[Mk2] [Generic] will t-bar seals DEFINITELY fix leaks

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Spidey

[Mk2] [Generic] will t-bar seals DEFINITELY fix leaks

Post by Spidey »

I've tried various things to keep rain out and most have worked with varying degrees of success.

So, now I am just fed up with them - is replacing the t-bar rubbers a guaranteed way to stop the leaks ?

If I got them, what do i "stick" them on with ?

TIA
Rob
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] will t-bar seals DEFINITELY fix leaks

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

hey Rob, have you tried the eccentric rod guides?
k-ro

Post by k-ro »

Thing is, the rod guides only work if your rubbers are still in fairly good nick.
I think (in my case anyway), cos the window has no frame around it, during cold weather the window sticks to the rubber and gradually pulls more and more of it away. I reckon the water works along that channel where the glass is and into the corner. (slightly away from the question i know!)

Iv replaced the rubber on the t-bar so far and that did make a noticable difference. So i assume the full door seal will help further which is the next step for me! Bite the bullet and do it! :thumleft:
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Skywalker wrote:hey Rob, have you tried the eccentric rod guides?

Might as well try them - then if not enough, go for the seals after.

Are they expensive. Found this part no in Knowledge base - 63283-17040 - they were referred to as "aftermarket" - are they Toyota parts ?

Thanks
Rob
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

How much leaking do you get? I'd only ever get leaking if it had rained and I opened the door (and then obviously shut it again), then I'd get a drip every 30 seconds or so.

Some silicon lub left on overnight now means I'm drip free all the time :thumleft:
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Leeroy wrote:How much leaking do you get? I'd only ever get leaking if it had rained and I opened the door (and then obviously shut it again), then I'd get a drip every 30 seconds or so.

Some silicon lub left on overnight now means I'm drip free all the time :thumleft:

I had drips before at windows - then after recent rebuild and respray (they removed rubbers, panels etc to spray), I now get water coming in sometimes through the centre light !! ... as well as drips in the windows.

I should go back to them (guy who sprayed car) and make them fix up the seals but I had a bad 13 month experience when getting engine/sparay done and just don't want to have anything to do with them again !

I'll take pics over the weekend - might be easiest to show bad it is.

Jeff, I'm at work and not got my car with me - you are selling the concentric rod guides - are the eccentric rod guides a tighter fit ?

Also, I don't think I'll replace everything - don't have the $$$.

Over the weekend, I'll examine all the rubber seals and see what is in good nick and what needs replacing. Can you get the eccentric rod guides ?

Also, are the "Hose for roof drain" a standard part on the t-bar ? I can't visualise them on the car :?

TIA
Rob
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

The holes on the rod guides I sell are off centre which allows you in effect "tighten down the hatches" depending how you put the guides in - have a reccy in the BGB

Personally, I prefer new seals as it gets rid of wind noise etc too but obviously more expensive
Joey

Post by Joey »

The guides are definitely worth a shot, though Jeff's right in saying new seals are probably the way to go. To sweeten the blow a bit the cheapest place for new seals is here :

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ ... id=1500266

Click on the 'Multiple Part Number Search' button and enter these parts numbers for a full set of seals for a T-bar

63628-17022 (Weatherstrip for T-Bar) Passenger Side
63627-17022 (Weatherstrip for T-Bar)
62382-17051 (glass t-bar panel seal) Passenger Side
62381-17051 (glass t-bar panel seal)

A full set of brand new OEM Toyota weatherstrips for $196.96, about £100 plus shipping which is estimated at $40 on the website, considerably less than what you'll pay in the UK even with import duty etc
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Jeff, will I be able to checkout on yourwebsite etc for shipping to Dublin, Ireland ? if not, can you pm me price for shipping of the rod guides and an oil filter to Dublin, Ireland ? And your paypal email address ?

TIA
Rob
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Joey wrote:The guides are definitely worth a shot, though Jeff's right in saying new seals are probably the way to go. To sweeten the blow a bit the cheapest place for new seals is here :

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ ... id=1500266

Click on the 'Multiple Part Number Search' button and enter these parts numbers for a full set of seals for a T-bar

63628-17022 (Weatherstrip for T-Bar) Passenger Side
63627-17022 (Weatherstrip for T-Bar)
62382-17051 (glass t-bar panel seal) Passenger Side
62381-17051 (glass t-bar panel seal)

A full set of brand new OEM Toyota weatherstrips for $196.96, about £100 plus shipping which is estimated at $40 on the website, considerably less than what you'll pay in the UK even with import duty etc

Great prices, especially with the $ so weak at the mo ! I started off with just drivers side (have a baby daughter since last year, so when we go out, have to use her car - so, passenger side can wait :mrgreen:

Ta for that
Rob
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

rwilson_ie wrote:have a baby daughter since last year, so when we go out, have to use her car

Your baby daughter has a car already :shock: :clap:
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

tried the Silicone sealant with clingfilm trick ?
Car now Sold :cry: damn 5th Lumber Disc !
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

You being kinky again Frank?
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

for once... no :eye:
Car now Sold :cry: damn 5th Lumber Disc !
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

I was also told to get some garden wire and push it down the drain holes to make sure these haven't blocked
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
iblis

Post by iblis »

rwilson_ie wrote:is replacing the t-bar rubbers a guaranteed way to stop the leaks ?

In a word no, I've heard of cases where it did not solve minor leaks. So definitely go with above suggestions before shelling out the cash, would be my advice.

It's not the normal sort of leak from your description so I suspect silicone and cling film is not the way to go. It may be worth removing and refitting the seals. It sounds like they are just not on right.

Eccentric rod guides are no harm to have either way.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

I also think some people don't realise how important it is to keep the rubber clean. Dirty rubber creates a poor seal. Some rubber cleaner should be applied every so often IMO.
teazer82sr

Post by teazer82sr »

mine leaked when i got my mr2. i cleaned the seals with cellouse thinners and used the clingfilm and sealant trick, this worked excellent, no leaks at all. when the sealant dried i trimmed the excess off with scissors and a scalpel, then smeared a thin film of sealant over the top and smoothed off with a wet finger so it looks like a factory seal when the roof is off. :wink:
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Leeroy wrote:
rwilson_ie wrote:have a baby daughter since last year, so when we go out, have to use her car

Your baby daughter has a car already :shock: :clap:

She's very advanced :mrgreen:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”