Brake options

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

halflife

Brake options

Post by halflife »

Hi there

I am changing the engine on my 86 1b to something with a bit more go. I have been told it has between 170 - 180 bhp but time will tell. I am trying to buy some shocks direct from Koni at the moment as we buy off them at work but I thought I should also look at the brakes.

There are two issues

First the master cylinder is leaking, can you buy a seal kit for it or is it not worth it

Secondly what upgrades if any should I consider with this power? I would really like to avoid changing callipers for larger ones so was wondering about a set of steel braided hoses and new discs / pads. Anyone got any thoughts. Skint after buying the engine so need to bare the pennies in mind sorry :pale:
TheCraig

Re: Brake options

Post by TheCraig »

Hi,

I'm doing a swap that will have similar power (Blacktop 20v) my plan for the brakes is to get '1b carriers cos mine is an a, recon all the calipers and fit braided hoses. Then I will play around with pad / disc combinations as I change them until I find what I'm happiest with.

I've heard plenty of people say that provided they're in condition the standard brakes are fine unless you're going 1.5/6.

Seems to me if people don't have a problems at that power in heavier SCs I should be fine.

Craig
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Quite a few people have swapped their discs for Celica discs. They just need a hole to be drilled to match the pcd on the existing mr2 hubs.

I cant remember what model celica people have used the brakes off of, but im sure someone will comment on it.
TheCraig

Post by TheCraig »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Quite a few people have swapped their discs for Celica discs. They just need a hole to be drilled to match the pcd on the existing mr2 hubs.

I cant remember what model celica people have used the brakes off of, but im sure someone will comment on it.

Yeah but doesn't that require changing calipers aswell?

I looked at going for an ST185 front / mk2 turbo rear setup but decide the cost of four refurbed calipes, custom rear carriers and possibly new wheels was too much.
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

tbh the standard brakes overhauled with decent discs, pads, hoses and fluid would be fine with even silly power the car doesnt suddenly weigh any more after all. and its not like your going to be stopping from xxx speeds time after time on the track. the standard brakes lock up easy enough at the front so i cant see why you would need much larger brakes.
bburn13

Post by bburn13 »

If you want to keep standard disks and calipers.
Try EBC pads.
Yellow stuff pads are great on track
Not cheap, but worth every penny.
If only for road use, EBC have the cheaper green & red stuff.
my 1.5 has Yellow stuff pads
my SC has green stuff
Both on standard discs and calipers
Brakes are great

Dave
89 SC - Beauty.
89 Track n/ail - The Red Dwarf
84 Blue 1.5 Tin Top Rummy, 54 RX8 -Rex
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

stock brakes,even when working 100%,fade too quickly under hard braking conditions,they simply arent dealing with the heat produced quickly enough.This is not really noticeable on the road but on track you can feel how inadequate they are.

We discovered the celica upgrade many years ago,its a very simple bolt on affair,there are no holes to drill in anything,just use your mk1b disc,unbolt your old mk1 caliper and bolt on the twin pot celica caliper,its as simple as that,hell it even looks the same as the stock caliper from the outside keeping the purists happy and will fit under stock wheels.

The difference in brake fade is amazing,braking is much improved and its well worth the effort for not a lot of money.

You can also upgrade your master cylinder to a mk2 turbo one,they are 15/16ths bore compared to the mk1 7/8ths bore and again its a straight fitment onto a mk1b,on a 1a you will need to fit a 1b servo to do this mod.

Add braided lines and change the fluid ,fit mintex pads,we find green stuff too hard for the road,and thats pretty much all you need to do to get them sorted.
TheCraig

Post by TheCraig »

Paul, do you mean ST185 calipers? I thought I'd read somewhere that there where clearance problems with some 15 inch wheels.
Tom G

Post by Tom G »

crazybrightman wrote:tbh the standard brakes overhauled with decent discs, pads, hoses and fluid would be fine with even silly power the car doesnt suddenly weigh any more after all. and its not like your going to be stopping from xxx speeds time after time on the track. the standard brakes lock up easy enough at the front so i cant see why you would need much larger brakes.

completely agree, putting on bigger front discs/calipers off a celica does reduce fade but messes up your bias, making it very easy to lock up the fronts, especially in the wet... I would say dangerously so.... and upgrading the rears doesn't compensate

stock brakes are plenty good enough to lock the wheels up, and with good pads and braided hoses then they won't fade

PS I have a mk1 master cylinder and good mk1b front calipers if anyone is interested....
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

late AE92, ae111and AE101 front calipers are also upgrades, you can use the same discs too. either twin pot or massive single pot.

but this will upset the bias.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

I have 4 pot Hispec calipers with 285mm disks on the front of my MK1. The balance feels fine and it never locked up in the wet, I do make sure the rears are in tip top condition. You just don't need to stand on the brakes to stop the car. :lol:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

yes the st165 or 185 brakes work,ive never had a problem with wheel fitment.

completely agree, putting on bigger front discs/calipers off a celica does reduce fade but messes up your bias, making it very easy to lock up the fronts, especially in the wet... I would say dangerously so.... and upgrading the rears doesn't compensate

im sorry,i dont mean to argue but this statement is not true,i had huge st205 4 pot calipers and 300mm discs on my last mk1 and it didnt upset the bias at all and it didnt lock up easier.If anything id just made the car stop very very quickly,almost an ABS feel.

Reason being you are moving the same amount of fluid but to more pistons,this results in an overall better braking with less fade at the expense of slightly more pedal travel.

If its a concern then gut the bias valve to make it a 50/50 bias instead of 55/45,but its honestly not needed.

Also under heavy braking the weight transfer is thrown forward onto the front wheels,so ideally you want more stopping power up front anyway.

The celica upgrades tick all the boxes while keeping it toyota.
System-G

Post by System-G »

PW@Woodsport wrote:stock brakes,even when working 100%,fade too quickly under hard braking conditions,they simply arent dealing with the heat produced quickly enough.This is not really noticeable on the road but on track you can feel how inadequate they are.

Sorry Paul, dissagree 100% with you here.

I challenge you to take out my track car with 1a callipers and 1a sized discs and try get them to fade or loose braking performance - any circuit any length of time :thumleft:

No better yet - stick a 3sgte in my 1a and don't touch the brakes, I garantee it will stop on a penny :wink:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

sorry G we will have to agree to disagree on this one matey as its a well known fact mk1 brakes fade on track after a few laps of hard use,this has been proven many many times,and to say they will never fade with a 3s-gte fitted under any length of time driven is a mind boggling statement coming from someone as knowledgeable as yourself,even more so with 1a brakes! Even under hard road use you can feel them start to fade.

You're winding me up right?
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

PW@Woodsport wrote:sorry G we will have to agree to disagree on this one matey as its a well known fact mk1 brakes fade on track after a few laps of hard use,this has been proven many many times,and to say they will never fade with a 3s-gte fitted under any length of time driven is a mind boggling statement coming from someone as knowledgeable as yourself,even more so with 1a brakes! Even under hard road use you can feel them start to fade.

You're winding me up right?

I agree and disagree paul!

Coming from racing and track days, and having destroyed fast road pads in a day, boiling brake fluid, setting red stuff pads on fire after 12 laps 8-[ I thought the stock brakes were poo!

But then I discovered carbotech pads, granted they are very expensive (in fact you can get a st165/st185 set up for the same price and change) but I think they will out perform the upgraded calipers.

On my new track car, i'm upgrading the fronts to the late spec AE92 caliper which uses the same disc/pads as the mk1, but a MUCH bigger piston, the same calipers are also in the AE101 levins, and the AE111 have a twin piston design of the same. Its a well known upgrade in the US, i'm also using the carbotech pads :twisted:
System-G

Post by System-G »

Not winding you up at all Paul.

In the last 4 years and close to 15000 track miles - I have done a lot of "testing" with various pad and disc combinations on various powered MK1's and advised and have witness the stopping power of a 1.5 on a standard 1b setup with braided hoses, 5.1 fluid and decent pads (Yellows, Carbotech etc...).

If you really feel the need to do so, then be it your choice (and each to their own etc...), but if you're going to be doing the fronts, you really need to do the rears to suit too.

If upgrading to a larger callipers, you should also be looking at a larger more efficient master cylinder too. Possibly even a twin master cylinder setup with bias control.

Agreed, the brakes could be made to better on any production vehicle, but it's not always necessary.

I have also driven MK1's with brake conversions (Hispec & ST185) and whilst I was fairly impressed with the Hispec set-up, I wasn't impressed at all with the ST185's.

Again, you're honestly welcome to any Bookatrack day I am working at to take either my 1a or the SC out (on a bend it mend it scheme of course :wink: ) and try generate some fade :thumleft:
I'm not having a go or a dig, just pointing out that big brake conversions are not the bee all and end all of good braking with these cars :thumleft:
Tom G

Post by Tom G »

PW@Woodsport wrote:yes the st165 or 185 brakes work,ive never had a problem with wheel fitment.

im sorry,i dont mean to argue but this statement is not true,i had huge st205 4 pot calipers and 300mm discs on my last mk1 and it didnt upset the bias at all and it didnt lock up easier.If anything id just made the car stop very very quickly,almost an ABS feel.

Reason being you are moving the same amount of fluid but to more pistons,this results in an overall better braking with less fade at the expense of slightly more pedal travel.

If its a concern then gut the bias valve to make it a 50/50 bias instead of 55/45,but its honestly not needed.

Also under heavy braking the weight transfer is thrown forward onto the front wheels,so ideally you want more stopping power up front anyway.

The celica upgrades tick all the boxes while keeping it toyota.

having bigger pistons at the front just means a softer pedal and more front bias. That's why you try to counteract that with a bigger master cylinder. a car with up-scaled front/rear pistons and master cylinder would feel similar to having smaller pistons/cylinder all round... you're just moving more fluid. increasing the size of just the front pistons makes the pedal softer (more fluid to move) and shifts bias to the front (more front piston force compared to rear).

brake bias is product of front/rear brake line pressure (governed by bias valve) and front/rear caliper piston area (bigger the piston, more pressure), and disc size (more leverage) and pad size (more friction, not taken into account below).

the stock bias from differing piston area is 66/34, add the bias valve and it's 73/27
Add st165 or st185 front brakes and it changes to 79/21
gut the valve and it's back to 73/27
with st205 front brakes and tubby rears: about 85/15!! :shock:

a guideline optimum bias for a 50/50 weighted car is 67/33 (Ideal brake bias balance is actually a function of load transfer under braking... but consider the MR2 has more rearward weight (40/60ish) and weight transfer is under braking 10-20%, optimum bias might be 55/45)

PS
I only looked into all this stuff after fitting ST165 fronts and being mighty dissapointed... no fade problems, but crap bias, fade can be solved with the right pads!)
System-G

Post by System-G »

Tom, out of interest, where did you get the bias stats?
Tom G

Post by Tom G »

worked it out from piston sizes,
e.g. mk1 front has 51.1mm diameter = area of 2051mm2
mk1 rear has diameter 36.4mm = area of 1041mm2
front bias due to piston sizes = Af / (Af + Ar) = 2051/3092 = 66%

st165 area = 2864mm2
st205 area = 5128mm2
sw20 rear = 1439mm2

need to take 16% bigger disc into account for st205 upgrade too
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

i thought you had to drill an additional hole to match the PCD of the mr2 hub studs?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”