[Mk2] [Turbo] Beware Of Expensive Jap Crap

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

matt_mr2t

[Mk2] [Turbo] Beware Of Expensive Jap Crap

Post by matt_mr2t »

This is the remains of my HKS Hyper exhaust.

Completely rusted to bu88ery. This is a £600 exhaust system people and it's rusted so badly the hanger snapped off. Lucky the car has 3!

I'm replacing this with a much cheaper Berk unit thats fully stainless and has a lifetime warrenty I believe.

I guess what I'm trying to say is sometimes this "you get what you pay for" saying is completely wrong.
Spittinflames

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Beware Of Expensive Jap Crap

Post by Spittinflames »

Thats why i nevr understood why alex (2crooky) went for a departure 2 over something like the berk or even the motoria... Even if you try to protect them with paint they will eventually rot.

Unlucky fella but at least you'll now be able to get a nice shiney berk on there :D
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

The saving grace is that I didnt buy that, it was on the car when I bought it.

I wouldn't even consider buying a mild steel system, especially not for £600
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

bit a gun-gum and jobs a good un.

to be fair, its probably our horrible salty roads that killed it. was probably fine and would last as long as most people would have the car in jap-land.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I was trying to think of why on earth they make them from mild steel. It's not like it's dryer over there, they have a very humid climate IIRC?
-:[KM]:-

Post by -:[KM]:- »

Most mild steel exhausts will rot from the inside -> out.

It's moisture in the exhaust gasses and condensation that forms on the inside which is to blame..

:eye:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

IMO it's utter poo, it weighed a sodding ton as well, even though most of it was rotten!

Be warned people, you may think because they have designer names they are good but IMO stay well away from Jap exhausts.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

i have had problems with my depature 2 , cracked in the Y pipe that joins the 2 boxes and the stainless parts have surface rust. i like the exhaust too much to sell it tho, so instead i am going to go to piper exhausts and get some stainless pipes made up to replace the mild pipes. and get me mate to make 2 stainless plates that go on the back of the cans to which the pipe enters into.
steve b

Post by steve b »

Spittinflames wrote:Thats why i nevr understood why alex (2crooky) went for a departure 2 over something like the berk or even the motoria... Even if you try to protect them with paint they will eventually rot.

Unlucky fella but at least you'll now be able to get a nice shiney berk on there :D

I've been saying for years the departure 2 is a big heavy, rusty rip off, very few listened. Suprised about the HKS I did think they were all stainless or is that the superdragger only?

Apexi are all high quality stainless i believe, but thats it as far as jap pipes go.
injury_ian

Post by injury_ian »

matt, thats exactly what has happen to mine, about a week ago now.

silly design right behind the o/s wheel too, seeing about getting the 180 bend replaced with stainless
C50

Post by C50 »

I have a HKS Turbo and noticed it had mild steel welds. I also went Berk as it is full s/s and very good value for money imo. I didn't know the Berk had any warranty..
Turbo-G

Post by Turbo-G »

But to be fair, the standard system is going to be made mostly of mild steel and that HKS system has probbbably been on the car 10 years. Thats good going for any exhaust imo. Bit harsh to paint all japanese manufacturers with the same brush just becuase you have a rusty exhaust :roll: Its made out of metal, metal will corrode at some point in its life regardless of its grade of steel.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Think the Japanese exhausts are not really designed to last that long and possible our expectations of their life exceed the equation along with as mentioned salt roads-winter-internal gasses of the exhaust itself? :-k

Having said that they are expensive but how many years have they been on some cars is another issue unless fitted by the owner as brand new to monitor its life preformance?

Had a used/very new Apexi N1 but was fitted on or very near touching the tow eye hook and the stress there split the can!!! :evil: (ffs!)

My next exhaust is going to be custom made like the Apexi GT design but with out a can just a blasted pipe,say 4" leading to mostly 5" and then say the last foot about 6" :twisted: :lol: :eye:

The modern day Berk twin exhaust is where it is at :+:
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

Be warned people, you may think because they have designer names they are good but IMO stay well away from Jap exhausts.

:shock: Blitz Nur totally stainless, had for 5 years, no rust - AT ALL.
Well made, good price, brilliant kit. Not all jap exhausts are the same.
Tomiam

Post by Tomiam »

Not all stainless steel is the same. It comes in different grades.
316 Grade - top notch stuff, near impossible to get it to rust.
304 Grade - cheaper - rusts when it comes into contact with salt water / long term exposure to damp conditions.

I dont have a clue what grade the exhausts are made from or any of the scientific reasons for using a different grade. Im merely posting to say that as a sign maker I know there are different grades and that the quality differs a lot between them.

Stainless steel doesnt mean rust proof in all cases.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Harry wrote:My next exhaust is going to be custom made like the Apexi GT design but with out a can just a blasted pipe,say 4" leading to mostly 5" and then say the last foot about 6"

Why not do it right, start off with the big pipe out of the turbo and get smaller as you get to the outlet
Harry

Post by Harry »

bobhatton wrote:
Harry wrote:My next exhaust is going to be custom made like the Apexi GT design but with out a can just a blasted pipe,say 4" leading to mostly 5" and then say the last foot about 6"

Why not do it right, start off with the big pipe out of the turbo and get smaller as you get to the outlet

Nah,thats wrong must go smaller to bigger well not small as my idea of 4"-5"-6" is based on the Apexi GT systems graduation :wink: :lol:

My idea like Apexi is perfect for TURBO your idea is perfect for NA :wink: :thumleft:
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

RyanRs wrote:i have had problems with my depature 2 , cracked in the Y pipe that joins the 2 boxes and the stainless parts have surface rust. i like the exhaust too much to sell it tho, so instead i am going to go to piper exhausts and get some stainless pipes made up to replace the mild pipes. and get me mate to make 2 stainless plates that go on the back of the cans to which the pipe enters into.

Dude, if you do get a price, can you let me know as I'l probs get this done to mine too. The exhaust is far to special to just bin.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
2Crooky

Post by 2Crooky »

Lee i went for this over the other systems because these are rare and beautifully crafted!! All be it with mild steel at the Y piece :roll: I also went for this system as i got it for £180!!!......and the Motoria exhausts are common as muck!!!!!

What i can't understand is that the Motoria exhaust is a "show style" exhaust. Yet most of their stock comes through from the US with dents in back boxes, big scratches, bent tailpipes or dodgy alignment!! I have only seen half a dozen of these systems that fit perfectly. If you buy a full stainless twin system, it needs to be shown off.....So why spend the money then let it turn slowly brown just to look like another manky exhaust???? :? So many of you guys that have this system never clean/polish it!!!! ](*,) Whats the point in having a fully chromed exhaust if you don't keep it that way????

Mild steel exhausts will only rot from the inside if you leave the car for days on end without driving it. Or if you leave it out in the cold. If the car is a daily driver any condensation accumulated overnight will be blown through the exhaust that morning with no danger of rusting.

The reason so many companies make exhausts with mild steel is because mild steel deals with the heat far better.

I too will be getting the centre piece of my dep 2 made in 3" stainless by Hayward&Scott. Ant i will PM you a price in a few days :thumleft:
2Crooky

Post by 2Crooky »

steve b wrote:
Spittinflames wrote:

I've been saying for years the departure 2 is a big heavy, rusty rip off, very few listened. Suprised about the HKS I did think they were all stainless or is that the superdragger only?

Yep your right :lol: ](*,) The Pheonix Power Dep 2 Pro is the best flowing exhaust available!!!! Not only is is stunning to look at, it has 3" increasing to 3.30" pipework!!! Being a twin exit system it outflows all single exit systems. The fitment is outstanding with no strain on any components and the entire exhaust is symetrical unlike the Motoria.

Metal is not invincible and it will perish over time!! If you take care of your exhaust then it will last the life of the car.

Notice how all of you guys complain about rusty exhausts or that you've just blown a hole in it........Yet your exhaust are all filthy and rusty anyway!!! If you don't clean/treat/polish your exhaust system ever, then no wonder it is falling apart!! ](*,) If you see a little rust starting to appear on the pipework, get the exhaust off the car straight away!!......Sand/grind down the surface rust and coat the pipework to seal it.

I find it rediculous the way some of you take such beautiful care over your paintwork and interior, yet you let the exhaust get dirty, rusty, and manky, to then winge about it falling apart!!!

Don't be so lazy and take care of the exhaust as you would any other part of the car! :)

Return to “Modifications”