Koni Adjustable Suspension Setup

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

^Trickster^

Koni Adjustable Suspension Setup

Post by ^Trickster^ »

I have a set of koni adjustable dampers with H&R lowering springs.

Now I bought these second hand from a car that crashed after only having them on for about 1000miles. I was only going to pick up standard dampers originally because mine were leaking and generally not doing much lol.

Im not totally clued up on setting up suspension, I think it takes alot of skill to correctly adjust a car for different driving styles and I dont work with cars etc for a living, this is just a hobby.

I do suffer from understeer which I relaise mr2's are prone for anyway, but im wondering how I can adjust my dampers to handle corners abit better.

Ive put a bit of weight in the front with tools, spare wheel etc which has actually helped slightly, well you can notice a different with nothing in put it that way.

Im sure the point on the top of the dampers turns anti clockwise to make it softer and clockwise to make it harder.

Is it a wise idea to have the front softer than the back to try to help the understeer, but not to excessive to cause oversteer, or am I way off here?

Also to get both sides of the same axle at the same setting, do you simply turn it say all the way anticlockwise, then turn each one the equal ammounts to where ever you want them?

Is it a trial and error thing which is probably best done on the track?

Sorry for the long post just need to get these kind of things sorted out

Graeme
monkeyra
Premium Member

Re: Koni Adjustable Suspension Setup

Post by monkeyra »

I have these on mine.

IIRC, clockwise firms them up.

I'm still playing around with mine, drove down to cornwall on thursday with them set to the softest setting,

All depends how you like it, personal preference!
PsychomIKE

Post by PsychomIKE »

I've got Koni adjustables on my mk1 and plenty of fun playing with the setup - makes me chuckle when people describe hard/soft though... it's a damper and therefore fast or slow... the spring controls the stiffness. And also, slow at the front, fast at the rear does not make a more oversteery/less understeery car...it's just not that simple...

Only thing i can suggest is to take a piece of road you know well and drive it reasonably hard, but safe, with different settings and see what you prefer. I've done this and found a faster reacting front acutally suits me better and provides a lot less nose dive under heavy braking. And I don't suffer from any more understeer than in any other conditions. Try it out.

Cheers

Mike
[SiG]

Post by [SiG] »

Have Koni's here too dude, but tbh trial 'n' error seems the best way for you to find your own 'right' balance for her :)

Everyone's different ;)

Si

Return to “Mechanical”