardo, he was so far behind it was embarassing)!!!

If you want big power, the MR2 is not the best car to start with - stick with 400BHP its more then enough.

In comparison my Evo IX will be pushing in the region of 600BHP shortly and all in all its cost me less then 1/2 of what i've spent on the MR2, but the best thing is you can use 90% of the power ALL OF THE TIME!

I hope am not having a go - but am just being realistic!

If your gonna build something like this, think about what you'll be using it for!

Good stuff mate :) :thumleft:

I remember those year ago selling you my remanufactured viper induction kit, I bet if you bolted that to your turbo the whole thing would get turned inside out and sucked in :D

Now you've built this what next though? Got to go bigger engine, not point doing jap stuff thats been done already, V10 R8 but be different and do it supercharged??
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Ellie_mk2

Post by Ellie_mk2 »

Sorry if this is a daft question, but ive only just joined the site.
What engine is in it??? i saw someone mention a 3.0?

Mental figures though, well done!
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

lol, its the 3sgte it came with
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

i've read all this but can't mind, is the displacement still 2 litre or is it bore out or have a stroker kit???

mental figures though!!!! just f*cking insane!!!
Scotster

Post by Scotster »

720hp from a GT35r :-k

No Nos?

2bar on a GT35r gives 650 on a 2jzgte and its getting out of its efficiency.

Was it an American dyno? What was the RWHP figure?

The car is going to be a monster, absolutely no doubt, but 720 from such a small turbo is ridiculous IMO. It's the turbo I really want and i'm hoping for [email protected] bar with cam's and supporting mods.

I did ask a few questions and do a few searches on rapid GB and it appears they tend to overestimate by quite a bit. Without being proven elsewhere I would take the figure with a pinch of salt.
lockys96

Post by lockys96 »

take it to SSR for a ball park figure.

power can depend on a number of things, ive moved away from chasing figures, just how the car performs.

but gt35 with small single scroll .68 housing made 570hp for me at 1.7bar
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

Scotster wrote: What was the RWHP figure?

620rwhp
Scotster

Post by Scotster »

Quigonjay wrote:
Scotster wrote: What was the RWHP figure?

620rwhp

Don't believe it but I will be happily proven wrong if it puts that down at SRR.

This has to be the highest performance ever, on any engine with a GT35r without NOS & on pump fuel. I can't find anything thats put out more than 650fly@2bar.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

think the graphs are on the first page
Scotster

Post by Scotster »

They are, that proves nothing though. A RR operator can give you any figure you like. You have been around for long enough, surely you understand over and under reading? I've seen RR graphs on many forums that simply look as if a kid has drawn them with an etch a sketch. I could name some optimistic dyno's I could name some under-reading dyno's. For me Dastek or SRR are the only 2 places to get a near as damnit reading.

I understand that not many MR2 owners will be "up" on the spec of the GT35r but the supra owners are. I know what this turbo is capable of flowing and what it is not capable of, if it has pulled 720 from a 3sgte on a stock manifold I will be fall of my chair astonished as, for all intents and purposes, that is just not possible.

This leads me to believe there is only 1 explanation. Dyno is optimistic, and by quite a long way.

As I previously said, I will very happily eat my words as it would be astounding. I would need to see it on a dyno that isn't regarded as being "ridiculously optimistic" (from other forums, not my own quote).
greeny

Post by greeny »

The fact it was on pump fuel amazed me!
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

To be honest there is so much variation in dyno's you never really know how to take things. It can be used as a reference for when you are there more than once, but thats pretty much it.

The only way to test true power is to put it up the strip.. the terminal speeds don't lie. Regardless of the launch the car will be within 1-2mph @ finish.

Xxxx apparently got over 1000 on the dyno yet his terminals are 10mph down on mine....
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Chris

Post by Chris »

What bhp does yours put down Nath? Xxxx is selling a 600bhp one on Ebay at the moment. Is his 1000bhp one red? If it is, it's lost 400bhp and it's yours for £9995 :thumleft:

As said, all dyno's are up and down and can be munipulated. Mine did 635bhp on the same dyno, mapped by the same person. My GT35r is a 3582 with a 1.06a/r. It runs 2.5Bar of boost on V power. Last time I spoke to Dave (today) he said V8killers car is an incredible piece of kit. I think we need to know his full exact set up before doubting power output. I personally don't think Dave Rowe needs to BS his mapping skills up or produce incorrect power graphs. :-k He has nothing to prove at all so it would be of no benefit to him.

Maybe call Dave at EPS Scotster and ask him?
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Chris wrote:What bhp does yours put down Nath? Xxxx is selling a 600bhp one on Ebay at the moment. Is his 1000bhp one red? If it is, it's lost 400bhp and it's yours for £9995 :thumleft:

As said, all dyno's are up and down and can be munipulated. Mine did 635bhp on the same dyno, mapped by the same person. My GT35r is a 3582 with a 1.06a/r. It runs 2.5Bar of boost on V power. Last time I spoke to Dave (today) he said V8killers car is an incredible piece of kit. I think we need to know his full exact set up before doubting power output. I personally don't think Dave Rowe needs to BS his mapping skills up or produce incorrect power graphs. :-k He has nothing to prove at all so it would be of no benefit to him.

Maybe call Dave at EPS Scotster and ask him?

Those were the figures banded round about 8 months ago.

On a mustang dyno my car made 751 @ wheels but that's race fuel, nitrous and a 4094 blower.

On the old 35r (.82 & TO4Z comp wheel) it made 630 @ wheels on race fuel. That was good enough for a 140/1 terminal.

I'm not doubting the setup or power figures whatsoever, you can see from the video it's laying down serious power :twisted:
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
redeye32uk

Post by redeye32uk »

V8Killer wrote:The nice thing is the power can be adjusted from between 400BHP and 700BHP so day to day am just using it as 400BHP car.

700BHP is pretty much useless in a MR2 on the road. On track its pretty useless too! On a straight road / drag strip it'll probably come into its own, in-fact its an effin animal (30-130 against my friend's Gallardo, he was so far behind it was embarassing)!!!

If you want big power, the MR2 is not the best car to start with - stick with 400BHP its more then enough.

In comparison my Evo IX will be pushing in the region of 600BHP shortly and all in all its cost me less then 1/2 of what i've spent on the MR2, but the best thing is you can use 90% of the power ALL OF THE TIME!

I hope am not having a go - but am just being realistic!

If your gonna build something like this, think about what you'll be using it for!

To right, mines at 500+ with the nos at the moment, its my daily transport and is , most of the time, a pain for daily use. Thank god i work shifts and miss the trafic but i drive around with the boost set to 1 bar (as oppossed to 1.6 ) and of course the nos off. 350 to 400 is plenty for a daily driver ............. was going to say I must be getting old, then realised I am old :lol:
Last edited by redeye32uk on Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
450wbhp comming soon
Chris

Post by Chris »

I don't change mine at all, it's all or nowt. I don't see point it doing all that work to turn it off. Mine drives like a stock car off boost, It will only go as quick as my right foot allows :thumleft:
redeye32uk

Post by redeye32uk »

I know what you meen, mines like a stocker off boost, its just so easy to get to silly speeds otherwise and is addictive, i need my license :whistle:
450wbhp comming soon
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

Chris wrote:Last time I spoke to Dave (today) he said V8killers car is an incredible piece of kit. I think we need to know his full exact set up before doubting power output. I personally don't think Dave Rowe needs to BS his mapping skills up or produce incorrect power graphs. :-k He has nothing to prove at all so it would be of no benefit to him.

Wow - seems i've missed abit!

Thanks though Chris, although i can say the engine is nothing special, it is a gem of an engine! And Dave Rowe did mention that he's seen nothing like it!

The car is around 2.04 cc to be exact but it has a rod ratio of 1.66. I had Pauter make me custom long rods and CP, some shorter pistons. This allowed Dave to bang in so much ignition timing. The larger the rod ratio, in effect your allowing in more air, because the rod is travelling down further, yet coming up faster. Speak to ChrisK @ www.enginelogics.com, he'll give you a full run down, it was his idea!

Oh, i also forgot to mention i spent over 4k on porting on the head alone. We tried 3 different cam setups before settling on a pair bog standard HKS 272s.

We also tried out 3 different turbo's, before finally settling on the one currently on the car - 4 soon, because its being sent to FP for a HTA compressor. The turbo is basically a GT35R, with some extra porting here and there!

If am honest, i never thought i'd get 700BHP+, i'd have been happy with 550BHP, but hey, why not!

In-regards to dyno figures, i don't really take them seriously. Though its nice to know a ball park figure! Once we've sorted out these few niggly issues, it'd be at a drag strip shortly!
M5
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

Scotster wrote:I did ask a few questions and do a few searches on rapid GB and it appears they tend to overestimate by quite a bit.

Care to elaborate please?

Scotster wrote:Without being proven elsewhere I would take the figure with a pinch of salt.

Your probably right :thumleft:
M5

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”