Rev1 3SGE Compression Test Results

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Kiddo

Rev1 3SGE Compression Test Results

Post by Kiddo »

Hi all,

Could someone please cast their knowledgeable eyes over my compression test results. I'm pretty happy with them but I don't know the ins and outs of the 3SGE so hopefully I'm not missing anything as I had reason to believe the head gasket was on the way out (losing coolant, gunk in oil cap) but I'm hoping gunk was just short journeys and the coolant loss was a mix of air in the system and a dodgy rad cap. Engine's a rev1 3SGE with 124k miles.

I did the test with the engine up to temp and WOT. All plugs were removed, fuel injection relay pulled and the engine cranked 9 times.

Cylinder 4---Cylinder 3----Cylinder 2----Cylinder 1
----180---------180-----------190-----------190
----188---------190-----------190-----------185
----190---------190-----------195-----------193
----186(Av)----186.7(Av)----191.7(Av)---189.3(Av)

Thanks in advance,

Neil
abovetherim

Re: Rev1 3SGE Compression Test Results

Post by abovetherim »

Those figures are fine.

For coolant loss, start by filling and bleeding the system thoroughly. If you have oe rad then there is a bleed nipple on it you can attach a length of clear tubing on and run it up and hang it from open frunk. Also a bleed nipple in the frunk on the heater valve to do the same.
Once all the air is out also make sure the level in the expansion tank in the engine bay is correct.

As for losing coolant, check the rad, the coolant pipes behind the heat shield on the bulkhead and under the car. If you don't have a rock solid 9 o'clock temp gauge when up to temp then also change the t stat.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Hey Neil long time no speak.. If you need to get it in air to look for a leak give me ashout you can use the ramp at mine... :thumleft:

compression looks fine
Kiddo

Post by Kiddo »

abovetherim wrote:
For coolant loss, start by filling and bleeding the system thoroughly. If you have oe rad then there is a bleed nipple on it you can attach a length of clear tubing on and run it up and hang it from open frunk. Also a bleed nipple in the frunk on the heater valve to do the same.
Once all the air is out also make sure the level in the expansion tank in the engine bay is correct.

As for losing coolant, check the rad, the coolant pipes behind the heat shield on the bulkhead and under the car. If you don't have a rock solid 9 o'clock temp gauge when up to temp then also change the t stat.

Thanks for the reply abovetherim, I'll check those bleed nipples next time I have an MR2 day. I couldn't see any obvious coolant loss (leaks), but the level in the expansion tank was always very low after a long drive. Needle on the temp gauge was and is always right in the middle though. Now it's fine though, no loss at all recently with a new rad cap!
Kiddo

Post by Kiddo »

pistol pete wrote:Hey Neil long time no speak.. If you need to get it in air to look for a leak give me ashout you can use the ramp at mine... :thumleft:

compression looks fine

Hey Pete, yeah been a while. Finally met your nephew - he bought back the sub and amp from me a few months back so back to their original owner!

Thanks for the offer mate. Iif the MOT is a success, I'll be taking it for a long drive and hoping the coolant doesn't do a disappearing act. If it does, I'll take you up on the offer :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”