[Mk2] [NA] Help, iv'e got a ticking noise

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tank

[Mk2] [NA] Help, iv'e got a ticking noise

Post by tank »

Noticed recently a ticking/clicking type noise :( which sounds to be coming from offside rear, its happening under acceleration from 2k revs which seems to disappear at just under 3k revs.

Seems to be doing it in all gears but doesnt seem to be louder in any 1 gear, just a bit concerned any ideas?

thanks

chris
BLZ-8027

ticking

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Ive got a ticking /clicking noise that goes up with the revs more so under load cant hear it when on tickover only when sitting in drivers seat
sound similar?or is yours only when rolling?
tank

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Help, iv'e got a ticking noise

Post by tank »

ish...like above mine only between 2k and 3k and under acceleration...im hoping it could be exhaust...someone could advise me if its not a possible option...i'm going to order some new exhaust gaskets, clean and make sure everything in order and go from there,

ta chris
BLZ-8027

ticking

Post by BLZ-8027 »

The previous owner of my car said a mechanic told him it was the water pump but wouldn't be an issue?
k-ro

Post by k-ro »

sounds like what i have aswell. mine ticks away at low revs when i have my foot down, i assume it continues, but cant here it over the engine noise as the revs pick up
tank

Post by tank »

so there seems to be a few of us, its just annoying...as dont like it when things aren't running as i feel they should.

No-one had this happen and done anything to fix as seems a common-ish prob...

thanks

chris
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

If its the same set up as the MK1 and it is coming from the rear offside then its likely to be one of three things:

Alternator
Water pump
Idler
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
k-ro

Post by k-ro »

im sure mines near side..
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

I have this on my car too, I’m going to 3s with mine next week (for this and a few other things) I will report back what they say. From how I described it they thought it was coming from a belt, which I do to.
tank

Post by tank »

thanks tiamat, just gives me a few options to have a look at, and if you could mikey that would be appreciated as sadly doubt mine will be sorted before then. :(

I'm just hoping it is something trivial :pray:

Likewise on the off chance if i do find out whats causing it ill report back...

Thanks

Chris
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

May sound stupid, but if it only does it when driving (as opposed to revving/running the engine in neutral whilst stationary)...check for a small stone trapped in the tyre tread.

I've had this a few times and it can really make a very disconcerting 'mechanical failure' type of noise. It will increase with road speed until overall sound drowns it out.

Always worth checking the free/cheap things first...
k-ro

Post by k-ro »

Anyone got any news on this yet?? How about pinking? does this happen on NA's?
RST

Post by RST »

Mine does this slightly -noticed ever since the new engine, I'm sure it wasn't there on the old one.

I can't really tell where it's coming from in the engine -doesn't sound like the bottom end.

My K reg Civic used to make the same noise. Almost sounds like worn tappet sound of noise but not as loud.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

peoples check your exhaust manifold gaskets.

They click :wink:
RST

Post by RST »

peoples check your exhaust manifold gaskets.

They click
Excuse my ignorance, can you elaborate please?

Thanks,

Richard
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

well the exhaust manifold is a multilayer metal gasket. When air starts escaping out the side it'll have a reed effect. This will be most audible when the engine is started from cold, and as components heat and expand, it will be become less audible.

Look for black build ups around the exhaust manifold and use the diagnosis above to determine if it is indeed this gasket.
k-ro

Post by k-ro »

Skywalker wrote:well the exhaust manifold is a multilayer metal gasket. When air starts escaping out the side it'll have a reed effect. This will be most audible when the engine is started from cold, and as components heat and expand, it will be become less audible.

Look for black build ups around the exhaust manifold and use the diagnosis above to determine if it is indeed this gasket.

crossed my mind. does seem to be the approximate area, on mine any way. Would this no still make the noise when reving in neutral though?
RST

Post by RST »

Thanks Skywalker -I know exactly what you mean, just wanted to double check with you. I checked for that before but I didn't see anything blowing on mine. The engine was only put in a few months ago as well so should be OK.

Think I'll post on the BEAMS section on www.mr2board.com -see what comes up. Actually I only started thinking about it seriously since I'm probably going down to Dastek -didn't want them flagging anything up when I get there (embarrasing!).

If I find anything on the other forum relavent then I'll post back.

Cheers,

Richard
benjo

Post by benjo »

hey im new to imoc did anyone find out what it is ? #-o as mine has just started doing it!
Baker

Post by Baker »

i think everyone is getting too worried about this, this is common on mr2 engines, the 3 ive had have ticked a bit. in fact most of my cars ive owned have done it to some extent.
Notably the FTO suffers with this also, and adjusting the tappets is commonly done.
its the slow deep knocks you need to worry about!

Return to “Mechanical”