[Mk2] [Turbo] Water leak (FOUND IT)

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BLZ-8027

[Mk2] [Turbo] Water leak (FOUND IT)

Post by BLZ-8027 »

There seems to be a few of us with water leaks lately ,mine leaks as soon as it gets hot and ive been trying to find the source,Water is leaking above the aircon and dripping on to the sump lip,

The car had a new water pump before i bought it but this hasn't cured it ,all core plugs seem fine and no leaky hoses,Checked the pipes from hell and they seem dry, so decided to strip out the cat and replace with a decat pipe at the same time,Pig of a job that is ,if you want to save weight bin the cat

I thought it might be the hose from hell but thats dry as well the core plug behind that looks weak but not bad enough

Ive got it all stripped out and the only signs of any leaks are a rusty patch behind the water pump

The exhaust manifold and turbo are coming off tomorrow so i can get a better look around, and hope its not a cracked block as has been mentioned
(is there a write up on removing the turbo anywhere?)

Took a few picture to get a better look but no joy so any ideas????

Last edited by BLZ-8027 on Sat May 31, 2008 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLZ-8027

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Water leak

Post by BLZ-8027 »

BLZ-8027 wrote:There seems to be a few of us with water leaks lately ,mine leaks as soon as it gets hot and ive been trying to find the source,Water is leaking above the aircon and dripping on to the sump lip,

The car had a new water pump before i bought it but this hasn't cured it ,all core plugs seem fine and no leaky hoses,Checked the pipes from hell and they seem dry, so decided to strip out the cat and replace with a decat pipe at the same time,Pig of a job that is ,if you want to save weight bin the cat

I thought it might be the hose from hell but thats dry as well the core plug behind that looks weak but not bad enough

Ive got it all stripped out and the only signs of any leaks are a rusty patch behind the water pump

The exhaust manifold and turbo are coming off tomorrow so i can get a better look around, and hope its not a cracked block as has been mentioned
(is there a write up on removing the turbo anywhere?)

Took a few picture to get a better look but no joy so any ideas????

Got the manifold and turbo off today to get a better look,and the only signs of a leak are from behind the pump,is there a core plug behind here??
any other ideas anyone??
twice

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Water leak (FOUND IT)

Post by twice »

hi i had one in similar place it turned out to be the hose you can only just see if you look behind and down the oil filter you can just see it with 2 jubilee clips but is this the heater pipes from hell i dunno
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

twice wrote:hi i had one in similar place it turned out to be the hose you can only just see if you look behind and down the oil filter you can just see it with 2 jubilee clips but is this the heater pipes from hell i dunno

Apparently thats referred to as the Hose from hell ,The heater pipes from hell are above the petrol tank believe me ive had them all to bits this weekend ,stripped it all out couldn't find anything out of place,decided to put it all back together and take it to rogue,filled it with water and presto ,didn't even start the car

time to drop the engine i think? :-k (at least i de-catted it at the same time)
MR2_RICH

Post by MR2_RICH »

Hi mate

I can't view all your pictures for some reason, however I think you do need to remove the engine and have a good look around if you have looked at everything.

Maybe a cracked block or head?

While your at it the hose from hell is only £5 from toyota iirc from a thread on here and I'd also think about replacing any suspect core plugs.

Good luck and keep us posted. :thumleft:
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

you've probably already found my thread on this but i have exactly the same symptoms.
Water leaking down from behind the water pump and dripping off the sump.

The strange thing is that mine has now stopped leaking (and no it's not because it's run out of coolant :oldtongue: )

Anyway, sorry to be no use whatsoever but I'll be checking this thread for progress as well as it's likely to be the same issue as my car.
I'm planning to drop the engine out at some point but haven't got round to it yet :(

Wingers
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Wingers wrote:you've probably already found my thread on this but i have exactly the same symptoms.
Water leaking down from behind the water pump and dripping off the sump.

The strange thing is that mine has now stopped leaking (and no it's not because it's run out of coolant :oldtongue: )

Anyway, sorry to be no use whatsoever but I'll be checking this thread for progress as well as it's likely to be the same issue as my car.
I'm planning to drop the engine out at some point but haven't got round to it yet :(

Wingers

I have read your thread mate yes ,and i thought mine had somehow stopped leaking as well, water was showing on dipstick and was visible in the filler neck
Stripped out the turbo and manifold and aircon on Saturday ,couldn't find anything
put it all back together again Sunday ,filled with antifreeze and it poured out ,so be careful if your using the car it might be empty?

Tried to strip out the cambelt to remove the water pump and replace the O ring today, but gave up couldn't get to it enough ,so the engines coming out next and ill clean up the engine bay,change the cam cover gasket, fit new rear antiroll bar bushes and lowering springs whilst im at it to make it worthwhile :whistle:
ill keep an eye on your thread as well mate good luck and keep me posted if you sort it before me
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

lol - the race is on!

I've been topping mine up regularly and now it's stopped taking any more fluid so it's def not empty.
I wouldn't call it fixed but the problem seems to have gone away - temporarilly.

Wingers
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

I seem to have a very similar leak. So far I've had the water pump replaced, plus the two 'hoses from hell' on the oil cooler. I can see it dripping from the sump lip but no idea where it's coming from. ](*,)
SySanguinary
IMOC Committee

Post by SySanguinary »

Me too... Just in the middle of having a friend change the cam belt and water pump...
I was in the middle of trying to diagnose the problem when the cam belt snapped..
The bearings on the water pump are knackered so at least that's one job out of the way. The car should be running in the next day or so, so I'll keep you posted as to the whereabouts of my leak. I do suspect it's coming from near the oil filter though... ](*,)
SySanguinary
IMOC Committee

Post by SySanguinary »

Just a thought. Is there anyone with a similar leak who hasn't got a Rev 2?
.::joe::.

Post by .::joe::. »

mine has a drip from the middle of the car i believe its coming from above the fuel tank and its doing my head in :(
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

SySanguinary wrote:Just a thought. Is there anyone with a similar leak who hasn't got a Rev 2?

I have exactly this problem (dripping off sump) on a rev1 engine.
Though i guess that's basically the same as a rev 2.

Wingers
SySanguinary
IMOC Committee

Post by SySanguinary »

Right guys, mine appears to have been fixed.

My cambelt went a few weeks ago so whilst that was being sorted my mate changed the water pump. Once the pump was finally off it turns out the bearings were on the way out so this could have been the leaking point.

However just to complicate things I changed the crappy clip on the water pipe above the air con compressor for a decent jubilee clip so I could really clamp the pipe down.

Since the car has been on the road I've travelled over 700 miles adding just a cap full or so of coolant between trips. I assume this was just air pockets in the system as now it is remaining full.

HTH. :thumleft:
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Mine has been diagnosed with a dodgy head gasket which is letting combustion gas into the coolant. I'm getting it replaced with a steel gasket next week.

I'm still not sure if that explains the coolant dripping off the sump, but hopefully while the engine is apart any other leaks should be spotted.
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Well i think this might need moving to the projects section soon :whistle: :whistle:
engines out and in the garage ready to strip so if anyone wants to come round and do the water pump feel free??

Down but not out

Nearly there (nows a good time to remember why the grill needs cutting off?)

Now it is

Time for a clean up

BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Think ive gone over the top with the "lets clean the engine whilst its out"
didn't know there was so many little bits and bobs ,
Now where does this bit go ???
dervbas

Post by dervbas »

.::joe::. wrote:mine has a drip from the middle of the car i believe its coming from above the fuel tank and its doing my head in :(

That will be your heater pipes "from hell" mate. Same as where my water leak is coming from, but since isolating the heater pipes and just not having any heat in the cabin I'm still overheating, with the radiator cap whistling like a kettle and steam rising, even though the water temp gauge is only halfway?!

Wish I could do all that BLZ-8027, but I think I'll just have to give Peter Gidden a ring.
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

dervbas wrote:
Wish I could do all that BLZ-8027, but I think I'll just have to give Peter Gidden a ring.

Ive got to put it all back together yet ,does Peter do call outs :whistle:
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Finally found the dreaded leak. and thank god it wasn't he block that had cracked
Turned out to be a core plug behind the thermostat housing ,and what a job it is to get at ,the others didn't look too healthy so Decided to change all four as im not going through this hassle again in a hurry

Cant finish the job though as my local shop only had two plugs and didn't have the larger one anyway,And i haven't got a socket large enough for the oil cooler
so a trip to Toyota next week,

But im happy as larry because i nearly bought another engine this morning \:D/

Return to “Mechanical”