New Modification

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimi

New Modification

Post by jimi »

Just finished my pushbutton engine cover release :D and fitted a new switch to my manual choke
Switches

Actuator

Also traced out some unused wiring for cruise control that can save a lot of hassle running extra wires from the cabin to the boot and engine bay. Details are on my website here CLICKY
Jimi
Last edited by jimi on Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
trunks_mk1

Re: New Modification

Post by trunks_mk1 »

at it again! :)
Mk1Chris

Post by Mk1Chris »

Legend! Jimi is the king of electrical mods. =D>

Is there a wink mod where one of the lights goes down, then back up at the touch of a button? Not sure myself, but my mate swears he's seen cars with it and it could be fun. 8)
System-G

Post by System-G »

Good work Jimi =D>

I have seen a Celica Show car with the "Wink" mod, but then again he also had all these chavvy strobes and neons everywhere. Looked w@nk...
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Lunarmatic

Post by Lunarmatic »

Cool, I'll be making use of that for wiring up my foglight!

I spotted this spare connector behind my glovebox - any ideas where this one goes?

jimi

Post by jimi »

No, but I can find out :wink: Is that sitting on top of the heater ? If you can post or PM me the colours of the wires, it will help me to track it down
Jimi
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

I reckon that'd be really useful on the boot latch. Loads of people (including me) have had the little plastic clip that holds the latch bar to the lock break and had to drill out the lock.
Lunarmatic

Post by Lunarmatic »

jimi wrote:No, but I can find out :wink: Is that sitting on top of the heater ? If you can post or PM me the colours of the wires, it will help me to track it down
Jimi

It's on the far left close to the speaker and I think the thing in the bottom left of that picture is the wiper motor but I could be wrong. Given its location I presume it goes into the frunk.
IIRC the wires are mostly white/pale green colour but that's obviously too vague an answer so I'll get the proper pinout and colours tonight.

I've also got this blue plug (see below) on the left hand side of the instrument cluster that's unconnected. It would be ideal for wiring the fog light switch since I think the plug might even be the right size but I don't know what it's connected to at the other end! How do you go about tracing the wiring around the car, trial and error/patience with a multimeter or secret X-ray vision?

jimi

Post by jimi »

Limeymk1 wrote:I reckon that'd be really useful on the boot latch. Loads of people (including me) have had the little plastic clip that holds the latch bar to the lock break and had to drill out the lock.

:wink: not a bad idea, I may look into that and see how feasible it is
Lunarmatic
I use a combination of wiring diagrams, multimeter, years of experience as a sparky and a lot of time and patience :D ( plus a bit of good old fashioned luck )
Give me the colours of the blue one as well and I'll see what I can find out, I don't remember seeing a blue one in that location on mine, it may be an SC thing. Does your car have AC ? It might be something to do with the AC wiring
Jimi
Edit
I've had a look at my car and I don't have that spare connector behind the glovebox and I'm fairly sure I don't have the blue one either. I guessing its to do with the Aircon, but if you get me the wire colours I'll check them out on the drawings ( I have drawings that show the AC wiring ) oh and thats your heater blower motor in the pic. The wiper motor is in the front boot
Jimi
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

cool mod jimi
I like the look of the switches - they look as though they were meant to be there all along and are in keeping with the rest of the car
=D>
tunna_uk

Post by tunna_uk »

to make the lights wink, you just need to earth one of the wires on the retractor control relay, so a switch would do it...found out last night after trying to find out how to stop the headlamps going up on side lamps. sorted that after reading another post.
jimi

Post by jimi »

mr2mk1chick wrote:cool mod jimi
I like the look of the switches - they look as though they were meant to be there all along and are in keeping with the rest of the car
=D>

Got both switches from ebay, no idea what kind of car the boot release switch came from :oops: but I had to do some "adjustment to get it to fit. Its connected into the dash lights some the logo illuminates at night.
The other switch is new and fits the cut outs perfectly :D the place has them up on ebay pretty regularly I've got a link if anyone wants it. That was part of my plan.... to make them look as if they belonged there, seems to have worked IMHO
Last edited by jimi on Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jiff Lemon

Post by Jiff Lemon »

jimi wrote:Got both switches from ebay, no idea what kind of car the boot release switch came from

Looks like ford switches to me
jimi

Post by jimi »

Jiff Lemon wrote:
jimi wrote:Got both switches from ebay, no idea what kind of car the boot release switch came from

Looks like ford switches to me

You could well be right about the boot release switch, I've no idea :oops: but the other one definitely isn't Ford, its a new aftermarket one.
Jimi
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Jimi... YOU DA MAN !!!! :thumleft: ive got a gas strut on my engine lid & would love to fit your mod so that the lid lifts up on its own, but i have to manually lift the lid approx 1.5" before the strut takes over..... got any ideas on how to solve this one ???, would love to hear mate, cheers, Jinxy
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

That would be rather Pimp, Tony. :wink: I have a gas strut on my boot and I reckon if I hit the brakes hard enough with the latch undone it would auto open. :lol:
jimi

Post by jimi »

Tony
I've got a gas ram as well, but I have to lift it further than you before it lifts the lid itself. Its all down to the angles involved and where the ram is mounted (at both ends)
I'm still looking into this side of it as part of my plan was to set it up so that with a press of a button, the engine lid opened itself 8) W.I.P. more to come :wink:
Jimi
Like the sig, part of it looks familiar :lol:
Tony jinxy froude

Well done that man !! will definately be up for the revised version should you solve the problem Jimi. As for you Chris you really are bonkers mate !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Jinxy
P.S Jimi, i found that logo whilst surfing the net, havnt a clue where it originates from ?? hope i havnt commited any copyright law infringement !! :oops: let me know, ive been roasted enought this month as it is.
jimi

Post by jimi »

Nah you'll be fine, put it back, all I meant was it looks a bit like my avatar that I use somewhere else :wink: better not say where in case I get roasted :lol:

Last edited by jimi on Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony jinxy froude

Phew !! come to think of it Jimi, i think it was yours that i originally found, but i couldnt get it to "THROB" oer!, im trying like mad to get a thumbnail piccy of my car to fit in the box & upload if from Photobucket.... its a bloody nightmare !!!! :twisted: keeps coming up full size. Spanners, sockets, screwdrivers, all no problem, computors flaming lost mate !!!!, cheers, Jinx

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”