[All] [Generic] Noisy exhaust, Could this be neighbour friendly - Apexi ECV

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2lover

[All] [Generic] Noisy exhaust, Could this be neighbour friendly - Apexi ECV

Post by MR2lover »

Well pretty much everyone on here has a aftermarket exhaust and sometimes i bet you wish it was quieter well saw this is a websearch, Very similar to what the 360 ferrari uses. Has anyone used or heard for of these in use as im wondering how it really quietens the exhaust noise without any bafflers or mufflers in place

APEXi ECV (Exhaust Control Valve)

The APEXi Exhaust Control Valve (ECV) controls the amount of exhaust flow from an exhaust muffler and thus varies the loudness of the exhaust volume. The ECV is installed after the catalytic converter in a vehicle's exhaust system. It can easily reduce the exhaust loudness level by a maximum of 10dB by varying the butterfly valve in the ECV. With the ECV, you can now maximize a high performance car potential; be it driving in urban areas, at night, or in areas with strict sound emission laws, just by varying the butterfly valve opening in the ECV.

All these adjustments can be done in the cockpit on the fly by wire controls of the ECV. The butterfly valve can be controlled in real time while driving either with the valve in fully opened, fully closed, or partially opened position. Before the invention of the APEXi ECV, exhaust sound levels could only be controlled by using different inner silencers in an exhaust muffler. These inner silencers require vehicle down time to install, dismantle, and re-install to achieve similar performance levels of the ECV.

The ECV replaces the connecting flange on the piping (after the catalytic converter) that connects to the catalytic converter. The wire that controls the butterfly valve on the ECV runs via the heat sensor cabling (as in NISSAN vehicles) and through an opening from the vehicle's under carriage to the interior of the vehicle where it terminates at the valve control lever switch in the cockpit (Easily accessible by the driver). Minor drilling & modification on exhaust piping after the catalytic converter might be required on other vehicle makes (e.g. TOYOTA vehicles).

Please select your Pipe or flange size. Either is suitable depending upon your application. The flange type will fit as a replacement flange that connects to the catalytic converter - just choose your flange size. The pipe type will fit AFTER your existing flange by creating a cut and weld in between the pipe and is specified in the size of the pipe you are installing into. See the drop down list below.

See also the DECS - Dynamic Electronic Control System sold separately which allows you to manage this Exhaust Control valve electronically!

matt_mr2t

Re: [All] [Generic] Noisy exhaust, Could this be neighbour friendly - Apexi ECV

Post by matt_mr2t »

It's pretty strait forward. It restricts the amount of air exiting the exhaust at any one time thus reducing the noise it makes.

On the Ferrari's though they open with the amount of throttle being applied so as not to cause a restriction at higher revs. Does that do the same or is it manually opened and closed?
gtech

Post by gtech »

I do believe Stuart Bowen has one of these, in fact its the HKS variant and if I'm not mistaken he no longer has any use for it and could be selling it. I do know for a fact that it has NEVER been on an exhaust and is in brand new condition.

If interested I can try and get hold of him but he is related to the "Scarlet Pimpernell" :-)
Berk Tech IC, Berk Tech Downpipe, Berk Tech Exhaust, ARC Induction System, DevilsOwn Water/Meth Injection (Pre & Post turbo). TRD Cold Pipe, EMS Powered Digital Boost Gauge, TRD Strut Braces, Innovate O2, Blitz SBC i-color EBC - "ARCH ROLLER FOR HIRE"
MR2lover

Post by MR2lover »

That be great gtech :thumleft:
gtech

Post by gtech »

Just spoke to Stuart, his device is the "Apexi Active Silencer" as per:....

http://www.prostreetonline.com/news/ape ... _silencer/

Its brand new, still boxed and his is the 115mm (but will check tonight). As it is brand new he is looking at £100 incl UK postage, NO OFFERS.
Berk Tech IC, Berk Tech Downpipe, Berk Tech Exhaust, ARC Induction System, DevilsOwn Water/Meth Injection (Pre & Post turbo). TRD Cold Pipe, EMS Powered Digital Boost Gauge, TRD Strut Braces, Innovate O2, Blitz SBC i-color EBC - "ARCH ROLLER FOR HIRE"
MR2lover

Post by MR2lover »

Its different mate, no worries thanks for looking

Just check neugun and you can get ecv for £57 :thumleft:
MarkP.

Post by MarkP. »

I've had one fitted about a year and it works well,not very good for performance but does the job of keeping the noise down when needed.
MR2lover

Post by MR2lover »

Yh i can imagine the performance will drop when closed but when open there should be no problem or was there mark

Thanks
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

I was looking into these about 6 months ago - but car has been off the orad since, so kinda forgot.

I have remote start which I use frequently (when my car is around :( ) and this is perfect for early morning staying quiet while warming up. Or coming home late and quiet cooling down on the turbo timer.

The different diameters quoted - I assume this is the internal diameter of the exhaust ?

Rob
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

MarkP. wrote:I've had one fitted about a year and it works well,not very good for performance but does the job of keeping the noise down when needed.

Can you tell me what the in-cabin control is like ? Basically, I wanted to find out if you have to have the valve fully open/fully shut, or whether anywhere in between open and shut ? If you can have it e.g. 15% open, can you tell this by looking at the in-cabin control ?

TIA
Rob
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

I looked at this a while ago too. AFAIK there are 2 options; the £57 gets you the valve and a pull (Bicycle type) cable, you route this into the cabin and when you want to close the valve you tug on the cable. I guess there is some adjustment so you can have it half closed, fully closed/open etc.. but probably not 15% resolution.
The other option add a stepper motor and a electronic control box which makes it all easier and much more adjustable. Also adds quite a bit (~£100?) to the price.

I'd still like to do this, but never gotten around to it. (Also wasnt sure what flange size was required)
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

Group buy :-k
MarkP.

Post by MarkP. »

rwilson_ie wrote:
MarkP. wrote:I've had one fitted about a year and it works well,not very good for performance but does the job of keeping the noise down when needed.

Can you tell me what the in-cabin control is like ? Basically, I wanted to find out if you have to have the valve fully open/fully shut, or whether anywhere in between open and shut ? If you can have it e.g. 15% open, can you tell this by looking at the in-cabin control ?

TIA
Rob

The in-car controller is stepped so you can set it at different posistions.Mines either fully closed or fully open.I have forgot to reopen it a few times and its very noticable when you come on boost,the lag is terrible #-o
MR2lover

Post by MR2lover »

Does it make a bigger difference to noise mark and does the exhaust sound like its blowing when its nearly fully closed as only be a small area for pressure to get through
MarkP.

Post by MarkP. »

It does make a big difference on my car as i have a single outlet single silencer exhaust,but it mainly takes away the drone you get at idle that seems to make the whole house shake.Your right when it is closed is does give the effect that your exhaust is blowing,if i remember theres about a 1/4-3/8 inch gap around the actual plate inside when fully closed.
drew3555

Post by drew3555 »

I thought the way these were supposed to work was to redirect the gasses not stifle them. Ferraris have two sets of pipes running out of the main box. One set was effectively straight through with only the perforated tube inside to reduce noise. the other set relies on the exhaust going through the baffles. On tickover & low load the valves are closed on the unbaffled set & the exhaust runs quiet. Inlet manifold vacuum controls the valves via diaphrams so you always have the power (and sound) when you want it.

Hence why they sound so much better accelerating under load rather than just revving at standstill.

Not sure how much good it does to your engine putting so much backpressure load on it when you close it. Especially if you are trying to cool the turbo when returning home.
allan

Post by allan »

Hi Folks !
I'm also interested by this system, because i've got the Departure 2 exhaust copy from Rogue, and this exhaust is quite LOUD !
\:D/
It's fun, but not really when i'm driving in town or iddling at the traffic light near a police car.... u know what i mean...
So i'm planning to fit this motorised butterfly on the piping of my exhaust, but i'm wondering if the temperature will not melt down the system after a few miles around....
Whats your feedback about that ?
Good idea ? Dumb Idea ?
Note: i don't want to use it at full boost or driving around in the mountains, just when i'm driving in town.
thanks for your help !
:thumleft:

sorry for my poor english...
:oops:
Harry

Post by Harry »

You're alright Allan your English Is probably a lot better than some locals.Do you have chavs there by you? :lol:
sorry for my poor english...

Yarp I'd be In for a group buy but the cheap bicylcle pull Item there Is no great desire for bunging up the exhaust except whilst trying to act normal around town n house. Anyone know the fit set up for 5Zigen Border Fireball Single Exit:-86-87 mm.

allan

Post by allan »

same stuff at Vivid racing, quite similar in price..
http://www.showoffimports.nl/product.ph ... 38&cat=563

wich one the best ?
Apexi or Vivid ?
8-[
flackie666

Post by flackie666 »

im intrested as im bannded from getting a loud exhaust while in still at home with the parents lol but were in the exhaust does it go :-s

Return to “Modifications”