[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev2 to Rev3 Head Conversion *NOW MAPPED*

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Turbolad

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rev2 to Rev3 Head Conversion *NOW MAPPED*

Post by Turbolad »

whats your full spec list paul? That's good figures from low boost and high temps!
Whippett

Post by Whippett »

Cheers guys!

I'm at work on my iPhone so am limited to what I can do, will stick some pics of the complete set-up in the boot when I get home tonight.

It does have a scoop in the boot channeling air through the core and the boot is completely sealed, although some heat is generated from the induction pipes.

The IC is 4 inches thick so plenty big enough, I hate to admit it but I guess changing the exhaust is going to be necessary.

A full and very detailed spec is in my garage.

Chat later guys
mr2toby

Post by mr2toby »

Co2 System

No idea if they are any good though.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ ... =DEI080131
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

defiantly get 2 spal fans behind it mate. they will make a big difference. Also wrap the exhaust at the section behind the IC.

Im not 100% on carbon heat soak properties but im sure its a bad conductor of heat, am i right?? If so, get a flat piece of carbon with high-temp resin that you can fit between the IC and the exhaust, then coat the bottom in reflective film.
Whippett

Post by Whippett »

Intercooler scoop:

As you can see it's very well sealed so boot temps aren't high.

I'm thinking twin fans on the other side of the IC blowing through and a change of exhaust... but I may wrap it first.

Even contemplating CO2 cooling, didn't realise you could get a basic spray bar kit so cheap, £128?

The IC was so hot I couldn't even put my hand on it :shock: I'm liking the idea of some heat reflective film also, CBS Online do some which reflects heat up to 800'c.

I've now got all the makings for an ACT gauge, well 2 of them to measure before and after the IC. I also now know how to check AITs on my laptop when plugged into the Link.
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

nice looking build not to upset you ,but the first thing is why do you have a right angle in your intercooler pipe :-k
second where are you getting flow to the intercooler #-o what you would be better doing is cut out the rubber on the side vents to allow air into the boot remove the side carpets in boot then cut a hole either side in the box to allow air to flow in also the twin fans will help the pull through of air if you put the fans on inside of intercooler to blow then they will suck air in behind them, when i cut out the side vent rubber on mine it made a massive difference to air flow :thumleft:
co2 i didnt realise it was that cheap good idea but dont forget your only masking the problem fix that first :thumleft:

cut where arrows are :thumleft:
Whippett

Post by Whippett »

tarmac terrorist wrote:nice looking build not to upset you ,but the first thing is why do you have a right angle in your intercooler pipe :-k
second where are you getting flow to the intercooler #-o what you would be better doing is cut out the rubber on the side vents to allow air into the boot remove the side carpets in boot then cut a hole either side in the box to allow air to flow in also the twin fans will help the pull through of air if you put the fans on inside of intercooler to blow then they will suck air in behind them, when i cut out the side vent rubber on mine it made a massive difference to air flow :thumleft:
co2 i didnt realise it was that cheap good idea but dont forget your only masking the problem fix that first :thumleft:

Hi mate - firstly, the right angle; originally it was to maximise boot space. I now know that in terms of efficency it wasn't the best idea. Opinions are mixed and some say it's not helping air flow and others say it will make such a small difference it won't even matter. I am going to change it though for a smoother curve!

When I designed the build of the car originally, I wanted to keep it as much of a road car as poss.. hence the choice of the GT3071. Now I find myself asking why? When I have a Laguna DCi as my daily driver (100 mile round trip to work :shock: ) and this is my toy... who cares how nice and comfortable it is... I want it to balls-out scare me everytime I drive it!! lol.

I need to take some photos of the underside of the back end of the car as it is quite well designed. There is a massive scoop (which is the raised part in the boot) which channels air straight through the core of the cooler. This is the same design adopted by Xxxx, although mine is a much nicer looking incarnation! (No offence Xxxx :mrgreen: )

A mate of mine did automotive engineering at uni and says that air flow through the core when on the move will be good as the air movement will 'hug' the contour of the bottom of the car, thus forcing air through the IC. this doesn't help me when static though, so a pair of fans will help here. I was deliberating fans for a while but now I know I need them.

If I fit the fans, I don't understand why you think I should vent the boot, I assume this is because you haven't seen the design of the scoop underneath? Or am I wrong? :-k There is plenty of space on the other side of the IC for the fans to pull air from - I really need to get the pics up, will try and take some tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice though, I will take it on board.

Lockys96 wrote:you want some of this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEAT-SHIELD-HEAT- ... 7C294%3A30

Cheers mate, I 've seen this stuff used as exhaust manifold/turbo heat shields so it must be good, not cheap though! I will either redesign/exchange the exhaust or fit some form of heat barrier.

CO2 kits - they are not cheap!! That link to Demon Tweeks is JUST the spray bar, NOT the bottle or the kit!!! As we all know Demon Tweeks are bloomin expensive anyway, but the installation kit with 10lb bottle (instead of 5lb) with a medium sized spray bar is well in excess of £500!

http://www.nimbusmotorsport.com/ProdSho ... tegory=287
tarmac terrorist

sorry mate didnt realise it was vented underneath, looks like all you need is the fans then :thumleft: doing the side vents would still add more flow :thumleft:
this is how mine looks
ducting has since been removed & is now also carpeted
ImageImage
fans on underside of intercooler (sucking)
under vent to allow air to run across intercooler & act as a venturi
ImageImage
ImageImage
Whippett

Post by Whippett »

I don't have my MR2 to hand to look but I'm not sure what you mean about the side vents. I know there are small rubber seals which can be removed at the side of the boot - have you just vented air in through these? Does it really shift that much air at the angles they sit at?

Do you think the fans BLOWING air through the core will be effective enough to solve my problem alone? Im considering CO2 spray but usually that is mounted on the front of a FMIC and being on the rear, the CO2 may just blow away from the car, unless of course I just use it to cool the core when stationary. I will of course measure AITs once the fans are fitted before going spendin out on anything else.

On a completely different note, does anyone know if the Nur-Spec is quite a restrictive exhaust? Which exhausts are the most free flowing?

EDIT: I can't quite see how your scoop is fitted, do you have any better pics?

mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Paul, I think you should do a funky little side exit exhaust system like Nathans :D That way there'll be no heat sources near the IC at all and you might not even need fans. Your oil cooler might be in the way, though?

BTW, have you fitted your engine lid fan kit?
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

No exhaust looks kinda 8) imo
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

mattcambs wrote:Paul, I think you should do a funky little side exit exhaust system like Nathans :D That way there'll be no heat sources near the IC at all and you might not even need fans. Your oil cooler might be in the way, though?

BTW, have you fitted your engine lid fan kit?

Cheeky git!!! That was my idea :oP. This would sort the exhaust probvlem while sounding as mean as anything. Try and chat to Nathan as he did this for his beastie. Might need some serious packing it the pipe though - maybe even a bung....

Would some amazing and spool up quicker too ;o)

Bring on the pod
Chris
Mr Rapey Banana WILL get you...oh yes! :)
tarmac terrorist

Paul @ Kent Car Craft wrote:I don't have my MR2 to hand to look but I'm not sure what you mean about the side vents. I know there are small rubber seals which can be removed at the side of the boot - have you just vented air in through these? Does it really shift that much air at the angles they sit at?

Do you think the fans BLOWING air through the core will be effective enough to solve my problem alone? Im considering CO2 spray but usually that is mounted on the front of a FMIC and being on the rear, the CO2 may just blow away from the car, unless of course I just use it to cool the core when stationary. I will of course measure AITs once the fans are fitted before going spendin out on anything else.

On a completely different note, does anyone know if the Nur-Spec is quite a restrictive exhaust? Which exhausts are the most free flowing?

EDIT: I can't quite see how your scoop is fitted, do you have any better pics?

the vent drops through the floor the smaller end faces the engine & the larger end faces rear bumper

the fans do make a big difference yes :thumleft:
these side vents mate
will try to take some more pics this week for you
the spray bar would be better on the inside of intercooler i think you could then make a bracket to mount the fans slighty back from the spray bar :thumleft:
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Chr15py wrote:

Cheeky git!!! That was my idea :oP. too ;o)

Ha, ha! You snooze, you loose, bruv!

Return to “Modifications”