[Mk2] [Turbo] advice found on water in driver footwell please

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ericuk

[Mk2] [Turbo] advice found on water in driver footwell please

Post by ericuk »

I have water leaking into the drivers footwell. For a long time I have suspected the heater matrix and disconnected this only to find that after it sitting in the rain, it has got wet again.

Its not a tbar so my only thought is maybe that the water is running down and in from the windscreen, and not into the tray at the bottom of the windscreen.

Is this a common problem? could someone take a picture of the path the water should rundown from the windscreen please?

Its my only theory and I want to get this sorted once and for all.

Thanks in advance,

Eric
HighwayStar

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] advice found on water in driver footwell please

Post by HighwayStar »

Is it water or coolant (if you taste it you'll soon find out)? Either way finding where it is dampest should help uncover where it's coming from ie. front of footwell coming from behind the dash or at the seat 'end'... could it be coming in through the door windows (there should be a membrane in the door plus water 'channels' to move it to the drain holes)?
Hope you sort it mate.

R.
hermit

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] advice found on water in driver footwell please

Post by hermit »

Had similar for about three years. Would wash MR and notice damp carpet in drivers footwell. Thought the strip seal along the bottom of the window was to blame as their always seemed to be water blobs on the sill protector.

Therefore checked and cleaned door drainage holes in case water overflowing or bypassing door trim seals, but no.

In the mean time, have had another outstanding fix to do, door lock sitting incorrectly to the body stay. Door very difficult to shut. Door must of dropped over the years.

Lifted on the hinge to body bolts. No door slamming and more importantly NO water leak! \:D/

hermit

Return to “Mechanical”