Been pulled by VOSA :( not good

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Spittinflames

Been pulled by VOSA :( not good

Post by Spittinflames »

Was on my way home from work when i get waved in by a police officer to have my vechile inspected..... They took the p1$$ to say the least.

They've made me rip my window tints off there and then, the've told me i've got to take the nur spec off because its to loud even with the cat on and my hand brakes crap even though i paid to have it done for the mot one month ago..... I've now got to take the car for a re test with a standard exhaust on as the mot place have said even though the past it first time they will now fail it..... I also got done on sunday for having a number plate in the windscreen.... the ironic thing is the turn in to the garage where i was going to have my producer stamped for the plate was where the VOSA van was..... I'm serioulsy pi$$ed off, i think its time to sell the 2 cause i just simply cant have what i want on it..... This country sucks big time..... One very pi$$ed off me.....

Is there a noise limit on exhaust at all, because he just said its to loud, never measured it or anything, grumpy old xxxxxx.... god im fuming :evil:
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Re: Been pulled by VOSA :( not good

Post by Tiamat »

IIRC there is no limit on the noise level of the exhaust, you may just be "done" for causing a nuisance with it.
Hope I don't come across VOSA then with my exhaust - I'm a gonner for sure!
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
Troubled

Post by Troubled »

i thought any non standard (oem) exhaust is technically illegal
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

so where do i stand now?? The mot places wont touch it because its been noted by vosa its to loud.....
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

Troubled wrote:i thought any non standard (oem) exhaust is technically illegal

Anyone want a nurspec then.? swap + cash for standard exhaust
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

Spittinflames wrote:
Troubled wrote:i thought any non standard (oem) exhaust is technically illegal

Anyone want a nurspec then.? swap + cash for standard exhaust

so if the mot place said they would fail the nur spec now they must have some new sort of guide as to what is an illegal noise limit is?
ask them how they measure it
Bry

Post by Bry »

Strangely enough there's a VOSA road side check been set up just up the road from my house today,after what they've told you I think I'll steer well clear,as my car aint got a hope in hell of getting by without being stopped.Just borrow a standard exhaust, get it inspected then whack the Nur spec back on,don't let them beat you mate :twisted:
Watch out OZ here I come !!
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

I've been to 2 mot stations on the way home.... both looked through there books... there is no limit its just got to be reasonable... but who defines resonable..... the vosa man,.... now he failed it the mot will fail it :(
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Do VOSA keep a record of pulling you over and what they found?

If not, do as Bry says, swap the exhaust just for the MOT!

:twisted:
SB

Post by SB »

Makes no sense, just crazy :?

I mean how would they know if you now went to an MOT station that you had swapped the exhaust for something "reasonable"? You could go in, tell the tester you got pulled by VOSA so swapped your straight through unbaffled unsilenced exhaust for this much quieter, more friendly Blitz system. Neither VOSA nor the MOT tester would have any clue whether or not you had actually swapped it or not. So whats the point?!

Not to mention I fail to see how anything can be classed as unreasonable without some way of backing it up - ie scientific measurements etc...
SB

Post by SB »

OK, I stand corrected, just found this "Rejection Reason" in the VOSA guidelines...

A silencer that is in such a condition or is of such a type that the noise emitted is clearly in excess of that which would be produced by a similar machine fitted with a standard silencer in average condition.

Stupid :roll:
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

I feel for you mate, this country does indeed suck. I'm not talking about the general public, just the government and their dumb rules.
mr2readster

Post by mr2readster »

Thats taking the P*ss me thinks, don't swap the exhaust all u need is the bung for the nur spec and the mot station will pass it for sure.
VOSA have pulled some illegal jap cars with mot's and have started pulling those that look or sound to be not road legal.

Ur nur spec is legal with the cat in place no matter what, u can complain to VOSA to ask how ur exhaust was tested and by what Judgement the officer failed it when the MOT station passed it only a month ago. 8)
dannyroids

Post by dannyroids »

This country sure does take the p1$$, i really cant stand some of the supposed 'laws' they have in the UK. He blatently was taking the p1$$ just by saying its 'too loud'.

If i were in your situation like leeroy said i would find a standard one from the scrappy or ask around on here.

I mean are your tints and exhausts really causing that much of a nusiance? :roll:

Power just goes to their heads sometimes :evil:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

to be fair the tints rule is pretty sensible cause some folks cant see jack during the day never mind at night. As for the exhaust, no measurement with std equipment, not a hope of proving anything.

Stick the bung back in and you will be fine.
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

just go to a different mot station.

they only give you a stamp of approval iirc it costs about 10 quid at my local place.

i know people who have had to get them for having illegal plates.

an mot station will not fail an exhaust for bein to loud. check out the mot guidelines.
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Feeling for you mate, that sucks big time!

This country does have stupid laws, ill totally agree with you there..unfortunately its the government who make them, not the police....or the vosa.

The inspectors can be right arses...i dont know why, they probably used to be traffic wardens!

With reference to your exhaust, as someone else pointed out....it is an offence to have any non-standard exhaust on your car...its not enforced very often....and i dont think it should be...but its true.
There are loads of other petty offences too....and again hardly anyone knows about them....using your vehicle horn when stationary, keeping your engine running whilst stationary, keeping your engine running whilst not in the vehicle (on a road or public place), excessive noise emmitting from a motor vehicle, ....and the killer.....using your vehicle in a way that causes nuisance to any other person.

I do however agree with the window tints thing, they are difficult to see out of with dark tints hence why you can only have 25% on the front....but thats a safety issue.

Dont sell the two mate...just get your ticket stamped and then mod away! :)
Daston

Post by Daston »

I got this in my supra when I got caught "causing a public nusense" they told me it was too loud, i just replied saying it isnt any louder than say a TVR but they just laughed and said "Oh their english". So I just told them to prove it.
JAP BOY

Post by JAP BOY »

at TICK OVER IT SHOULD BE NO MORE THAN 90db APPARENTLY
SwissHeavy

Post by SwissHeavy »

#-o Damn man! You don't deserve all that aggro! You're a good bloke and the bad luck keeps rolling out for Joe Bloggs of this country.

The UK sucks! ](*,)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”