Big Brake kits

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rogue

Re: Big Brake kits

Post by Rogue »

Rogue wrote:I'm constantly getting spammed from a manufacturer in China that claims to be supplying World Touring Cars, but it's not a name I'm familiar with so I'm more than a little wary.

...and as if by magic, the shopkeeper appears! I had (yet another) email from these people this morning:

http://www.xyz-racing.com/brakekit1.php

I've never heard of them beyond the spam they keep sending me but they might be worth a punt. Anyone else heard of them? They advertise kits for the mk, mk2 and mk3.
lockys96

Post by lockys96 »

there are reviews here

http://www.reallymeansounds.com/forum/a ... -kits.html

they supply wtcc alfa cars, and looking at the thread a uk supplier allready.

doesnt look like spam
duvvaduvva

Post by duvvaduvva »

I have 297mm disks and 4 pot Willwood calipers,standard rear discs and calipers with no bias adjustment.My car has never spun or had any adverse issues concerning braking what so ever.Ps I have hammered these brakes and they are a huge improvement over the stock set up.Also I had lengthy conversations with the guys at AP Racing and feel convinced by what I've experienced that there are no issues with a 300mm front set up.Regards,John.
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Rogue wrote:
Rogue wrote:I'm constantly getting spammed from a manufacturer in China that claims to be supplying World Touring Cars, but it's not a name I'm familiar with so I'm more than a little wary.

...and as if by magic, the shopkeeper appears! I had (yet another) email from these people this morning:

http://www.xyz-racing.com/brakekit1.php

I've never heard of them beyond the spam they keep sending me but they might be worth a punt. Anyone else heard of them? They advertise kits for the mk, mk2 and mk3.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=121499
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

do these calipers come with dust seals fitted?
Ruishy1

Post by Ruishy1 »

Would anyone be interested in a big brake kit to fit under smaller wheels ?

i would be using skyline/300zx calipers and stock 275mm rev 3 discs, would really keep the costs down while giving a good increase in braking :D
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Ruishy1 wrote:Would anyone be interested in a big brake kit to fit under smaller wheels ?

i would be using skyline/300zx calipers and stock 275mm rev 3 discs, would really keep the costs down while giving a good increase in braking :D

sounds great, what's the catch :mrgreen: 4 pots are a much better design that the slider 2 pots we have at present
Ruishy1

Post by Ruishy1 »

No catch mate, by using the rev 3 discs it keeps costs down, the adaptor will take up the offset/spacing issue, so all you do is source a set of calipers attach the adaptor and voila :thumleft:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Ruishy1 wrote:No catch mate, by using the rev 3 discs it keeps costs down, the adaptor will take up the offset/spacing issue, so all you do is source a set of calipers attach the adaptor and voila :thumleft:

yeah it's that bracket manufacture that makes it difficult. you have access to a machine shop?
MrLuke

Post by MrLuke »

Ruishy1 wrote:Would anyone be interested in a big brake kit to fit under smaller wheels ?

Im very interested in doing this as I need to buy refurbed calipers anyway :neutral:
Ruishy1

Post by Ruishy1 »

allan welsh wrote:
Ruishy1 wrote:No catch mate, by using the rev 3 discs it keeps costs down, the adaptor will take up the offset/spacing issue, so all you do is source a set of calipers attach the adaptor and voila :thumleft:

yeah it's that bracket manufacture that makes it difficult. you have access to a machine shop?

yeah, local guy near me \:D/
nailmonkey

Post by nailmonkey »

Hi,

Would they fit under standard alloys?

Nik
Tiny turbo + standard exhaust + aircon = 346bhp/300ft/lbs @ the hubs!
Ruishy1

Post by Ruishy1 »

very possibly mate, is there much clearance on rev 3 brakes ?
nailmonkey

Post by nailmonkey »

Hi,

No, there's virtually none in the verticle plane, sometimes stick-on wheel weights can catch the calipers.

I don't think there is much clearance horizontally either but the wheels could be spaced out slightly.

I'd just like some calipers that weren't a sliding design without having to change the wheels :(

Nik
Tiny turbo + standard exhaust + aircon = 346bhp/300ft/lbs @ the hubs!
Ruishy1

Post by Ruishy1 »

there may be enough clearance mate, once ive made it up, il double check they fit behind 15's :thumleft:
Keri-WMS

Post by Keri-WMS »

dave5526 wrote:Isnt doing just the fronts a bit dangerous?

Just in response to the OP's question, the answer is "no", as long as the upgrade is properly designed.

Have a look at these numbers, both WMS options put the bias smack on (or between) Rev 1 and Rev2> factory settings! :mrgreen:

Quick version:
- Std Rev 1 Bias = 60.5/39.5
- Std Rev 2 Bias = 58.0/42.0
- WMS/Rev 2 Bias = 59.0/41.0
- WMS/Rev 1 Bias = 58.0/42.0

Standard Rev 1 Mk2:

Standard Rev 2 Mk2:

...so that's the standard cars, here are the upgraded options....

Rev 2 rear brakes matched with 298.5mm disc / 1.38" piston WMS kit, what most people would use I'd have thought:

Rev 1 rear brakes matched with 298.5mm disc / 1.25" piston WMS kit, handy to know it works:
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Return to “Modifications”