Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Amebb

[Mk2] [NA] Starting issues

Post by Amebb »

Hi there

I need some help please....

I have a Mr2, MkII Glimited Auto.

A few months back i took the head off and replaced the head gasket etc.

Everything has been put back as it should be.

The timing is as it should be also, where the crank shaft pulley is at Zero mark and the cam shafts are aligned to the markings on top.

There is Fresh Fuel in the ar too.

I have also inserted the Dizzy as it should be where the rotor arm is at the 'no 1' cyclinder.

I have also checked the spark plugs and they are fine and also i am getting a spark from the leads too. I checked that earlier.

The problem is that the car turns ok..... but it dosnt start.

Has anyone else had this isssue and what else can I check ?

Thanks
'Honest, seriously, this wont hurt a bit ..... there you go........ 5h1t!!! he's dead!!........ Well, you should'nt have touched my Mr2 !!'
Amebb

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Starting issues

Post by Amebb »

Anyone ....????
'Honest, seriously, this wont hurt a bit ..... there you go........ 5h1t!!! he's dead!!........ Well, you should'nt have touched my Mr2 !!'
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Have you checked the ignition timing?

Does it fire if you spray some easy start in the intake - http://www.screwfix.com/p/bradex-easy-s ... 00ml/87503
Amebb

hi

Post by Amebb »

hi there

the timing is correct and yes it does come alive with you spray easy start in to the carb... but then it dies ....
Amebb

Post by Amebb »

Today, I have had a look at the timing.

The cam shaft cover was removed and i checked everything was correct.

The Cam shafts were in the correct position and the dizzy was inserted correctly so that the mark was aligned with the notch etc.

Then the cover was replaced and everything put back together.

I then checked the fuel pump to see if it was working correctly. I did this by Jumping FP with B+ in the grey diag box. with the ignition switched on the fuel pump was working fine.

The ignition leads were put back on my engine. My dizzy has 1,2,3 and 4 printed on it. So, from spark plug one, at the front of the engine the ignitiion lead was then connected to socket one on the dizzy and so on.

I really am not sure why the engine dosnt starrt.

I sprayed cold start in to the carb and waited a few mins before i started the engine... it worked for about 5 seconds then died again.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what i can try next ????

thanks

Return to “Mechanical”