[Mk2 Turbo] Rear Break Piston Conspiracy!!!!!!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

beno

[Mk2 Turbo] Rear Break Piston Conspiracy!!!!!!

Post by beno »

I am trying to adjust my handbrake because it dont seem to do nothing since i changed my pads all round. i have read almost all of the threads on this website about handbrakes, brakes, pistons etc and all say about whinding piston back fully....... been turning my piston for three whole days now and it dont seem to stop.........If it dont stop how will i be able to turn it back 180 degrees as well documented on these forums...this 180m degrees turning thing seems the key to letting off some mechanical device for the handbrake and i cant seem to do it ......
any help would be gratefully received......
i have a mr2turbo rev3
what aint i doing?

Pls and thk you.....
beno ](*,)
dan1

Re: [Mk2 Turbo] Rear Break Piston Conspiracy!!!!!!

Post by dan1 »

i had the same prob with mine after changing the pads on the rear and tried the 180 turn lots of times to no avail. I later found out that the handbreack cable was actually seazed on the one side and replaced it and all was well. just a thaught? might be your problem.
beno

Post by beno »

nice 1 dan ill have a look at that gonna strip both sides down and stat again in the morning
Mr Two

Post by Mr Two »

I took my rear brakes apart last week and it was the first time i'd stripped the brakes of an MR2.
With reference to winding the piston all the way in - mine just kept turning n turning but i noticed that the piston face was level with the caliper face so i took it that it was as far as the piston went back :wink: - and so it was :). Then it was just a matter of unwinding it 180 degrees at a time and trying the fit over the pads until it was a "fairly" snug and then bolt it back on. If you wind the piston out too far though, you'll have to wind it all the way back in and start again :whistle:
Must say though - wotever you do, make sure that the caliper slides are free to move easily and freshly greased with silicone grease(best cleaned off well first).

After i had connected the handbrake cable to the rear of the caliper i noticed that the handbrake was only partly holding the wheel and when i let the handbrake off the pads seemed to stick on a bit - sure sign that the cable is sticking - so new cable fitted( £29 from my local motor factors, Quinton Hazel too - good brand ) and brakes work fine now :D

HTH

Dave

Return to “Mechanical”