MR2 Turbo and De-Cat Question

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Madabout

MR2 Turbo and De-Cat Question

Post by Madabout »

For the MR2 Turbo model as it was never sold in the U.K. and is not on the MOT car database am I right in believing an MOT centre can't put it through as a cat test up until 1st August 1995? after that regardless from my understanding everything needed a cat.

I've done some research and get mixed info so would appreciate firsthand experience.
markstevieandmads

Re: MR2 Turbo and De-Cat Question

Post by markstevieandmads »

You are correct.
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

markstevieandmads wrote:You are correct.

Thanks mate.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Please post the MOT legislation that states this please
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Odin_S wrote:Please post the MOT legislation that states this please

Based on my info this is what I based it on.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... dition.pdf

I don't claim to be an expert on this hence my question of experiences others have had.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

I have this already, it doesn't say categorically that an import car doesn't need a cat.
jon

Post by jon »

Nic

Post by Nic »

Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

this has been covered many times before...

as a grey import vehicle the mr2 with a 3sgte engine is not in the MOT computer and is therefore subject to a NON-CAT test, (for cars manufactured 1/8/1992 to 31/7/1995) assuming that you've removed the cat in a way that doesn't make it patently obvious there used to be one there

for vehicles manufactured after 31/7/1995 they must have a cat and will be subject to a BET test, again as there is no match in the emissions 'book'

we all know the car came with a cat from the factory, and the book says if it had one and it's been removed then it's a fail

Reason for failure: A catalytic converter or particulate filter missing
where one was fitted as standard.

regardless of date of manufacture BUT the mot tester has no way of proving this (as long as you've not bashed the innards out of the stock cat etc) as it's not a type approved vehicle so has to give the benefit of the doubt if you show up with no cat on a pre 31/7/1995 car

there are exceptions, Q plates, kit cars etc.. but it's really quite straightforward, if you own a pre 31/7/95 car then fit a decat and take it to a tester who interprets the rules properly - and don't rock up saying "hi, I've de-catted my car, will you pass it please?"
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Thanks Nic. Explains why on my mx5s they also sometimes go through the non-cat test as the chassis number doesn't match the listings.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

regardless of date of manufacture BUT the mot tester has no way of proving this (as long as you've not bashed the innards out of the stock cat etc) as it's not a type approved vehicle so has to give the benefit of the doubt if you show up with no cat on a pre 31/7/1995

My point exactly, means it's still at the discretion of the tester. If the tester knows he's cars he could be a nob.
craig

Post by craig »

Odin_S wrote:regardless of date of manufacture BUT the mot tester has no way of proving this (as long as you've not bashed the innards out of the stock cat etc) as it's not a type approved vehicle so has to give the benefit of the doubt if you show up with no cat on a pre 31/7/1995

My point exactly, means it's still at the discretion of the tester. If the tester knows he's cars he could be a nob.

Pre August 1995 cars, what is he going to test emissions to?
CROOKY1811

Post by CROOKY1811 »

My 94 Rev 3 turbo was cleaner with the cat removed
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

craig wrote:
Odin_S wrote:regardless of date of manufacture BUT the mot tester has no way of proving this (as long as you've not bashed the innards out of the stock cat etc) as it's not a type approved vehicle so has to give the benefit of the doubt if you show up with no cat on a pre 31/7/1995

Pre August 1995 cars, what is he going to test emissions to?

ST205 Celica?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Section 7.3:

A personal import must be tested according to its date of first use. The only exemption to this is if the vehicle owner can present to the tester at time of test a letter from the vehicle manufacturer stating that the particular engine as originally installed could not meet the equivalent British emission standards.

For those converting a late NA to turbo with an older engine:

Vehicles fitted with a different engine must be tested to the requirements of whichever is older, the engine or the vehicle.
e.g. A 1995 car fitted with a 1991 engine (of whatever make), test to 1991 standards for emission purposes.

This is important, as following the processes and flowcharts in Section 7.3C lead us here:

There is no exact match in the emissions book as there was never a UK market 3SGTE powered MR2. Therefore you have to answer no, which leads you to the non-CAT test for cars / engines before 31st July 1995.

The full text in Section 7.1 for checking of the presence of a manufacturer fitted catalytic converter is as follows:

On spark ignition engine vehicles that qualify for a full catalyst emissions test and all compression ignition vehicles check the presence of catalytic converter(s) and particulate filter(s).

Note: To ascertain whether a spark ignition engine vehicle qualifies for a full catalyst test, use the flow charts in Section 7.3.C disregarding the result of the Basic Emissions Test.

As 7.3C tells us a non-CAT test is required, no cat is required.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Odin_S wrote:

ST205 Celica?

Not an MR2, not an exact match.
craig

Post by craig »

Gazza_DJ wrote:
Odin_S wrote:

ST205 Celica?