aftermarket knock detection

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

C35Rob

aftermarket knock detection

Post by C35Rob »

anyone played about with any aftermarket knock detection kit?

i'm currently considering it to pacify my paranoia.. obviously I already have the knock readout and warning light set on my power FC, but I'm not certain how much faith I can put in the oem knock sensor

It seems like the knocklink has been superceded by the knocklink G4, which retails at ~ £300 with the knock sensor and loom

the only other similarly priced alternative I can see is this

http://www.phormula.com/KnockDetection-KS-3.aspx

which looks pretty good from their sales videos etc...

anyone have any real world first hand experience of either product?
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
ashley

Re: aftermarket knock detection

Post by ashley »

Save your money- it's just a bosch knock sensor with some kit on the back end to filter the signal for the frequencies your engine knocks at (I had one (the knock analyser) and ditched it asap)...if you've got det cans already (which I assume you do from your road mapping sessions?) then you can plug in a bosch sensor and data log the response you get while initiating a tiny bit of knock...and then use this to set up your own warning system.

The clever bit is closed loop sequential knock control- but the phormula kit doesn't do that...not sure if there is a stand alone product that does...but with £300 saved from the knock analyser, and the sale of your PFC, you could buy a second hand ECU with that capability included...
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

ashley wrote:.but with £300 saved from the knock analyser, and the sale of your PFC, you could buy a second hand ECU with that capability included...

I knew you would say that.. and you're 100% right. as much as I've stood up for the PFC in the past (and still will, to a degree) I am craving something a bit more feature rich..
Milo_101

Post by Milo_101 »

J&S safeguard. Give it a search.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Milo_101 wrote:J&S safeguard. Give it a search.

I've already seen it, too much money for ancient tech.. Would be cheaper to get a decent ECU :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Each person i've spoken to has only said good things about the Link G4 - i'll be going for that :thumleft: Pretty cheap too.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

androo007 wrote:Each person i've spoken to has only said good things about the Link G4 - i'll be going for that :thumleft: Pretty cheap too.

You're going for the G4 storm wire in ECU I assume? It does look like a nice bit of kit, not sure I can justify the outlay right now though.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”