A 'how much is it worth thread' - Rev 3 Turbo Track car

MR2s for sale - all versions & variants

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

skinthespin

A 'how much is it worth thread' - Rev 3 Turbo Track car

Post by skinthespin »

hey up,

Sorry this is one of those threads but am trying to weigh up my options, I have a rev 3 GTS turbo track car and another 2 cars, so am thinking if its worth my while to sell 2 of them and buy something decent, as I am struggling to afford to run 3 cars, before I can make that decision I need to know how much (or how little!) my MR2 is GENUINELY worth, this is the spec:

Rev 3 GTS Coupe Turbo

Rolling Road power 308bhp

Fully stripped shell

Cobra Monaco seats

3 inch Willans harnessed

Momo steering wheel

Momo gear knob

Turbo technics ct20b

HKS EVC 5

HKS racing suction kit

HKS SSQV dump valve

ST205 chargecooler

XS power downpipe (the new type)

XS power twin exhaust

ST205 WRC 4 pot callipers with 315mm discs

8.5 x 17 inch front and 9.5 x 17 inch wide Volks wheels with 225/35 front tyres and 255/40 rears

Gabsport coilover suspension

Probably some other odds and sods to reduce weight too.

This is my track car so dont expect something concours, but it does always deliver the goods on track very often being one of the quickest road based cars on track.

Some pics (bear in mind the wheels are now white as I refurbed them)

This is with my old wheels:

And after a polish:

and some road wheels:

Steve-O 2007

Re: A 'how much is it worth thread' - Rev 3 Turbo Track car

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Looks Very nice but I would wait a few months before selling. MR2's seem to be selling for pennies right now unless you get the right buyer :(
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:Looks Very nice but I would wait a few months before selling. MR2's seem to be selling for pennies right now unless you get the right buyer :(

Yep, I was only going to offer you £2500 :lol:

Good luck with the sale.
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

Meant to say also, I have looked after the car pretty well, and as such I have also replaced:

Steering rack with reconditioned one

New radiator

New handbrake cables (all 3)

Rebuilt rear callipers and new GT4 fronts

New rear discs and EBC yellow pads

Just rebuilding dampers at the moment

new rear wheel bearings

New CV joint rubbers

and many other odds and sods, Ive got rafts of receipts from Toyota, just to give an idea of how I have looked after the car.

Cheers guys

PS - is it worth breaking it?
Edwin

Post by Edwin »

I don't see how it would be worth less than an un-stripped version... so probably between 3.5 and 5K? I for one love the concept and how it looks!
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Edwin wrote:I don't see how it would be worth less than an un-stripped version... so probably between 3.5 and 5K? I for one love the concept and how it looks!

But I think you will need the right person interested in it as well with it being stripped out. They look good stripped out but you can see wires and cables etc running places and its more noisy inside which isnt what everyone will like.
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

Its always going to lool a little bare inside!

it is incredibly noisey too, takes most people by suprise, but that sthe price for lightness!

Oh, it has new braided brake pipes too, keep remembering things!
japracing

still for sale

Post by japracing »

Hi

is this car still for sale and if so do you have a figure in mind?

kind regards

richard
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

Hi Richard,

I dont have a figure in mind to be honest, hence the thread, I was just weighing things up as I will probably hardly use the car this year, although I love it to pieces! The car is on axle stands in my garage at the moment as I am having some bits machined for the suspension, so its not even drivable, unfortunately also I am currently sat in a hotel room in Japan, so cant do much about the suspension!

I will be back on saturday so can talk more then if you like?

Cheers

Simon
ilogik

Post by ilogik »

shame your selling up mate, what car you got on the cards next?
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

Not definitely selling up, but if I sell the Saab and the MR2 and buy something interesting that I can actually use and still get some enjoyment out of then great, maybe a supra? Another option would be a mk3 MR2, I could use that everyday to go to work, Nikki would also use that so I would get my Jag back occasionally!!!
japracing

viewing

Post by japracing »

Thanks for the prompt reply, please contact me when you get back as we are only in holmfirth and could arrange to come and see the car and have a chat about it,

where about are you in derbyshire?

kind regards

Richard
japracing

Post by japracing »

Is the car still for sale?

Regards.

Richard.
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

Was going to break this car as I have only used it once since I put this advert up in February but thought I would have one last go at seeing if anyone was interested in it as a whole car.

I have just changed the oil and replaced the front pads with EBC yellowstuff (£90!).

There is a new radiator on the car and its all running fine. I was offered £4.5k for it last February and have replaced a few bits since then, I have stripped and rebuilt the dampers and machined new spring seats that are not corroded so you can actually adjust!

Here are some more recent pics.

Innocent

Post by Innocent »

Are you still considering a Mk3? I've got one, and i'm thinking about getting rid of it for a diesel commuter + Mk2 track car at the moment....

I wonder if you would consider a straight swap..... Have just been toying with ideas recently and was not about to commit to selling just yet, but this could suit us both as selling a car at the moment is not only difficult, but also depressing with the price you have to let things go for.

Cannot see pictures at the moment as i'm at work and have blocks on photo host sites. I'll look at pics later, but i have a feeling this is exactly what i'm looking for.

Where are you? I'm Harlow.
Last edited by Innocent on Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

Hi mate,

I was actually considering an XK8 or a 928 (I know im getting old--lol) but would have a look at your car and see as I am open to things. if you want to mail me some pics that would be good or a link to the pics, my e-mail is:

[email protected]

I know what you mean about letting things go cheap, a quick reckoning suggests i've spent around £12k on this car in cash, let alone the hours and hours ive put into it!

Im in Leicestershire btw LE67 6AF
Andy-Runner

Post by Andy-Runner »

A very sad day if your seriously selling your MR2 mate :(

However to anyone interested in buying Si's car, i have seen it in the flesh on a number of occasions and it really is a missile.

The handling and performance of this motor was a huge influence for me building my track car. Watching Simon pass cars 3x and 4x times the value of his was awe inspiring to say the least on many occasions..... Evo's, Scoobies, GT-R's (.........and me in my MR2 :oops: ) all driven around with ease (and usually a cheeky smile or wave :) .)

A professionally prepared and maintained track car in very good condition, ready for many more years use - and being sold by one of the most experienced/knowledgeable drivers on IMOC (not to mention a genuinely nice bloke!)

The very best of luck with the sale Si, i doubt it will be up for long 8)

Andy
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

Andy, your making me blush--lol

I have had the car so many years its like part of me, its just such a shame it doesn't get used any more, I have come close to getting rid a few times but like I say its part of the family (I know that sounds daft!).
Innocent

Post by Innocent »

So what kind of value are you putting on the car mate? By my reconing my car is worth 5k, registered Sept 2000, 66k, black & red leather, includes factory fit TTE twin exhaust, subtle lip spoiler and 'roll' bar (for looks only) worth £600-750 second hand. Great condition in all respects, garaged its whole life, one scrape and a couple of trolley dinks noticable only when cleaning. Appreciate its no where near £12k but i guess you realise there's no chance of getting that back.

Kind of only gauging interest myself at this stage as I think the wife will take longer to convince than I will. :roll: . Looking for something that i can use in the South East sprint series next year, but should really wait till i get a company car in May. Thats what the wife says anyway. Need to work on her some more. ](*,)

Whats your insurance like? Mines cheap as chips, max no claims, fully comp and commuter usage.
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

Hi mate,

I think realistically my car would be worth a little less than yours, probably £500 or so, if those roll bar things are worth that much and you kept those maybe a straight swap might be an option?

I must stress my car isnt concours and its a track car, I thnk the pics might even make it look good! Like I say however it is effective and if you wanted to do sprints its a bit of a bargain as you will struggle to get something as quick for that much, plus I know exactly what to do to make it quicker still if you wanted to develop the car further.

I have had quite a bit of interest tbh, it would be nice if you could mail me a couple of pics of yours but black with red leather sounds pretty much the best combo to me, so go buy your wife some wine and a box of chocolates!

Return to “MR2s for Sale”