Ten of the Best (TOTB) 2007 - Elvington, 29th July - MR2s needed...

Reports and Feedback from MR2 related events

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

michael

Ten of the Best (TOTB) 2007 - Elvington, 29th July - MR2s needed...

Post by michael »

http://www.totb.co.uk

I've always felt that the MR2 entry should be an opportunity to show the world that the MR2 is a force to be reckoned with and to some degree past entries have helped to do that but there is always room for improvement. The time has come to stop filling places with untested, newly built, machines that don't live up to expectations on the day, we need all the cars out fighting as soon as the strip opens, not sitting in the pits being polished / repaired.

At this point in time I guess a number of IMOC people will be thinking "who the hell does he think he is to dictate who enters", in summary I'm the guy who got MR2s included at TOTB, I simply chose to do this with IMOC as that was the club I was closest too. The plan remained the same for this year but unfortunately the IMOC committee decided to go behind my back and contacted the TOTB organisers with a message to say that Icsunonove / Tom would be looking after the team, after 3 successful years of doing this and a lot of work I was "slightly" annoyed. In the months leading up to this I had already made it quite clear that I was happy to look after an MR2 TOTB entry but it seems this was ignored.

After giving this situation some thought I decided to change things, clearly I don't have the support of the IMOC committee so it doesn't seem appropriate to use the entry for the club. In addition to this I also dropped out of the "IMOC Organiser" group last year as a number of people were using it as ammunition against me in discussions, comments that implied someone "in charge" shouldn't be able to have opinions annoyed me and at the end of the day you don't need a title to organise things, continued digs by committee members haven't helped either.

I'm sorry if that seems harsh / petty but I genuinely want to showcase the best cars and can only do this by ensuring everyone feels that they are welcome, as the organiser *I* don't feel welcome around IMOC so that's not a good start. Believe it or not there are plenty of people out there who don't like IMOC and it's management, these are the people I'm initially reaching out to in an attempt to have a unified entry. Perhaps we can use this event to create a bit more harmony between the various clubs? This isn't a purely anti-IMOC move, this is MR2 unification for the good of the MR2 inspired by the actions of certain people within IMOC.

So where does this leave IMOC? The situation doesn't change things a great deal for it's members – as ever entry will be on merit / past results and it's possible that all 10 places will be made up by people who are members. However we now have the ability to pull in additional people who for whatever reason don't want to be associated with the club. People are welcome to fly their "club colours" in the form of advertising on vehicles and EVERYONE is welcome.

This isn't about excluding anyone, it's about including everyone.

In an ideal world I'd like to see the entry consist of a variety of cars, MK1s, MK2s and MK3s, it's good place to settle the argument about which car handles the best if nothing else :)

Clubs Invited:

IMOC-UK (inc MR2 MK1 Club)
MR2OC (UK & US)
TwoBrutal
MR2ROC
Toyota Owners Club

Places are also available to individuals not affiliated with a club and for members of generic multi-make clubs. If you have a quiet friend who isn't on the Internet now is the time to get them to speak up.

At this stage I'd like each club to firstly confirm if this is something they want to be involved in and then secondly give me a point of contact that I can cascade information to when necessary. It would be great if this could be made a sticky post for a while so people get an opportunity to see it.

Please feel free to respond with any questions or comments, if you would rather speak to me out of the public eye please feel free to email ([email protected]) or PM. We currently have a blank page to work with, talk to me....

Michael
Andy F

Re: Ten of the Best (TOTB) 2007 - Elvington, 29th July - MR2s needed...

Post by Andy F »

:wink:
Chris

Post by Chris »

8) \:D/
mr2turbo117

Post by mr2turbo117 »

Just came off the phone to michael and sounds like a really great guy :thumleft: .

Good luck and hopefully hear from you soon :D
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

well done michael

sounds like the perfect opportunity to start a bit of rival banter between the clubs of whos gonna come out on top :)

you dedication to the mr2 scene is beyond belief almost so much that you can be forgiven for driving that whale of a car you do ;)

paul
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

sorry, but is this instead of imoc entering ? Lauren was adamant that IMOC entry was IMOC only, and TBH i prefer the idea of getting the best mr2's there, not just the best in one club. mr2-unification ! sounds good to me.
michael

Post by michael »

splashnatz wrote:sorry, but is this instead of imoc entering?

It is - there is only room for one MR2 team at the event.

splashnatz wrote:Lauren was adamant that IMOC entry was IMOC only.

Lauren was wrong.
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

:thumleft:
fizz

Post by fizz »

You got my support mate... shame I dont have a tubby no longer.. (not that it would be quick enough anyway) #-o

As I said on the TOC... hope you get a good response. :thumleft:
Bibbs

Post by Bibbs »

fizz wrote:You got my support mate... shame I dont have a tubby no longer.. (not that it would be quick enough anyway) #-o

As I said on the TOC... hope you get a good response. :thumleft:

Echo what that man said :thumleft:

Sorry to hear about the problems going on. Never good.
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Well done MC, this is the way to go. Good on you for sticking with it!

In addition to this I also dropped out of the "IMOC Organiser" group last year as a number of people were using it as ammunition against me in discussions, comments that implied someone "in charge" shouldn't be able to have opinions.

See thats where you went wrong, if you were in charge and manipulated events for your own financial gain then no one would have said a thing! :roll: :wink:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

So there will be no bias shown towards 'mates', particular tuners or indeed against particular tuners due to jealousy or for any other reason? Purely on merit you say.

I was never aware the team included or excluded anyone on the basis of their favourite club anyway?

T
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

tonigmr2 wrote:So there will be no bias shown towards 'mates', particular tuners or indeed against particular tuners due to jealousy or for any other reason? Purely on merit you say.

I was never aware the team included or excluded anyone on the basis of their favourite club anyway?

T

Well thats you out then :thumleft:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

You are the reason I ask, your 'location' makes it obvious who you'd want to include. Given some of the cars coming out this year you might not make the team either. :? Oh and thanks for the really friendly 'all MR2s included' welcome.
T
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

tonigmr2 wrote:You are the reason I ask, your 'location' makes it obvious who you'd want to include. Given some of the cars coming out this year you might not make the team either. :? Oh and thanks for the really friendly 'all MR2s included' welcome.
T

I don't want to make the team :roll:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Andy F wrote:
tonigmr2 wrote:You are the reason I ask, your 'location' makes it obvious who you'd want to include. Given some of the cars coming out this year you might not make the team either. :? Oh and thanks for the really friendly 'all MR2s included' welcome.
T

Really? Just control it then?
I really don't care what people think of my cars/times, I'm a newbie, my car is, I've said it many times. They and me will improve. I am not really interested in taking part in an unfriendly team who will snipe at me for it though, and I'd prefer to represent a club rather than an individual. But that's me, TOTB is just one event out of the year.
T
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

tonigmr2 wrote:
Andy F wrote:
T

Really? Just control it then?
I really don't care what people think of my cars/times, I'm a newbie, my car is, I've said it many times. They and me will improve. I am not really interested in taking part in an unfriendly team who will snipe at me for it though, and I'd prefer to represent a club rather than an individual. But that's me, TOTB is just one event out of the year.
T

It has nothing to do with me at all !
Im just enjoying the moment, you and the clique thought you had it all sawn up!! :mrgreen:
redeye32uk

Post by redeye32uk »

And so the bitching, an back biting beguine’s.........
michael wrote:
splashnatz wrote:sorry, but is this instead of imoc entering?

It is - there is only room for one MR2 team at the event.

And that’s how it should be, one team made up from the best MR2's ready at the time from the UK , and imho, Mr C running it as hes done so well over the last 3 or so years.
No disrespect to Tom or the committee but why should imoc have a team at the exclusion of other clubs. (even if we are the best :-# )
450wbhp comming soon
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

redeye32uk wrote:And so the bitching, an back biting beguine’s.........

And the general background whine of IMOC increases a notch. :roll:

To be honest I don't give a flying xxxx who organises the TOTB 'MR2' team, I just wish everyone would quit being so xxxxxx childish about it. :evil: You're holding grudges that are older than the bloody hills FFS!

All this b0ll0cks just depresses me. ](*,)
michael

Post by michael »

tonigmr2 wrote:So there will be no bias shown towards 'mates', particular tuners or indeed against particular tuners due to jealousy or for any other reason? Purely on merit you say.

Abolutely not, this is a clean sheet as far as I'm concerned, if the team is made up of people I've never spoken to before then it's because those people are the best ones to represent the MR2 world at that time. I have no affiliation with any tuners and like some I have nothing to gain from making friends with a particular company or individual. I demand no favours, no special treatment, no support and no assistance with my own vehicle, I'm unbiased. I'm not sure where the jealousy comment is aimed but I can assure you that this isn't a factor.

You are quite right, in theory. I didn't exclude anyone from the event but the fact that it was an IMOC team made some people reluctant to be a part of it - I'm trying to prevent this by creating a united entry where everyone is welcome :|

Return to “Past Events”