New Debating Point! Whats the besk MK of MR2 for pure driving pleasure??

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

PJ3074

New Debating Point! Whats the besk MK of MR2 for pure driving pleasure??

Post by PJ3074 »

OK...I'm on my 2nd MK1 (done the T-Bar now on a Coupe, both Red) and love the AW-11 with a passion. My old man's had new AW-11's back in the day and now he's got the MK2 and swears its the better ride...someone who I used to work with had the MK3 which was a nice ride but I thought was a bit girly until I saw the V6 one on this site which looks the nuts....what the best drives you've had and in what mark?? :-k
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: New Debating Point! Whats the besk MK of MR2 for pure driving pleasure??

Post by Lauren »

The MK3 has the best handling no question.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Mike

Post by Mike »

My money would be on a Mk1.5 or a turbocharged Mk3. I've only ever driven 3SGTE engined Mk2s so personally I'd be left wanting more grunt in either a Mk1 or Mk3 I expect.
By all accounts Mk1s are very chuckable and are quick enough for most.
A well set up Mk2 is a joy to drive, the best mod I've done on my Tubby is the Tein coilovers, the car was transformed. decent bushes next. :thumleft:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Mike wrote:My money would be on a Mk1.5 or a turbocharged Mk3. I've only ever driven 3SGTE engined Mk2s so personally I'd be left wanting more grunt in either a Mk1 or Mk3 I expect.
By all accounts Mk1s are very chuckable and are quick enough for most.
A well set up Mk2 is a joy to drive, the best mod I've done on my Tubby is the Tein coilovers, the car was transformed. decent bushes next. :thumleft:

Yeah i agree the mk3 has a great chassis but all that does is underline how much its lacking in the power stakes. I drove a turbo'd mk3 on track and on a eurotrip and that felt pretty good, it had enough power to exploit the chassis. Was about 220bhp IIRC.
excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

I had a Mk1 with performance, lowered, all new bushed up suspension and it handled like an absolute dream. The only thing that worried me was the fact that is sometimes felt like it could literally 'hop' off of the road. Weird feeling. Fantastic drive.

I now have a lowered Mk2 Turbo with brand new yellow billies and even though it 'does' handle well, I simply wouldn't 'push' it as much as I pushed the Mk1. No disrespect to the Billies, but I wouldn't get them again. Tein next time.

So to answer, I'd suggest that a Mk3 with a supercharger or Turbo would be the finest model. If it has the 'handling of the Mk1, a bit more power, that would be a winner. (Then again I nearly drove a Supercharged Mk1 but was shafted by the person who sold it to me)

Other than that, the Mk1 and Mk2 all have their problems , as does the Mk3 (Not a great deal of power)

:D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Nice

Post by Lauren »

excalibur1814 wrote:If it has the 'handling of the Mk1, a bit more power, that would be a winner. (Then again I nearly drove a Supercharged Mk1 but was shafted by the person who sold it to me)

Other than that, the Mk1 and Mk2 all have their problems , as does the Mk3 (Not a great deal of power)

:D

It really does have better handling, its easier to place, its more precise, so you can play with it more as a result.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Just to confuse the issue a bit: I've driven 6 different mk2 turbos and all of them felt different! Steering weight/feel, brake performance/feel, clutch pedal weight - all different.

I'd love to drive a mk1 and mk3 just to see what the lightweight MR2 ideal is all about.

My opinion on the mk2 is that it really needs suspension upgrades to make it turn in more responsively and feel sporty. Stiffening the chassis also seems to make the steering heavier, which provides much more feedback from the road.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

mattcambs wrote:Just to confuse the issue a bit: I've driven 6 different mk2 turbos and all of them felt different! Steering weight/feel, brake performance/feel, clutch pedal weight - all different.

I'd love to drive a mk1 and mk3 just to see what the lightweight MR2 ideal is all about.

My opinion on the mk2 is that it really needs suspension upgrades to make it turn in more responsively and feel sporty. Stiffening the chassis also seems to make the steering heavier, which provides much more feedback from the road.

You should try the other marks. I've driven them all, I think pretty much every variation. You are right about needing suspension upgrades on the mk2. I remember driving Toni's Rev3 tubby (had done 24K) and that had teins on.

I was really impressed with it, sure there was still the issue of throttle response with a turbo, but it was manageable as long as you were aware of it, but i really liked that.

But no other mk2 i've driven has got anywhere near to that. They seem to range from being reasonably well sorted but not particularly stunning or inspiring/involving, to being completely out of sorts. I've driven lots of mk1s and the only one that felt really bad was an SC with absolutely shagged balljoints.
michael

Post by michael »

Where are you driving too and from and what's the weather like?

Then I'll decide which car to take :)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

michael wrote:Where are you driving too and from and what's the weather like?

Then I'll decide which car to take :)

Are you some kind of lightweight northerner? :shocked:
michael

Post by michael »

Lauren wrote:
Are you some kind of lightweight northerner? :shocked:

I'm a girl.

I just know that I covered a lot of big distances in absolute comfort in my MK2 with enough power and handling on tap to play when it mattered. But I also spent an amazing day with the IMOC US chaps in the hills near San Jose and was blown away by time spent in the MK3 in a group of more powerful machines.

If I'm going to the south of France the answer to this would probably be a MK2, if I'm just going to kill some twisties then maybe a MK1.5 or the MK3 with a turbo...
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

michael wrote:
I'm a girl.

I just know that I covered a lot of big distances in absolute comfort in my MK2 with enough power and handling on tap to play when it mattered. But I also spent an amazing day with the IMOC US chaps in the hills near San Jose and was blown away by time spent in the MK3 in a group of more powerful machines.

If I'm going to the south of France the answer to this would probably be a MK2, if I'm just going to kill some twisties then maybe a MK1.5 or the MK3 with a turbo...

You are? :shocked:

:+: :hug:

For sure the Mk2 is the best long distance cruiser, its quick and its comfortable. Would agree. The MK1.5 is great fun and quick. MK3 turbo is a great compromise... remember covering a serious distance down to Dijon in a pretty short time.. the turbo was glowing red hot when i pulled into the services. It was also astonishingly good cross country on some very twisty roads between dijon and magny cours. I was in a convoy with two K20A engined elises and a caterham superlight. No issues keeping up.
excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

Buying a Mk3 may not be expesive.... but what does the turbo conversion cost and it would have to be reliable (Don't even mention the luck I've had with the Mk1 and 2. But then again, that was just luck of the draw)

(Goes off to Autotrader to look at the Mk3 prices.... Starts to feel sick knowing how much he's spent on his Mk1 and especially Mk2 which still isn't working 100%)

http://tinyurl.com/635dmn
Turbo conversion
PJ3074

Post by PJ3074 »

mattcambs wrote:Just to confuse the issue a bit: I've driven 6 different mk2 turbos and all of them felt different! Steering weight/feel, brake performance/feel, clutch pedal weight - all different.

Mate, thats why I love the Mk1, it does the bends like nothing else. I did drive my old man's MK2 again over the weekend and has more straightline grunt, but I thought it was a bit lame in the bends (mind you he has std. suspension :lol: )...I think my ideal would be to have my MK1 with a MK3 1.8VVTi + Twin Scroll Turbo lump installed...If I had the coin I'd have several versions so I could pick me fancy for the day (only x2 lottos numbers on Sat...F :@: :@: K IT!!!) :lol:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I've never driven or even been in a mk1 or a mk3

I know for my style or driving (motorway, long straight roads) the mk2 Turbo would suit me more. It's comfy and devours miles at quite a rate. On near standard ones engine and road noise is even pretty quiet.

What I would like to know is, does that same ethos apply to mk1 and mk3 cars?
Are they comfortable and quiet for covering large miles?
I dont know why, but they dont look it, if that makes sense.
Because of their size they look like they're not cut out for it.
PJ3074

Post by PJ3074 »

matt_mr2t wrote:What I would like to know is, does that same ethos apply to mk1 and mk3 cars?

I'll only be using my MK1 as a 2nd / weekend car when its done. When I had my first MK1 T-Bar it was well modified and the Janspeed Exhaust noise got right on my boobs when I went upto N.Wales (I live in Kent). It was comfy enough but not with that exhaust setup, so won't be bothering with one on my Coupe. I don't think you could live with a MK1 as a daily driver for any significant distance...best off with the MK2 or if you cut hair for a living get a MK3 :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Oi, my dad was a hairdresser [-X
excalibur1814

Long

Post by excalibur1814 »

For long motorway driving, there are far better cars out there with regards to comfort. The Mk1 (With a janspeed :D ) was quite loud and the Mk2 is better, bit still nowhere near as comfortable as some of the 'standard' pool cars in work.

My gearbox is notchy dropping into second and that is a right pain in the rear.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

matt_mr2t wrote:I've never driven or even been in a mk1 or a mk3

I know for my style or driving (motorway, long straight roads) the mk2 Turbo would suit me more. It's comfy and devours miles at quite a rate. On near standard ones engine and road noise is even pretty quiet.

What I would like to know is, does that same ethos apply to mk1 and mk3 cars?

They are okay for long distances though nothing amazing in terms of refinement. The MK2 does better for mile munching, but really if you want a quick mile muncher/autobahn stormer by an M3, they are quite a bit more refined.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

PJ3074 wrote:
Mate, thats why I love the Mk1, it does the bends like nothing else. I did drive my old man's MK2 again over the weekend and has more straightline grunt, but I thought it was a bit lame in the bends (mind you he has std. suspension :lol: )...I think my ideal would be to have my MK1 with a MK3 1.8VVTi + Twin Scroll Turbo lump installed...If I had the coin I'd have several versions so I could pick me fancy for the day (only x2 lottos numbers on Sat...F :@: :@: K IT!!!) :lol:

Yeah, mk2s on standard suspension are pretty bland. I don't actually think it's the standard shocks so much, though, which actually give a nicely compliant ride. A big improvement can be had by adding a good front strut brace and slightly stiffer springs.

Coilovers, strut braces, 205 width front tyres and a smaller steering wheel makes a huge difference :thumleft:

Return to “Driving Experiences”