[Mk2] [NA] Continued search for MR2

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jonnie

[Mk2] [NA] Continued search for MR2

Post by jonnie »

Hey again everybody,

I've been continuing my search for an MR2 and have weighed the following up to be my best options:

"1993 rev2 N/A MOT until Aug 08 Tax until Jan 09.

124,000 miles.
Full leather interior,
Tbar roof,
Japspeed exhaust,
17" wheels,
Momo wheel.
Fully resprayed last year and is in immaculate condition.
Raybrig headlights
Cam belt done september last year.
4 new tyres."

This car has been owned by its current owner for the past four years. There is four years worth of MOT passes for service history, and the seller is a member of MR2OC.co.uk. I've read a few of his posts and he seems like he has looked after his car and after the last MOT test he posted a topic stating that the car passed first time and that the only recommendations were that the handbrake pulls up too high. I can get to the car in about two and a half hours, and he is willing to take £1,800 for the car. Comes with leather seats and non-standard alloy wheels.

"Rev 3, N-reg, UK-Car, T Bar, Manual, 101,000 miles, Green (pearlescent) Full black leather interior.

New clutch fitted June '07. New front tyres fitted. New handbrake cables & all brakes front & rear replaced. New calipers fitted to the rear brakes. Car fully serviced recently.

10 Months MOT & tax.

PAS, ABS, factory fitted alarm/immobiliser & central locking, 16 inch original turbo alloy wheels, service history, fog lights, full electric mirrors & windows, very good condition. I also have the original covers for T Bar glass roof, Sony MP3 player.

Amazing car drives beautifully, real stunner, No time wasters please."

This car is slightly further away, but takes about the same amount of time to drive to due to motorways. The car has full service history and 101,000 miles on the clock. The car is also a Rev3 model (so a little newer than the first car I showed you), and the seller has been made an offer of £1,800 by somebody else, and the asking price is £2,095. Has leather seats, one with a little rip on it on the side, and comes with standard alloys. Also has a non-standard Sony head unit fitted.

"Make: Toyota
Model: Mr2
Variant: Gt Sports 2dr
Year: 1993
Colour: Red
Fueltype: N/A
Bodytype: N/A
Transmission: N/A
Mileage: 120000
Price: £ 1994
Description:
Toyota Mr2 Gt Sports, 2 Doors, Manual, Coupe, Petrol, 1993 K Reg , 120,000 Miles, Red. Air-conditioning, Alloys, Body Coloured Bumpers, Central Door Locking, Front Fog Lights, Immobilizer, In Car Entertainment, Power-assisted Steering, Superb Condition Inside And Out. All Usual Dealer Facilities £1,994 "

This car has 5,000 less miles than the first one, and is being sold from a car dealership. It costs £1,994, but I am unsure of the availability of service history, I still need to contact the seller. It is just a little further than the second car I showed you. This car may have a warranty from the dealer, however. Does not have leather seats and comes with standard alloys.

"Manual, 94,385 miles, 2 Doors, Manual, Coupe, Petrol, 95,000 miles, RED.Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, New 17" Ferrari Enzo Alloy wheels, Anti theft system, CD, Central locking, Electric windows, Lots of Documented Service History.Within the last year new Clutch, Starter, alternator and Brakes fitted. Insurance Group:15, Body work is faded but car runs superb, an excellent little runner for summer and will not take much more than time and effort to make it look good, unfortunately moving house and Job forces a quick sale. £1,800 all sensible offers will be considered. Viewing is only available at weekends due to work commitments. £1,800. ONO"

This car is only 9 miles away from me, and has 95,000 miles on the clock. It lots of service history and is advertised for £1,800, although it is a Revision 1 model. Non-standard alloys (although not as nice as the first car's alloys) and non-leather seats.

I was originally set on the first car because it is in Scotland, although I'm a little worried about its mileage. It does however look in excellent condition exterior and interior-wise. I could probably get the 4th car for the cheapest price and it's closest, but it is only a Revision 1.

The second car does not look AS good as the first, but it has lower miles and more documented Toyota service history. It also has a slightly longer MOT. It's been advertised for 50 days which makes me unsure about why it hasn't sold though.

What does everybody think?
Thanks for any advice or opinions.
crazygary

mr2

Post by crazygary »

Buy a turbo, you know you want one!
jonnie

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Continued search for MR2

Post by jonnie »

Haha I'd love to, can't afford the insurance though!
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Go for test drives in them all... it's the only way you'll be sure. The one rev3 should be initial favourite from the reliability view, newest but 2nd lowest miles but not sure about the colour, or the way it would drive compared to my rev1 (which I love).
Monaco

Post by Monaco »

If it was me I couldn't bring myself to buy an MR2 that wasn't a T-Bar.

So that narrows it down to the first two.

I wouldn't make a judgement call between them without having seen both in the flesh.

Any car of this age is going to have a good share of bumps, scrapes, rust etc etc. that will make the difference between a value for money minter and an overpriced dog. You're not going to be able to tell which category these two fall into without seeing them in the flesh.

Go and see them both, and then make your decision.
jonnie

Post by jonnie »

rob shipp wrote:Go for test drives in them all... it's the only way you'll be sure. The one rev3 should be initial favourite from the reliability view, newest but 2nd lowest miles but not sure about the colour, or the way it would drive compared to my rev1 (which I love).

Why is it that the Rev3's more reliable?

What are the differences between the different revisions?

Cheers.
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

I looked at some dogs when I was looking for mine a few months ago but finally managed to find a decent one (fingers crossed). Be wary of a respray though, mines been done and looks stunning, but its flaked off in a few small places at the bottom of the doors.

I paid £2200 for mine and its a 94 REV3 leather T-Bar with 90,000 on the clock. Just keep looking until you fall for one.

And good luck.
Owen @ Kent Car Craft

Post by Owen @ Kent Car Craft »

you have PM Jonnie :D
ferrit

Post by ferrit »

None, none of them are black! :oldtongue:
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

jonnie wrote:Haha I'd love to, can't afford the insurance though!

Don't be rediculous, its perfectly affordable!!

All you have to do is:

-Get a job where you can walk to work

-Only make friends with people who can either pick you up or are within walking distance

-Stop eating

-Drink water only (tap)

-Go to your mums for tea every day (parents must move to within walking distance of your house)

Simple! :D
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Hey Jonnie.
Rev3 s aren't more reliable per se but are that bit younger. There are 5 revisions with subtle changes between each. Rev 1s have smaller brakes (tho you can put the later brakes on if you have 15 +" wheels), rev2s and on have a deeper front splitter and rev3s and on have colour coded sills, splitter, spats and side stripes plus round rear lights and a different, one piece spoiler. The engine also changed between revs 2&3 and the rear subframe was also altered. That said which you prefer is a matter of taste. I love my rev1.... no pas, no abs, no a/c.
As I said originally go see the ones you like and take each for a drive, the proof of the pudding lies there.
Good luck and let us know.

R.
C50

Post by C50 »

haha.. good tips lou :thumleft:

those aren't ferrari enzo rims.. :-s (maybe look alikes) Get a rev 3 :thumleft:
ferrit

Post by ferrit »

Lou-Lou wrote:
jonnie wrote:Haha I'd love to, can't afford the insurance though!

Don't be rediculous, its perfectly affordable!!

All you have to do is:

-Get a job where you can walk to work

-Only make friends with people who can either pick you up or are within walking distance

-Stop eating

-Drink water only (tap)

-Go to your mums for tea every day (parents must move to within walking distance of your house)

Simple! :D

All acceptable sacrifices if you ask me :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”