do not go gentle into that good night...(story)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Save it or let it go?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:24 am

Save it
48%
Save it
48%
Let it go
3%

Total votes: 29

pope_acute

do not go gentle into that good night...(story)

Post by pope_acute »

mr2 Rev4 turbo 1996 Azure blue

DO i save it? or do i just need to let it go?

owned 2 n/a's previous and had this tubby for 7 years now... was off the road for 3 years while i was driving 350z. Recently put it back on the road. had all both sills done and rotten bits in the boot taken care off(wheel arches and bottom of door on the way out now too). Then had engine failure got second hand parts and replaced all bearings and new seals etc. Drove it on the weekends for a few months and now the engine has ceased. Mechanic who rebuilt it(in his spare time) has stopped doing all extra work says he warned me of using second hand parts and engine could fail, and is not going to look at it.

It died right here 5 mins from home which looks set up but it's not (I'm from Scotland, but live in NI) and took photo of it as it looked poignant to me.(Belfast has lots of flags about the place):

Some say that is a nice swan song photo let it go...but i'm kinda of the ilk , rage against the dying of the light, it can be saved(still love it). Although i have asked 4 mechanics would they help none want to touch it. So it would have to be me. I ain't no mech but i can service the car, change discs and calipers and alternators etc. But never took engine out or apart for that matter. I have been told reground the cam and get oversized bearings? watched youtube of guy having same issue looks a lot of work even for someone who knows what they are doing.

So do i save it or do i just let it go (part it out)

:-k
'96 REV4 Turbo, MODS:japspeed exhaust,decat,downpipe,Apexi S-AFC,Apexi T-Timer,greddy intercooler,HKS induction,HKS BOV,sports clutch stage II,Yellow stuff,Matrix 17's,Yoko's & Toyo's
Draven

Re: do not go gentle into that good night...(story)

Post by Draven »

Get yourself a new engine, can be had for a reasonable price if the body is solid then do a simple swap.. :thumleft:

With an engine crane and a friend it can be done in a day.. (i'd never swapped an engine before i did it for the first time)

Car all good for another few years.

i vote save it. :thumleft:
Last edited by Draven on Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Ironically your question at the top is impossible to answer as you've only put Yes or no but asked 2 questions. So we don't know which one we're replying too.
pope_acute

Post by pope_acute »

Draven wrote:Ironically your question at the top is impossible to answer as you've only put Yes or no but asked 2 questions. So we don't know which one we're replying too.

i see what you're saying there... in the poll i was implying save it =yes or (don't save it) let it go =no.

unable to edit it.

yeah engine swap maybe a better option... :thumleft:
'96 REV4 Turbo, MODS:japspeed exhaust,decat,downpipe,Apexi S-AFC,Apexi T-Timer,greddy intercooler,HKS induction,HKS BOV,sports clutch stage II,Yellow stuff,Matrix 17's,Yoko's & Toyo's
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

I vote to save it.... or pass it on to someone who will

Too many cars being scrapped/broken that don't need to be
androo007

Post by androo007 »

I'd sell it tbh.

Dont scrap and make sure the next buyer keeps it on the road.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

If you are sure the shell is rust free, it's got to be worth saving either by you or a new owner. As has been suggested a straight engine swap would be worth considering, rather than trying to repair an engine that you've already had "repaired".

Paul
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

It's definitely worth saving. It would be such a waste to throw away a solid shell
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Depends how much money you want to throw at it. REV3 engine you're not going to be much change from £1k

I say kill it :twisted: and make these cars 1 car rarer.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

get another engine. under £200 for a working NA engine. Then it's just time on the driveway to swap the engine.

Cost a lot less than paying a crooked garage and you will learn so much about the car and cars in general, that those skills will hold you good for decades to come.

Engine cranes can be hired for little money or even buying one is about £120. Don't really need any special tools.

Give yourself and the car a new future :thumleft:
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

pbmr2 wrote:get another engine. under £200 for a working NA engine. Then it's just time on the driveway to swap the engine.

Cost a lot less than paying a crooked garage and you will learn so much about the car and cars in general, that those skills will hold you good for decades to come.

Engine cranes can be hired for little money or even buying one is about £120. Don't really need any special tools.

Give yourself and the car a new future :thumleft:

I guess you missed the bit where he says its a REV4 Turbo LOL
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

yep, missed that. Still might want an NA downgrade? :lol:

Still applies just more money for the lump. seen bare rev3 turbo blocks going for £1k-1500 recently.
A complete gen 4 costs about 1200 delivered and has more power. Don't see the draw for the rev 3 engine when better ones are now cheaper.

Could bolt on all extras from the rev 4 if wanted or use the gen 4 turbo and get a downpipe made or imported.

That or bin 4k of car due to lack of interest and forever wish you handn't.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”