Changing the waterpump

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BIGBOBO

Changing the waterpump

Post by BIGBOBO »

My car started to leak coolant, a quick inspection later it was clear the waterpump was broken.

I got a new one and going to replace it on monday,reading other topics I already found out it's best to also change the O-rings and bolts. Going to change the belt to.

Is there anything else I could do while I am at it? (Timing belt is out of the question, not enough time). Also, if someone would be able tell me what type and size of bolts and O-rings I need that would be helpfull to.
MartG

Re: Changing the waterpump

Post by MartG »

If the O rings on the back half of the pump aren't leaking, leave them alone and just swap the front bit. Taking the timing belt off helps access, though it isn't totally necessary. Smearing the gasket with RTV Silicone sealant will help prevent it leaking when you fit the new pump
flak monkey

Post by flak monkey »

Did mine a couple of weeks ago, took about 3 hours in total, inluding draining and re-filling the coolant.

It helps to take the bit of bodywork off thats next to the engine lid. Its only held on with 3 screws and lifts straight off.

Undo all the bolts on the pump, some long sockets help, but arent essential.

Be very careful when refitting the new pump that you dont crease the gasket, or overtighten the bolts which hold the 2 halves together, its very easy to strip the threads.

No need to remove cambelt, perfectly easy enough without doing that.

David
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

I spent 3 hours yesterday locating and undoing all the bolts. 30 min to drain the coolant and another 30 min trying to get the old gasket of. (which isnt finished yet)

Then it was nearly midnight so I called it :(

Going to finish it tonight (hopefully).
nicedude1976

Post by nicedude1976 »

How long should it take a garage to get it done (including the thermostat) ?
Just had it done and thought that 4+ hrs they mentioned was a bit long.
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

ok, I finally finished this. Here's how it went:

(Note that I had acces to a proper garage and bridge so working underneath the car was very easy)

First night:
(18u30-22u30)

• Spend an hour or so letting the car cool down, remove the plastic covers and drain all the coolant.
    Removed all hoses, water reservoir and timing belt covers.
    Found out you have to raise the engine a bit to remove the water pump pulley.
    Got the water pump itself out (not the part between the pump and the engine/hose)
    Gasket wouldnt come off, so spend ages sanding it down.

Second Night:
(18u00-22u30)

• Spend some more time sanding down the gasket.
    Installed a new water pump with gasket
    Bolted everything back on.
    Raised engine to fit waterpump pulley and used a plier to bend the lower timing belt cover so it would fit around the needle sticking out (you"ll see what I mean when you get to it)
    Filled it with coolant
    BIGGER LEAK THAN BEFORE, banged my head against the wall (*,) ](*,)
]

Third Night:
(17u00-22u30)

• Went to mr T and got a new gasket and 2 O-rings (11€ incl taxes)
    Drained coolant, removed everything (again!)
    Removed water pump and the metal piece between the engine block and water pum.
    Removed old gasket properly this time.
    New O-ring in engine block and waterpump (O-rings are slightly to large, might take some fiddling to make them fit)
    Fitted everything back together.
    Filled with coolant, no leaks :shock:

Then on the way home the water hose from the filler cap to the engine block broke or got loose and it started leaking again. No 200km drive for tonight :(

Conclusion:

If you are doing this for the first time and haver never done anything except basic maintenance it will take A LOT of time, save an entire day, a weekend if possible. But I'm sure if a white collar college boy like me can do it, everyone can do it.

Replace the O-rings. Sure mr T rips you off at 2,5€ each but you absolutely don't want to redo everything because one fo them started to leak.

Test for leaks with water, I wasted 5l of coolant.
flak monkey

Post by flak monkey »

You shouldnt need to raise the engine to undo or remove the pulley, the bolts should come undone with a ring spanner easily enough and the pulley will come out with a bit of judicial wiggling in the right direction.

Use an old screwdriver/chisel to scrape off the old gasket, use a mirror on a stick to check you got it all.

Take the bit of bodywork off next to the engine lid, makes the job 10x easier.

David
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

flak monkey wrote:You shouldnt need to raise the engine to undo or remove the pulley, the bolts should come undone with a ring spanner easily enough and the pulley will come out with a bit of judicial wiggling in the right direction.

The bolts came off just fine, but I couldn't get the pulley out, not enough clearance between the pump and bodywork.

flak monkey wrote:Use an old screwdriver/chisel to scrape off the old gasket, use a mirror on a stick to check you got it all.

I tried, but I still couldn't get everything off + there's not much space for screwdrivers there. I didn't want to use a knife since it's so close to the timing belt.

flak monkey wrote:

Take the bit of bodywork off next to the engine lid, makes the job 10x easier.

David

Didn't do this one, but I guess if I have to do it again now I'd only take 4 hours or so. First time is always hard and slow!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”