Any good?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Stock Revision 1 Suspension

Pretty decent
No votes
Upgrade!!!
100%

Total votes: 5

craig

Any good?

Post by craig »

Can anyone tell me if revision 1 suspension is any good? Or whether it would be better upgrading?

Cheers :wink:

Craig
stevenb

Re: Any good?

Post by stevenb »

I have never owned a rev1 but any upgrade on any car is worth doing I'd say. Particularly if the car has other modifications too. The extra strain on components on a car that is tweaked to go faster, stop quicker and handle better would mean that upgrade to performance parts would achieve better results than standard.
Just my 2p.
Go for an upgrade. :wink:
Jon S

Post by Jon S »

Mine's a bit creaky.

Considering a Rev1 is at least 13 years old, it can't be that bad. However, I suspect you're talking about performance rather than longevity :)

If that's the case I haven't really got a clue. But an upgrade is probably a good idea because if stuff needs replacing due to age, you might as well replace with performance parts.

Just my thoughts :D
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

Jon S wrote:Mine's a bit creaky.

Considering a Rev1 is at least 13 years old, it can't be that bad. However, I suspect you're talking about performance rather than longevity :)

If that's the case I haven't really got a clue. But an upgrade is probably a good idea because if stuff needs replacing due to age, you might as well replace with performance parts.

Just my thoughts :D

yep....agree with that...also gives you a chance to get the bushes checked too... :wink:. you'd really notice the difference then.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

The springs and dampers are going to be getting pretty tired on a 15 year old car tbh.

Konis and aftermarket springs would be the most sensible option.

what are you running on your car at the moment? Does it have the stock NA dampers with lowered springs?
craig

Post by craig »

Lauren wrote:The springs and dampers are going to be getting pretty tired on a 15 year old car tbh.

what are you running on your car at the moment? Does it have the stock NA dampers with lowered springs?

The revision 1 cars had the same suspension across all models so in effect, stock turbo suspension with lowered 40mm springs :wink:

How much also for the Konis?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

RedMR² wrote:
Lauren wrote:The springs and dampers are going to be getting pretty tired on a 15 year old car tbh.

The revision 1 cars had the same suspension across all models so in effect, stock turbo suspension with lowered 40mm springs :wink:

Ok go and buy some koni adj dampers. Sorted.
craig

Post by craig »

You posted as I was editing my reply :D

How much for a set of Koni dampers? :mrgreen:
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Ask Dan at DCdezign.co.uk ... he does them for a very good price.
craig

Post by craig »

MegatronUK wrote:Ask Dan at DCdezign.co.uk ... he does them for a very good price.

Cheers dude, £400........not bad :wink:
tallbruv

shocks

Post by tallbruv »

Are after market shocks heavier? :?
Dave Couzens

Post by Dave Couzens »

RedMR² wrote:

How much also for the Konis?

I always thought that turbo models had stiffer suspension over the n/a and i would have thought the the fe setup would have been softer again :?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: shocks

Post by Lauren »

tallbruv wrote:Are after market shocks heavier? :?

Well inserts will be if the original damper was contained in the strut. But take off a strut complete with hub, caliper and lower arm. There is a hell of a lot of weight there, you'd struggle to lift it tbh (I can barely lift it). Plus you have to add the wheel to that.

So i'd guess that putting an insert in would add a couple of hundred grams at most. Unsprung weight is going to be (complete guess) 40odd Kg per corner!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Turbo models had uprated suspension from Revision 2 onwards. Revision 1 cars that I've driven on stock shocks and springs have seemed a bit wallowy, but don't forget that there were changes to the suspension geometry on later cars as well...

Rogue
axisofunity

Post by axisofunity »

I love my Rev 1 suspension :)

But I did recently replace them as 16 or so years of driving on them had taken the a toll :)
craig

Post by craig »

Rogue wrote:Turbo models had uprated suspension from Revision 2 onwards. Revision 1 cars that I've driven on stock shocks and springs have seemed a bit wallowy, but don't forget that there were changes to the suspension geometry on later cars as well...

Rogue

Hi Patrick, could you PM me with a price for rev 3 turbo billsteins?

Cheers!

Craig :wink:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”