Auto Stuck in High Gear / Overdrive - Will not shift - HELP?

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

roscopico

Auto Stuck in High Gear / Overdrive - Will not shift - HELP?

Post by roscopico »

Hi All

I have posted this issue before on the forum but have more specific symptoms, anyone help?.

I have carried out the workshop manuals 'mechanical shift test' and it has passed this fine (soleniod wire disconnected and all gears selected to see if they still change - which they did correctly... so it states that the problem must be electrical)

I have swaped the ECU (which has the ETC intergrated onto it) with the same ECU from the same car as well as being a REV1 - No Change.

Any Ideas?

I have heard that the thermostat being faulty can cause these problems, but that was on other types of car.....

All help will be warmly accepted!!!

Many Thanks

Rosco

1990 MR2 G-Limited Auto
Big G

Re: Auto Stuck in High Gear / Overdrive - Will not shift - HELP?

Post by Big G »

Can you diconnect the overdrive electrical feed and drive the car??

Autoboxes dictate gears by way of sun and planet gears using brakeband to engage the gears all driven and operated/controlled by fluid pressure

Have you checked your fluid??

I hate auto boxes, vain of my life!!
roscopico

Post by roscopico »

Hi

Thanks for the response.... i shall try this today for sure, i can disconnect the overdrive relay in the center panel (just behind the gaer lever)

Will let you know of any joy! The car is also running very rough and consuming a lot of fuel so i think there is a factor involved in there also!

The manual conversion will be happening sooner rather than later i think!!!

Many Thanks

Rosco
Stretchermunkey

Post by Stretchermunkey »

Hi mate, not very mechanical, but.. i had a similar prob on my car and it was the thermostat, constantly running in o/d, used loads of fuel. replaced the thermosat and problem solved. hope thats what it is as it's quick and easy to sort.

Return to “Electrical”