[Mk2] [Generic] Aftermarket Catch can

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nailmonkey

[Mk2] [Generic] Aftermarket Catch can

Post by nailmonkey »

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend me an aftermarket oil catch can? I can't use a stock one and there is no provision for the vapour/oil to go back in to the engine so I'd prefer one with a sight glass so that I can monitor the level. I'd also prefer a one with internal baffles, the hyperflow one as used by the scooby boys seems good but does anyone have any other options or opinions?

Thanks,

Nik
Tiny turbo + standard exhaust + aircon = 346bhp/300ft/lbs @ the hubs!
Steve-O 2007

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Aftermarket Catch can

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

I fitted a Cusco catch can to mine -

dai21t

Post by dai21t »

Why do you need a baffled can? Surely your engine shouldn't be chucking that much out.
Dangerous

Post by Dangerous »

U can but my greddy one if you like as i dont really need it...... :wink:
It has a sight glass and is in good nick..i'll even throw in the aeroquip hoseing in aswell!!
I,m just gonna put a filter on the oem catch can instead of having 2 of them...(catch cans)
nailmonkey

Post by nailmonkey »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Steve-O 2007 wrote:I fitted a Cusco catch can to mine -

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url194.imageshack.us/url194/3351 ... medium.jpg

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url9.imageshack.us/url9/4640/050 ... medium.jpg

Looks good, do you know if the can is baffled?

dai21t wrote:Why do you need a baffled can? Surely your engine shouldn't be chucking that much out.

Well, if it's not baffled you may as well use an empty beer can! As it's there to catch oil vapour the more surface area for the vapor to condense on the better.

Dangerous wrote:U can but my greddy one if you like as i dont really need it......
It has a sight glass and is in good nick..i'll even throw in the aeroquip hoseing in aswell!!
I,m just gonna put a filter on the oem catch can instead of having 2 of them...(catch cans)

May be interested for the right price...

Although the greddy isn't baffled, it does come apart and there are plenty of guides on the internet on how to fit baffles.

Feel free to PM what price you are looking for.

Thanks,

Nik
Tiny turbo + standard exhaust + aircon = 346bhp/300ft/lbs @ the hubs!
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

dont know if its baffled but I googled and found this, apparently the actual "Pipe / hosing" is baffled -

the cusco is the best, even though its more expensive if you notice the clear hosing it has metal baffles in it. These baffles separate the oil from the air and collects the oil in the catch can. This is what a catch can essentially does, separates the oil from air.

the other two are different. They have cheap crappy hoses which do not contain baffles. There is however a way to get over this problem. People (including myself) open the top of the catch can and put stainless steel wire in to act as the baffling.

HINT**** The cheaper ones are good, but make sure u get one that has a removeable top, or you wont be able to stuff it with steel wool.

Return to “Modifications”