[Mk2] [Turbo] CAN WE BEAT EVO & IMPREZAS??

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MrRev

[Mk2] [Turbo] CAN WE BEAT EVO & IMPREZAS??

Post by MrRev »

FOR ALL YOU TURBOS OUT THERE I WANT TO HEAR ANY STORYS OF BEATING THE MEAN CARS!! I WANT MY MR2 3 TURN IN2 MEAN MACHINE AND THAT MEANS BEATING THESE BOYS! CAN IT BE DONE??
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] CAN WE BEAT EVO & IMPREZAS??

Post by Martin F »

eeeerrrr...!

start a debate, why dont you.... :lol: :lol:

im running around 320 bhp and will beat a similar powered evo...most scoobies are easy prey but i think(maybe wrong) that there power is limited to around 300bhp before the expensive mods come to light...and that's when many stop tuning...

like for like then a 240 mr2 may just nudge a 280 sub but the evo is a tad quicker....if your running 500bhp then you will kill all apart from the norris designs evo and the likes....

its complicated and all im doing is adding the fuel... :lol:

let the debate begin...

Again... :mrgreen:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

MrRev wrote:FOR ALL YOU TURBOS OUT THERE I WANT TO HEAR ANY STORYS OF BEATING THE MEAN CARS!! I WANT MY MR2 3 TURN IN2 MEAN MACHINE AND THAT MEANS BEATING THESE BOYS! CAN IT BE DONE??

and for good killin' power i hope you have a spare 10k.....but then if you spent that 10k on an evo or scoob.... :-k :-k

you can spend a grand though and easily beat a standard scoob/evo.... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JAP BOY

Post by JAP BOY »

OOOOOOOOOKKKK i can sense the debate begining im now heading for the hills!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whistle:
MrRev

Post by MrRev »

WELL WE ALL KNOW THAT THE MORE MONEY THAT YOU PUT IN THE MORE POWER YOOU WILL GET, BUT PEOPLE ARE RUNNING ABOUT IN STANDARD EVO'S & IMPREZA'S AND i WANT TO BEAT THEM WITHOUT DOING VERY LITTLE ARE OUR MR2'S UP FOR IT??
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

JAP BOY wrote:OOOOOOOOOKKKK i can sense the debate begining im now heading for the hills!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whistle:

lol...its been done so many times before....im headin' for them same hills, lol :thumleft:

hope there's loads off birds and much booze my friend... \:D/
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

MrRev wrote:WELL WE ALL KNOW THAT THE MORE MONEY THAT YOU PUT IN THE MORE POWER YOOU WILL GET, BUT PEOPLE ARE RUNNING ABOUT IN STANDARD EVO'S & IMPREZA'S AND i WANT TO BEAT THEM WITHOUT DOING VERY LITTLE ARE OUR MR2'S UP FOR IT??

go and take your caps lock off mate... :pray:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

MrRev wrote:WELL WE ALL KNOW THAT THE MORE MONEY THAT YOU PUT IN THE MORE POWER YOOU WILL GET, BUT PEOPLE ARE RUNNING ABOUT IN STANDARD EVO'S & IMPREZA'S AND i WANT TO BEAT THEM WITHOUT DOING VERY LITTLE ARE OUR MR2'S UP FOR IT??

if you have a rev 3 then up your boost...will do just what your asking :wink:
C50

Post by C50 »

I think we mr2 peeps have a disadvantage around bends..
STU13 B

Post by STU13 B »

All depends on how u drive. Have i have seen off a scooby type ra, and evo 8 fq300 round the twisteys. All depends on how far u are prepared 2 push it! 8)
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

STU13 B wrote:All depends on how u drive. Have i have seen off a scooby type ra, and evo 8 fq300 round the twisteys. All depends on how far u are prepared 2 push it! 8)

Can become very embarrassing when you nip across the field though :wink:
EX Caribbean Blue 10th Anniversary 1996 T-bar
EX Black 1995 mk2 GT Turbo
NOW Audi TT V6 3.2 DSG 2004 Coupe
SWMark

Post by SWMark »

Being that there over 15 types of both cars, which model are you talking about?
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

Scooby owner here........ You boys dont stand a chance [-X
SWMark

Post by SWMark »

I hope thats in jest sonny =; , there are a few videos around of me p1$$ing(and i mean pi$$ing) on WRXs at pod in my.......................... Maestro :lol: :lol: And the odd Evo 8 and 9 as well. All scoobies except STi models are slow for the power out the box. Easy kill for most cars are Suburus(other than STis).
rev3kid

Post by rev3kid »

Spittinflames wrote:Scooby owner here........ You boys dont stand a chance [-X

out of interest witch subaru do you have?? i had a race with my mate in his wrx sti type uk with the prodrive pack on so it was running 305bhp with print out and i left him :whistle: he sold it a week later :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Plus Scoobies and Evos have 4wd and stick to the road like glue. If your planning on racing one make sure theres lots of straights :mrgreen:
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

Your all a bunch of straight line junkies :lol:

I've had an mr2, i've had an evo and now have a scoobie. There all good cars in there own right.

How some of you can compare an evo/scooby against an mr2 i dont know. There completley different cars, RWD vs AWD, Mid engine vs Front engine, Family saloon vs 1 man and his friend.

Does it really matter which is quicker, Not really...... i'm sure that there are plenty of scoobys out there that will kill evos, evos that will kill mr2's, mr2's that will kill scoobs. Does it really matter.

If moneys no object then i'm sure i could get a mini that will waste your 300bhp mr2.

Oh and yes i was only baiting you with that first comment :D Enjoy the car you drive :thumleft:

Just to add, When i was at TOTB in 07 ( i think it was 07 may of been 06) i didnt see many mr2's doing that well to be fair... I've got pleny of vids on you tube of that day.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Ok, this is what i have come to understand....

the Mr2 rev2 was the fastest production car in japan..

Then Subaru made the STi WRX Type Japan which was faster..

Then Toyota retaliated by making the Rev3,4,5 -more power,better setup, regained the title of 'Fastest car in japan'

Then Subaru made the 2.5L Type japan which is slightly quicker
Then Mitsu made an Evo (dont know which model, FQ's i think) which was faster than the subaru..

Then Toyota gave up and made the hairdressers Mk3 (no offence)

So, The Rev3,4,5 is the 3rd fastest production car in japan -meaning the only model of impreza thats faster is the 2.5L Type-Japan and the mitsu Evo FQ's

Cars like Skylines(all models),Fairladys, GTO's etc, even tho some having much larger displcement, all was slower than the mr2 due to bulky weight,poor gearing and massive transmission losses.. Also Japan laws on speed restriction making all cars 112mph -means there was no 'top end Fastest'

Imo i think a mr2 will alwayse be faster than a subaru.. Why? Well when tuning for moderate amounts of power, the subaru bottom end will die before 400bhp (from what i come to understand) where as the 3s-gte has forged crank, super tough rods etc, it will see a good 500bhp before getting risky!

To get a 10second mr2 , you will be looking at around £15k-£20k of work.. less if you do lots of work yourself.. But it seems with subaru's, evos, skylines etc etc to get 10's your looking more in the £50k + !!

i put this extra cost down to complex and more overall quantity of parts.
Dangerous

Post by Dangerous »

My brother had an sti 7 which was tuned by roger clarke to aproxx 330 bhp with stock suspension.. and at the time I was running about 360ish in the mr2 with cusco coilovers....

on the straights he had no chance I would pull away easily (i did have more power!!)

On the twistys between stratford and worcester well..... he was in front and it was damn hard work trying to keep up, the point and squirt nature of the 4x4 sti was amazing a total weapon around the lanes and too easy to drive fast!! I much prefer a challege !!!Thats why my Mr'2 gonna be an ANIMAL!!

Thiers so many variables that you cant say my mr2's faster than a scoobie or evo or vice versa
TUBBY-DEUCE

Post by TUBBY-DEUCE »

youve also got to think that evos and scoobies have many different models and engine packages, the mr2 was the same from rev3+, what if toyota had had a tinker and made an equivelent to the fq or sti series to keep up with the band wagon, like an mr2 gt-s type R for example

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”