Nurburgring

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

filthy

Nurburgring

Post by filthy »

Called in at the nurburgring last week on a trip to Germany and it was absolutely awesome. I've done loads of hillclimbs and sprints over the years but none compare to this. Only had chance of one dry lap which was awesome but it rained on my next lap which was a bit frightening.

Are there any MR2s going over there this summer?

PS took the MR2 turbo up to 155mph on the autobahn on the way back (didn't want to go over 7000rpm) - nice to be able to overtake a German police car while cruising at over 130!

PPS I drove there and back on R888 and they hardly seemed to have worn.
Rowland

Re: Nurburgring

Post by Rowland »

**Jealous**

:salut:
Ayrton

Post by Ayrton »

Was there a month ago in the MR2 turbo.
Yes awesome place.
Hit 140+ in a couple of places on the ring & 150 on the Tom Tom on the autobahn :twisted:
Must go back soon !!
Simarshy

Post by Simarshy »

Nurburg... best track in the world ;)

I'm going over second last weekend of July and going to be camping with some friends there. Not sure the mr2 is going I think I'll be driving a GT4 around (it's to close to the next sprint if I break somthing) but mr2 will be back there next year :)

Your more to welcome to join our us if you wish :)

Si
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

If there is such a thing as heaven, it must surely be the Nurburgring. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Lauren wrote:If there is such a thing as heaven, it must surely be the Nurburgring. :+:

Dont you mean hell Lauren?

Green hell :lol:

I loved my experience there but boy can i imagine how it can bite you hard if you get it wrong.
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

Century Motorsport wrote:I loved my experience there but boy can i imagine how it can bite you hard if you get it wrong.

it will bite quite hard i imagine :shock:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vz34DNhAAlQ
Century Motorsport

oooooo - nasty.

Looks like he didnt know the track that well? Was pretty aggresive on the steering on a corner that must be nearly flat in an MR2.
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Century Motorsport wrote:

I loved my experience there but boy can i imagine how it can bite you hard if you get it wrong.

Not in my mind. The scary parts are what makes it what it is. :+:
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

Century Motorsport wrote:oooooo - nasty.

Looks like he didnt know the track that well? Was pretty aggresive on the steering on a corner that must be nearly flat in an MR2.

if you watch the brake lights he is still braking when he turns in :shock:
left it a bit late i think :pale:
Century Motorsport

Lauren wrote:
Century Motorsport wrote:

Not in my mind. The scary parts are what makes it what it is. :+:

All relative i guess - if it was an F1 car i think it would be more than scary!

Its a fantastic circuit, the best in the world i thought - certainly the hardest..... then i watched a programme on the TT - makes the ring look like childs play.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Century Motorsport wrote:Its a fantastic circuit, the best in the world i thought - certainly the hardest..... then i watched a programme on the TT - makes the ring look like childs play.

The TT is not a circuit we can drive, not in the truest sense anyway so the Ring is number 1 IMO.
Ayrton

Post by Ayrton »

Lack of experience/control, braking into the fastest most dangerous corner at the ring, Shwedenkrautz or whatever it's called.
I was doing 140+ :shock: approaching that one but no way was I going thru it at more than 100/110 with a balanced throttle well in advance so a bit of braking. Plus the exit's blind so it's hold on & pray noone's fallen over in front !
There's a bump on the way in as well that unsettles the car.
Apparently a common touristfahten crash & people in cars have died there. Some Brit in a Clio rolled 3 times & ended up in hospital just before we were there.
Need some care on the first few laps !!
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

I will be there 4 weeks today!!! Nernernernerner!!! \:D/
Michel

Post by Michel »

Ayrton wrote:

Lack of experience/control, braking into the fastest most dangerous corner at the ring, Shwedenkrautz or whatever it's called.
I was doing 140+ :shock: approaching that one but no way was I going thru it at more than 100/110 with a balanced throttle well in advance so a bit of braking. Plus the exit's blind so it's hold on & pray noone's fallen over in front !
Apparently a common touristfahten crash & people in cars have died there. Some Brit in a Clio rolled 3 times & ended up in hospital just before we were there.

Yeah Schwedenkreuz ( :) ) is pretty tricky because of the bump but also braking for Aremberg can be quite a challenge if you come out of Schwedenkreuz on the very right side, there's not much tarmac left to switch back from right to left so you have to make a compromise between exit speed and ideal line. If it's wet it's best to approach Aremberg on the right though, much safer because the left part of the road is bumpy.

But there are more entertaining corners for a MR2, it just depends on your speeds. Some corners can be dull at moderate speeds but when you give it just that little bit more you'll find yourself struggling to keep it on the black stuff sometimes :)
Ayrton

Post by Ayrton »

Michel wrote:
Ayrton wrote:

Yeah Schwedenkreuz ( :) ) is pretty tricky because of the bump but also braking for Aremberg can be quite a challenge if you come out of Schwedenkreuz on the very right side, there's not much tarmac left to switch back from right to left so you have to make a compromise between exit speed and ideal line. If it's wet it's best to approach Aremberg on the right though, much safer because the left part of the road is bumpy.

But there are more entertaining corners for a MR2, it just depends on your speeds. Some corners can be dull at moderate speeds but when you give it just that little bit more you'll find yourself struggling to keep it on the black stuff sometimes :)

See you're in Nurburg, you lucky, lucky .......
How many laps have you done in the MR2 & is it better or worse than any other similar cars for the ring.
Michel

Post by Michel »

I've only done about 40 laps so far with the MR2, I bought it a few weeks ago :( Before the MR2 I used to drive a fwd Corolla, more then 600 laps, fast one though with a 20v lump. In the end I was just as fast as , for example, average driven MR2-Turbo. Through the bends/twisties the Corolla is faster (simply easier to drive on the limit) but the MR2 has it on the bits between the corners :) Especially the uphill sections (Bergwerk to Steilstreckenkurve and towards Hohe Acht) the extra bit of torque is very welcome. So now I'll have to go through the process of getting used to the MR2 which was kinda a PITA at first but I'm getting the hang of it. Ofcourse the extra weight is noticeable but only while braking/accelerating (low speed accelerating) in the corners the MR2 is stable and balanced, body is much more rigid too..

I think it's safe to say that the SW20 N/A is the faster car but it comes down to the driver more then people sometimes (like to..) think. With the Corolla I was doing consistent laptimes around 8:50 ~ 9:00 BTG depending on traffic and weather. Took me quite a few laps though. Now with the MR2 I'm very close to those times but I've only done 40 laps so I guess eventually I'll be faster ( in the dry lol ! ). It's all about practice :)
Simarshy

Post by Simarshy »

Nice BTG times :thumleft:

I was aiming to try and get 8:30 in the Mr2 had I been taking it this year as I feel it's achievable without risking the car.

GT4 should be fun and alot easier to feel around the track. Would be nice actually as I should spend more time on my lines and build up confidence in some of the tricker bits.

Si
Michel

Post by Michel »

8:30 should be possible with the amount of power from a Rev3 Tubby but you'll be pushing the car (and yourself) to the limit though.

I think the GT4 will shine in the wet.. on the dry you'll always be faster with the MR2 I'm pretty confident about that.. GT4 is pretty damn heavy and they can understeer pretty strong.. maybe a bit safer yeah that's true though and a nice car to build your experience !
paul port

Post by paul port »

I think it was John's second trip to the 'ring, and about his 3rd-4th lap of the day...
It was my 2nd ever lap...

Paul.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”