[Mk2] [Turbo] Fitting XS-Power Intercooler and GTS-Chris Shroud and Fan

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JeffD

[Mk2] [Turbo] Fitting XS-Power Intercooler and GTS-Chris Shroud and Fan

Post by JeffD »

Just thought I would share my experience of fitting an Intercooler along
with a shroud and SPAL fan. Not sure I did it he best way but here goes...

Bought off Ebay for £119 icl delivery I receibved what I belive is the uprated version which has improved clips etc.

After chatting on the forums I was convinced to buy a shroud and SPAL fan which I bought from GTS_Chris for £70 incl delivery.

I started this job thinking it was going to take me about 1-1/2 hours max - how wrong was I! :-( LOL

Remove the drivers side engine access cover by removing the 2 bolts:

Remove the X-brace by undoing the the 2 bolts and nuts on each side:

Loosen off the clips on the intercooler pipes and remove the pipes - can take a bit of wriggling to remove!

Loosen off the bolt securing the Oil dipstick for a bit of extra access:

Once the pipes are off unclip the fan connector and remove the 3 bolts to remove the fan which should just then pull out:

Undo the bolts securing the top intercooler bracket:

I dont think you can even see it properly on this pic but remove the bolts securing bottom of intercooler (you need to use a ring spanner for this and its a bit of a pin to do):

To give you more space remove the 4 bolts holding the engine hanger on and remove hanger:

Again to improve access remove the 2 bolts securing the pipe that runs across the top of the intercooler and twist it out of the way (still connected):

So far so good - now this is where everything went downhill..... :-(

I tried to remove intercooler thinkinbg it would come out now but first problem was that it still appeared to be stuck at bottom to a bracket with completely inaccessible bolts. Eventually I removed the drivver side 1/4 air vent and using a ring soanner with lots of patience undid the 2 bolts securing the bottom of the intercooler (notice the spare wheel I was using to stand on - when working on your engine for some time its a killer for the back leaning over!):

I wasnt really getting anywheree still so decided to undo the 3 bolts holding the shroud on to try and intriduce a bit more flex into the situation. The top 2 werent too bad but the bottom is almost invisible and involves lvereing away the shroud to the pint of almost damaging it then undoing the bolt - again with a spanner passsed through the 1/4 air vent.

Well after a lot of messing etc I finally managed to wrangle the thing out - took me ages but if you persevere it will come out - not an enjoyable job though! The shroudd should then come out too. Should be left with an nice empty gap:

Fitted the shroud resuisng 3 boths that held cooler to bracket:

Trial fitted the interccoler which goes in and out easily when fan is not attached:

Next problem I has was trying to work out which pipes/hoses went together to join up the intercooler - found it harder than doing a rubiks cube! LOL Anyway once I had worked it out I acually connected up all the pipework uninstalled so access with spanners wasnt a problem. I suggest first you do a dummy run without any clips so you can twist it all around easily so the pipewok lies comfortably.

Put the back pipe on before fitting fan and make sure the clamp bolts arnt going to interfere with the fan mount bracket.

Bolt upthe fan to the mount with the bolts supplied in the kit:

Bolt up the 3 bolts to secure the fan and mount to the intercooler. When I had to reput it on due to a pipe blowing off I followed a tip to use tiewraos instead but I have found that it moves about making a scrapoing noise whn you go over bumps so I'm going to put the bolts back when I get chance.

I found that the bolts supplies in kit werent much use as they were allan key and the washers wernt big enough for the intercooler brackets (on right) so I reused the existing intercooler bolts (on left):

The other problem was that the connector on the SPAL fan didnt match the original Toyota connector :-(

Rather than ruin my existing wiring by cutting it - or the fans I used a screwdriver as a lever to force the tabs down in the fan flug then pulled the tabs out the connector. With a bit of judicial filing I could then plug the 2 tabs into the original connector- SHOWN BEFORE THEY WERE INSULATED BTW!!!

I'm quite lucky as the previous owner had fitted an override switch to make the fan come on all the time so with the fan on I held a tissue up the vent to make sure that it was sucking not blowing - the tissue was duly sucked up the vent. Also, use a tie wrap to secure the wiring out of the way of the alternator belt so it doesnt get damaged.

Reinstall the engine hanger bracket you removed and also put back the pipe that runs across the top of the intercooler.

Assemble and connect the top pipe up:

The clips that come with the kit have come in for a lot of criticism in the past but they looked ok - the only problem I had was that one of ythye clips was just too small so had to re-use one of my old jubilee clips which was a bit annoying:

On the whole the clips seem ok but I did have one blow off the enext day which was the bottom one at the back - typical! which I retightened as much as I dare without problem so far.

Just reassemble any other bits ie. cross brace and engine access panel. Should be left with these bits:

Must admit its a pretty horrible job removing stock intercooler but you just have to persevere. I also strongly recommend you get a something to prop the engine lid up so you dont have to use the normal engine lid prop as otherwise it is constantlt in the way.
paul_4xxxx

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Fitting XS-Power Intercooler and GTS-Chris Shroud and Fan

Post by paul_4xxxx »

i will make sure i fit an uprated intercooler before i fit my new engine then :D

cheers for the write up... should go in the knowledge base :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

not quite the way i went about it, i didn't need to remove the hanger and a couple of other things but all in all a good write up which i'm sure will let people know what to expect and help them out when they get stuck....

well done for the effort in posting this and your time in doing so,

well done :clap: :clap:
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

I just wished they came with instructions - never knew sucha simple looking bit of kit could cause so much heartache! LOL
greeny

Post by greeny »

Have you got a link on where you got the i/c from?

Cheers.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

I got it from Ebay - XS-Power advertise on there all the time. Sometimes they do things as a "buy it now" or "make an offer". I just waited for one that finished late at night with no bids on :-)

The shroud and fan were both from GTS-Chris's website.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Just give it a few months and wait for the top bracket holding the ic to body snap... Then take it all out again and reweld.

:pale:
Rob

Post by Rob »

Good write up Jeff.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Cheers Rob :-)

Pirate : stop being so miserable LOL ;-')
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

great write up, would have been very helpful to me if i had not already done mine. i am sure it will help others :clap:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

nice but how many Jubilee clips do you need on one pipe lol??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: -

JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Thanks Steve! LOL

Id just like tio add that thts something the previous owner did - havent a clue why - only thing I can think off is that iot was to stop the pipe deforming...dunno - completely baffles me!

Just out of interest - did anyone remobve the intercooler and shroud a different way from me?
GhostWKD

Post by GhostWKD »

notice much difference over the stock ic at all? :)
Ex Rev3 n/a x1
Ex Rev1 Turbo's x3 (buy cheap = buy 3x...)
Current VW Bora TDI
Current RX7
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

I cant really say there is an enormous difference. Car accelerates more smoothly now. Before on the stock intercooler there was a smidgeon of hesitancy mid range which has completely gone now. Cant say 100% for sure whether this is down to new intercooler or unwittingly fixing a slight boost leak in my orginal stock system.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

But Im guessing if you up'd the boost on the stock IC and then up'd the boost on the Uprated IC you would notice the difference more.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

But Im guessing if you up'd the boost on the stock IC and then up'd the boost on the Uprated IC you would notice the difference more.
Not sure if I understand what you mean but it was already running with amanual boost controller which I didnt alter between changing intercoolers. Or do you mean up it again after the uprated cooler? (Ive actually got an EBC to fit so wont be playing with the MBC)
JasonB

Post by JasonB »

Great write up there. I always plan on being methodical and taking a few pictures whenever I start something but I end up rushing in like a bull at a gate and forgetting to take the pics.

Another vote for this to be put in the knowledge base - this could help a fair few people.

I did mine with the engine out so it was easy in comparison. I also haven't had any issues with the clips supplied and the only grief I had was having to buy two extra silicon hoses.
I understand the first ones didn't have cast end pieces and the quality wasn't the best, I was happy when mine arrived that it had the cast ends and the everything looked fine, in all they aren't bad for the money.

JB
oBladeo

Post by oBladeo »

Good write up chap i went a dirrent way of doing it too

You should get that rust sorted too
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Cheers cahps! :-)

Its early days yet (only finished last Saturday) so if I have any problems with clips etc I'll post up that too. Hoefully not though...
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

JeffD wrote:

Not sure if I understand what you mean but it was already running with amanual boost controller which I didnt alter between changing intercoolers. Or do you mean up it again after the uprated cooler? (Ive actually got an EBC to fit so wont be playing with the MBC)

Ah, I thought you were running stock boost settings. What I was meaning was you would probably notice a bigger difference in higher boost levels (Eg if you had 1.2Bar boost with the stock IC and then went to running 1.2bar boost with the uprated IC )

Return to “Modifications”