[Mk2] [NA] REV 3 N/A...LSD?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GHOST

[Mk2] [NA] REV 3 N/A...LSD?

Post by GHOST »

As above, does the standard non-turbo UK REV3 have a limited slip diff?
Mikey P MR2

Re: [Mk2] [NA] REV 3 N/A...LSD?

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

no dont think so.
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

Just turbos then?
steve b

Post by steve b »

Just turbos, there is a way mind, phone Mr Woods
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

yep theres a way,we discovered if you buy any Mk3 Uk spec 5 speed gearbox and take the diff out of it (all mk3 uk specs have LSD) ,then fit the mk2 crownwheel and side bearings onto it.... you will now have a mk2 NA gearbox with LSD for cheap.

This is what i have done on my 1mz v6 supercharged mk1 running with a mk2 NA gearbox.

Mk3 lsd in a mk2 box above.

Also if you are really clever,buy a pair of NA celica front shafts (3s-ge engined) and make a supported carrier mount,that way you have the benefits of an equal length supported driveshaft set up like the turbos have.

Hope that helps
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Isn't the Rev 3 viscous ie ATB?

The earlier ones are plate type LSDs which are infinately preferable really, ala like the MK1 SC LSD.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
steve b

Post by steve b »

PW@Woodsport wrote:yep theres a way,we discovered if you buy any Mk3 Uk spec 5 speed gearbox and take the diff out of it (all mk3 uk specs have LSD) ,then fit the mk2 crownwheel and side bearings onto it.... you will now have a mk2 NA gearbox with LSD for cheap.

This is what i have done on my 1mz v6 supercharged mk1 running with a mk2 NA gearbox.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v624/ ... nnabox.jpg

Mk3 lsd in a mk2 box above.

Also if you are really clever,buy a pair of NA celica front shafts (3s-ge engined) and make a supported carrier mount,that way you have the benefits of an equal length supported driveshaft set up like the turbos have.

Hope that helps

Paul,

how much would you charge for a drive in drive out service to fit a mk3 LSD, inc parts?
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

steve,last time i got asked for a price on the forum and i replied with the answer some total spazmo reported me for advertising prices despite the fact i pay into this club and was only answering a question. :roll: OR someone who knows the price can tell you on the forum and even tell you its us that does it,but i cant... great eh? (it has a couple of zeros in it and a 4,that may also be the paint code for toyota superwhite,you decide) :thumleft:

I'm still loving the standardisbetter link lauren :lol: tell me,which is better,koni's or stock mk1 shockers for handling?

www.standardisonlybetterifyouarewearingananorak.com

ps im going to give you grief about that link until you admit its rather silly :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

PW@Woodsport wrote:
I'm still loving the standardisbetter link lauren :lol: tell me,which is better,koni's or stock mk1 shockers for handling?

ps im going to give you grief about that link until you admit its rather silly :D

LOL. Just a bit of fun with the link. :+:

Mainly because we are intent on keeping the DC2 standard as standard is better of course. Some cars don't need modifying. :tongue:

Mind you in regard to comparing standard dampers and koni's its really hard to say unless you have a set of brand new mk1 dampers to use as a comparison.

Any views on my comment about the Rev3 LSD being an ATB type diff... wouldn't you prefer a plate type ala the earlier Mk2s/mk1 SC?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

As far as im aware no NA box (S54) has an LSD fitted be it viscous or otherwise....im happy to be proven wrong but we have never seen one and thats with the vast number of cars we get to work on,they just dont seem to exist.

I heard a rumour that late rev5 NA's had LSD but this has yet to be confirmed as well.

The best bet is just to fit the mk3 diff instead of trying to find the holy grail.

I wouldn't say the DC2 is a perfect car though lauren,room for improvement there surely? Not even a set of poly bushes?

Im off to hunt through all your posts lol im pretty sure you advised someone to fit koni's to a mk1 not so long back....determined to catch you out on this standardisbetter gumf! :thumleft:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I'm talking about taking an LSD from a Rev1/2 turbo rather than an NA.

You love the standardisbetter.com... mind you the DC2 has new OEM bushings. :+:

The way it handles and drives, I just don't want to change it, it really is that good out of the box. Its a little bit hardcore on the road, but i can easily forgive it that. :+:

Well of course i'm going to say fit koni's to a mk1. All mk1s original dampers will be totally shot by this point, so it makes sense. But i do wonder how it would compare with new OEM dampers, pity they are too expensive to realistically try.
steve b

Post by steve b »

PW@Woodsport wrote:steve,last time i got asked for a price on the forum and i replied with the answer some total spazmo reported me for advertising prices despite the fact i pay into this club and was only answering a question. :roll: OR someone who knows the price can tell you on the forum and even tell you its us that does it,but i cant... great eh? (it has a couple of zeros in it and a 4,that may also be the paint code for toyota superwhite,you decide) :thumleft:

Fantastic, cheaper than just a TRD diff would be my random guess. :) Its next on the list after a set of smaller wheels. It would also be a sensible thing to do pre V6 I guess :) I was worried many years ago as I remember reading an interview with the Celica designer and he warned that the new diffs couln't cope with turbo torque he said that was one of the reasons for no GT4 equivalent in the new shape, lighter weight but less strength. But since seeing the numerous 260bhp mk3 mr2s that fear has gone away. :thumleft:

Rogue

Post by Rogue »

PW@Woodsport wrote:I heard a rumour that late rev5 NA's had LSD but this has yet to be confirmed as well.

Consider it confirmed. They were optional from revision 4, and IIRC the EPC lists them as standard equipment for about the last six months of production.

A lot of people with revision 5 S54 gearboxes are unaware that they have a limited slip differential because they are of the torque sensing (torsen) type. They're notoriously difficult to test for and you can't tell just by jacking the wheels up and spinning them.

Patrick
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thankyou for clarifying patrick. :thumleft:

Lauren i fitted a brand new OEM set of shocks and springs to a resto a few years back,it felt tight and solid although that was PB'd as well so hard to say if the feel was partly the bushes,but no contest against the koni's which are always superb.... although you do have to get the koni's set right.

Is that a momo steering wheel i see on marks SC? \:D/ 1-0
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Thankyou for clarifying patrick. :thumleft:

Lauren i fitted a brand new OEM set of shocks and springs to a resto a few years back,it felt tight and solid although that was PB'd as well so hard to say if the feel was partly the bushes,but no contest against the koni's which are always superb.... although you do have to get the koni's set right.

Is that a momo steering wheel i see on marks SC? \:D/ 1-0

Fair comment Paul.

Yes it is a Momo wheel, standard in the SE. :+: Teg has a Momo wheel as standard too. :+:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

ah fr1g... 1-1
wiggee

Post by wiggee »

phoned toyota

my car has lsd as standard its a 1998 rev 5 uk

states it in owners book also

toyota guy came off with the waffle that t bar with leather no lsd sunroof with cloth has lsd and are usually the optional colours.
Skinny81

Post by Skinny81 »

hi,

does anyone know how many posts i need to put in before i can put pictures on my listing?

Cheers, john.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Skinny81 wrote:hi,

does anyone know how many posts i need to put in before i can put pictures on my listing?

Cheers, john.

15 :thumleft:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”