[Mk2] [Turbo] 4wd mr2 conversion- can it be done?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gnzyza

[Mk2] [Turbo] 4wd mr2 conversion- can it be done?

Post by gnzyza »

Hi,

Not really wanting to do this but would be interesting if it can be done or if it has already.

Maybe the GT4 would donate much needed parts.

I think a 60-40 or 70-30 distribution would be good still reataining extra power to the rears.

I think the Mr2 has very little grip on the front, and understeers.

I dont mind the wobbly ass if it didnt undeersteer to begin with then the car would be much more predictable in my opinion.

What do you guys think?
Gordy

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] 4wd mr2 conversion- can it be done?

Post by Gordy »

gnzyza wrote:
Not really wanting to do this but would be interesting if it can be done or if it has already.

...snip...

What do you guys think?

Prop-shaft through the petrol tank? Oh, but hang on, doesn't the GT4 prop shaft exit backwards...

...and blah, blah, a dozen other reasons why it can't be done properly at reasonable cost.

Go buy a scooby!
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Gordy wrote:
gnzyza wrote:

...snip...

What do you guys think?

Prop-shaft through the petrol tank? Oh, but hang on, doesn't the GT4 prop shaft exit backwards...

...and blah, blah, a dozen other reasons why it can't be done properly at reasonable cost.

Go buy a scooby!

Ok fair enough,

I didn't say i wanted to do it, it was JUST a thought coz there was rumour that toyota made a sort of mr2-celica hybrid project car ages ago.....

Funny you mention scooby coz i just smoked an sti last night, some i bumped into owned it. think its like 03-04 model. I was suprised actually coz im running a stock rev3.

So i think i'll stick with my Tubby thanks.
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

I think the car to which you refer is the Mk1 Group B/S rally car:

http://www.groupbrally.com/toyota.shtml

There are 2 of these remaining: a black TTE one in Germany (from which I got the inspiration for my "Nighthawk"), and a white Group S one in Japan.

I'd love to build a replica, using the GT4, but as mentioned, the engineering required would be immense, and you would need LOTS of time and a VERY fat wallet..!! :D :cry:
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

greglebon wrote:I think the car to which you refer is the Mk1 Group B/S rally car:

http://www.groupbrally.com/toyota.shtml

There are 2 of these remaining: a black TTE one in Germany (from which I got the inspiration for my "Nighthawk"), and a white Group S one in Japan.

I'd love to build a replica, using the GT4, but as mentioned, the engineering required would be immense, and you would need LOTS of time and a VERY fat wallet..!! :D :cry:

Yep thats the one, not worth/possible doing really is it. and i suppose will take that rear drived feeling out of the car but boy will it handle- jus one downside to the mr2 in my opinion.

Thanks for the link :thumleft:
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

would probably be easier to make a Tube frame chassis based around the mr2 shell and 4wd setup, then fit the mr2 ' body shell' to it.

so basically it will be a kit car designed to look like an mr2.

still cost a fortune tho!
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

would probably be easier to make a Tube frame chassis based around the mr2 shell and 4wd setup, then fit the mr2 ' body shell' to it.

so basically it will be a kit car designed to look like an mr2.

still cost a fortune tho!
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

gnzyza wrote:

I think the Mr2 has very little grip on the front, and understeers.

I dont mind the wobbly ass if it didnt undeersteer to begin with then the car would be much more predictable in my opinion.

What do you guys think?

It has plenty of front end grip, but just like a 911, the nose bounces around a bit. Depending on you suspension/chassis setup you should get enough feedback through the steering wheel to know when the front has "bitten" just after turn-in. When you know the way the mid-engine layout handles differently to a more planted FWD car you can exploit it and achieve fantastic cornering speeds.

4WD just wouldn't suit an MR2 IMO. The idiosyncracies of the MR2's handling is what makes it a pleasure/challenge to drive :thumleft:
SW20Paul

Post by SW20Paul »

Could you not put another engine in the front :-k

Easy make 1000+bhp with 2 3sgte's I might try it if I win the lottery :whistle:

I think I remember seeing a twin engined golf years ago. The gears might be a headache to work out though.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

theres a couple of twin engine golfs, and other cars.

i sware i remember seeing a sw20 with a front mounted NA ??
Urban

Post by Urban »

SW20Paul wrote:Could you not put another engine in the front :-k

Easy make 1000+bhp with 2 3sgte's I might try it if I win the lottery :whistle:

I think I remember seeing a twin engined golf years ago. The gears might be a headache to work out though.

Theres nowhere near enough space in the front of an MR2 for another 3SGTE lump!

You'd have to have some crazy bonnet bulge about 3 foot high :lol:
refo

Post by refo »

just in the interest of conversation and imagination..

i also had a 4wd sw20 idea a while back..
there are 2 ways of doing it.

the horid way...
put a scooby lump in the front and bodge the 4wd system to fit. but you ruin the balance of the car and it'll basicly be a bad version of the celica gt4.

cut the diff off the gearbox. graft on a transfer box with diff so that the prop could go where the exhaust is.. move the exhuast to find another way out of the back..
the fuel tank needs moving or reshaping. prolly making it a lot smaller.
then you need front hubs that can take drive. maybe celica ones? not looked into the 2 designs.
front props and a diff. not too hard to sort out. would need to chop up frunk floor to fit this and then weld in some extra supports to make up for the missing bits and extra weight.
the battery would need to be moved too.

the expensive bit is making the transfer box fit the gearbox. once you have this sorted the rest is quite simple.

but i dont think the mr2 has bad turn in at all. i think its got quite a lot of front end grip.
what tyres are you using? have you had a proper 4 wheel alignment done? have you uprated the suspension in anyway? strut braces?
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Yeah strut braces make a big difference as do TRD topmounts or solid topmounts for coilovers and obviously decent tyres. Maybe go up to a 205 width front tyre for a bit more grip.

You could hardly call a mk2s steering "pointy" though. 4WD wouldn't help this I wouldn't have thought.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Thanks for the info Refo :thumleft:

I would explain the behaviour of the car as if you go around a bend, tight or slightly sharp the front end seems skittish, abit like cork screwing. has undeersteer aswell, until the back intervenes and points it back on track.

It feels as though the front reacts badly to the bumps in the corner causing it to bounce on em.

Im running everything stock suspension wise, i think my Arbs are worn and droplinks also. would that make a big difference?

Matt would you think putting trd topmounts on standard setup would help?

Im sure the shocks on the car are still ok?

I was just curious about 4wd, coz i raced my mates new sti, i beat him but the next day i drove his and its so much more poised than the 2. It would eat the two round the bends.

I like the feel of the two thou, the sti feels very confident but a little too boring.
would just be nice to have a bit more grip. dont know if its a prob wiv my car or generic on the two.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Stock topmounts are known to wear and effect handling. TRD topmounts are £200, plus the labour for fitting them and apparently sharpen up the steering. Drop links are always in need of replacing on 2s it seems and make a difference. The best thing to do is just go the whole hog and get Tein Super Street coilovers. They are adjustable and on the softest setting are as compliant as standard, but have much better damping control.

There was also an interesting thread a while back regarding a mod on the steering rack. Apparently there's a rubber connection in the steering column that is there to reduce vibration. It can wear, though and cause the steering to be wooley and lack feel. The mod involved making a solid replacement part for the rubber.

The MR2s I have driven have all varied greatly in steering response and feel. I'm luck in that mine is very responsive. Others have been completely light and slack feeling.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

gnzyza wrote:

I would explain the behaviour of the car as if you go around a bend, tight or slightly sharp the front end seems skittish, abit like cork screwing. has undeersteer aswell, until the back intervenes and points it back on track.

It feels as though the front reacts badly to the bumps in the corner causing it to bounce on em.

I agree, mate. I don't think the mk2 is ideal for our back roads. It's much better suited to a smooth surface, like many of the roads in Japan.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

mattcambs wrote:Stock topmounts are known to wear and effect handling. TRD topmounts are £200, plus the labour for fitting them and apparently sharpen up the steering. Drop links are always in need of replacing on 2s it seems and make a difference. The best thing to do is just go the whole hog and get Tein Super Street coilovers. They are adjustable and on the softest setting are as compliant as standard, but have much better damping control.

There was also an interesting thread a while back regarding a mod on the steering rack. Apparently there's a rubber connection in the steering column that is there to reduce vibration. It can wear, though and cause the steering to be wooley and lack feel. The mod involved making a solid replacement part for the rubber.

The MR2s I have driven have all varied greatly in steering response and feel. I'm luck in that mine is very responsive. Others have been completely light and slack feeling.

Yeah £200 jus fo the topmounts aint really worth doing on there own, its better just to do the whole thing. I think your right about the varying traits from different cars. they're really tightly put together so after 13 odd years things would wear out its expected i suppose.

Im going to change the Arb bushes and drop links and take it from there.

Thanks for the info :thumleft:
SW20Paul

Post by SW20Paul »

Urban wrote:

And whats wrong with that :tongue:
refo

Post by refo »

SW20Paul wrote:
Urban wrote:

And whats wrong with that :tongue:

not with a flat 4 and not so much if you did an inline 4 sert right back into the cabin and then tilted it to the passenger side to reduce its height. i think you'd still get a cool looking bonnet bulge though.

anything is possible with cars. its just how much money or time your willing to chuck at it.
refo

Post by refo »

it sounds to me like the suspension is just worn out. lose droplinks and bushes are not going to help and worn out top mounts are defo not helping.

the standard wheels are tiny and very heavy so these could do with an upgrade. i found that the mk2 rev1 na was a real monster in the corners once adjustable shocks, spings amd 16" wheels with 205 tyres.

just redone that setup again with all poly bushes and uprated drop links. cant wait to test it.. it started last night :D

Return to “Modifications”